Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is 16gb gonna be enough?

Cause that's what i got!

I was only really interested in Lemur and control when i bought the iPad but now i'm looking at all thes great apps but i'm wary of how much space i've got. I've got about 7.3gb spare (yep didn't consider the OS space) and i'm thinking it's gonna fill up pretty quick once i start using audiobus and sampling not to mention the apps so i think i may have to limit what i put on it.

Looking at what's available i'm thinking of using it as a performance and remix tool but loading tracks in from my DAW rather than using apps and recording the results to Audioshare or something like that for now anyway.

Cheers.

Comments

• There's plenty of folks getting by with 16 GB. It's going to depend on how prolific you are and at what point does file management become a pain.

• I think 32 will be ok, when you have an ipad you are always looking more an more apps and samples so 32 is a good start.

• I have a mini with 16G and am constantly deleting some apps to download others. Can be done, but my next iPad will be at least 64G.

• Worst case, you could get a small footprint DAW (MTDAW, or similar), Audiobus, and a bunch of apps, but just don't carry them all on your iPad. Keep most of them in your App Store purchases and load them when you want to try one in particular. The sad truth is, most of us true appoholics can't fit them all on our iPads easily. I have a 32 and by the time I load up Sampletank, Auria, GarageBand, Neo Soule Keys, Cubasis, and fifty other Synths, Amps, and Effects, my iPad is running slow. You just need a good app-management system. Gotta have Audiobus!

• If you stay away from large sample playback apps and make use of dropbox, yes.

Get to know iFunbox (desktop app) so that you can a) back up preset and stuff you make as you do the app shuffle described above and b) see if you can gut junk you don't need out of apps you want to keep.

Also, being Minutemen cover band can help!

• You can definitely get by with 16GB if you stay on top of managing your available space, but I would recommend getting a 32GB or higher whenever you purchase you next iPad. I personally won't buy another 16GB iPad. I went from 64GB original iPad, to 32GB iPad 2, and most recently a 16GB iPad mini retina. I thought I could get away with 16GB but I'm constantly having to delete and move things around, it's gotten to be quite irritating so from now on its 32GB or more for me.

• 16gb is enough unless you like sample tank and similar. Also some other stand alone sample based instruments are quite large I.e. Neosoul keys. Having 16gb for the last 3-4 years stopped me from downloading time wasting video games which I have a slight addiction to. Saying that if I could afford it I'd probably get 32gb but I'm not hugely happy with paying so much for what otherwise is reasonably cheap (flash).

• bear in mind you should be keeping at least 3G free for DAW workspace etc.

• if you're more into synths yes if you're more into samplers nope.

• No finite amount of RAM is ever enough...

• 32 GB minimum if you don't want to worry about it and also use the iPad for non-music stuff. 16 if you want to worry about it :)

• @dwarman said:

bear in mind you should be keeping at least 3G free for DAW workspace etc.

I must be doomed then as I'm living a risky life of live looping with never more (often less) that 2gb free space. Isn't this idea borrowed from the PC land?

• 32 is minimum, right
    but hope they will release new ipad in 16 and then 64 for the price of 32

• @superdom - iirc, Steinberg stated that was recommended for Cubasis.

• Maybe my Texan roots showing but bigger is better...

• Bigger is definitely better but you're in the wrong department :P

• I would recommend 64GB... but with 32 you'll be ok...
    With 16, you spend too much time juggling things around to be able to work :D

My biggest disk space eaters are:
    Sessionband apps (I have almost all of them), Sampletank, Tabletop (raw apps)
    Beatmaker 2, Alchemy, Caustic, iMaschine, Animoog and BS-16i (loaded with custom packs or iAPs)

That alone would probably eat the 16GB :P lol

• I'd recommend to start at 32, but 64 is better. That said, synths or samplers? If you have a lot of soundfonts, say, you can fill it up pretty fast. Alchemy with all the available libraries as of now is 2.2-2.3 GB. And the DAWs are no joke, either. BM2 is too f'ing big and it's too bad to be unable to delete factory samples.

• edited October 2014

I like 64 because I use my iPad as my primary computer. Once you start saving documents, audio files, magazines, books, etc you'll need all of the space you can get. In the long run it's worth the extra money so you can have room to breathe.

• It's a funny post because the OP clearly says "I have the 16Gb model already". I have an answer, but since there isn't anything he can do about it now, I'll refrain from posting it.

• edited October 2014

@All thanks for all the replies, i didn't expect so many! :)

I thought it might be pushing it if i want to use it as a primary music device, that wasn't my intention at all but the quality and range of the ios audio apps and the simple workflow is drawing me in so i'm trying to work out how i'd use it and how i'd manage stuff i was to start using a DAW.

So what's the most effective way of managing audio? I was thinking of doing it via itunes, importing and exporting projects and audio to an external drive which i'd use to transfer and store big files (do this with my laptop anyway) but someone mentioned an FTP manager. Anyway iFunbox does look like a solution, i saw that in the soundtestroom video.

Yeah the cost was a factor, it seemed crazy to spend another £50-100 for 16gb without knowing of storage without knowing if i'd exploit it but i'll have to manage! :'(

It's ok though, i prefer a 'puter for music production, iPad for sound design and fx processing but lets just say i have an ever expanding wishlist haha!

Maybe i'll get another ipad with more storage when the prices drop or an iphone, large capacity ipod touch and sync?

Cheers!

ETA I'm mainly interested in synths but there's a few sample based apps i'm interested. I could see the potential for Auria but from your replies i'm gonna run up against a storage wall rather quickly if i start to use as a production platform.

• Given your last, I'd say you should go 32Gb or higher. I have 32Gb, and it's comfortable. I do mix some business along with music on mine...say 10/90....way more music.

I've had to shuffle things at times, but I've become much more selective these days. That's not easy though...there's a good argument for having several similar apps, but if you get input from these folks, you should be able to get what you're looking for.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd look into the specific types of synths, or whatever, and ask a lot of questions here.

To answer one of your questions though....to manage audio, I'd recommend Audioshare, Dropbox, GoodReader, and iFunBox. All of those apps are great in different ways, but they are also great at handling files in the cloud, which should take some strain off the iPad's memory. I wish some of the music dev's would support Box though...since I have a good deal of empty memory there.

Apple's track, to this point, has been more memory for less money, but I feel that any manf. with that mindset is just milking us. Adding user memory is feasible, but we're forced to pay premium rates for fixed memories. I do like Apple in general, but that part irks me....soapbox dismounted.

• I'm on ipad2, with 16gb. Bought new when released. I'm constantly juggling apps and music, just to find enough space for things to run ( which is becoming harder and harder to do sucessfully). I'm running native instruments traktor DJ and have about 3Gb of music on there for dj use. Everything else is music production apps. ATM i have 12.8gb used and only 797mb available. Everything crawls along at a snails pace. Definately get more than a 16gb . I have less than 800mb for apps to use, and if sampling/drum apps maybe require 3gb to run efficiently, then I'm fighting a losing battle.
    Go for 32gb minimum, 64 or 128 if you can afford it.

• @boone51 said:

It's a funny post because the OP clearly says "I have the 16Gb model already". I have an answer, but since there isn't anything he can do about it now, I'll refrain from posting it.

Yeah title seems to be misleading people. :P

• edited October 2014

@funjunkie27 said:

Given your last, I'd say you should go 32Gb or higher. I have 32Gb, and it's comfortable. I do mix some business along with music on mine...say 10/90....way more music.

I've had to shuffle things at times, but I've become much more selective these days. That's not easy though...there's a good argument for having several similar apps, but if you get input from these folks, you should be able to get what you're looking for.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd look into the specific types of synths, or whatever, and ask a lot of questions here.

To answer one of your questions though....to manage audio, I'd recommend Audioshare, Dropbox, GoodReader, and iFunBox. All of those apps are great in different ways, but they are also great at handling files in the cloud, which should take some strain off the iPad's memory. I wish some of the music dev's would support Box though...since I have a good deal of empty memory there.

Apple's track, to this point, has been more memory for less money, but I feel that any manf. with that mindset is just milking us. Adding user memory is feasible, but we're forced to pay premium rates for fixed memories. I do like Apple in general, but that part irks me....soapbox dismounted.

Main concern is there being enough space when i've got my apps installed for sampling recording performances. I'm interested in the granular stuff and apps like Samplr and Protein Der Klang. I'll be loading tracks and samples in from my DAW and processing them and recording the results into another app.

Thanks for the app recommendations, i get different options in different apps, haven't set up the cloud yet cause of the 30 page EULA lol. I dl'd Audiocopy but doesn't seem to have compatibility with my apps so looks like i have to pick up Audioshare. Once i get the audio management set up should be good.

Cheers.

• edited October 2014

@gsm909 said:

I'm on ipad2, with 16gb. Bought new when released. I'm constantly juggling apps and music, just to find enough space for things to run ( which is becoming harder and harder to do sucessfully). I'm running native instruments traktor DJ and have about 3Gb of music on there for dj use. Everything else is music production apps. ATM i have 12.8gb used and only 797mb available. Everything crawls along at a snails pace. Definately get more than a 16gb . I have less than 800mb for apps to use, and if sampling/drum apps maybe require 3gb to run efficiently, then I'm fighting a losing battle.
    Go for 32gb minimum, 64 or 128 if you can afford it.

Too late! I did consider a 32gb but i was only wanting it for a control surface and a few apps. I'll see how it goes, slowly adding the apps i want. I'm really not planning to add loads of stuff but Traktor is on my list. What bitdepth do you use for mp3s?