Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do i record demanding synthesizers?

Hello! I've been trying to use iMini for a few songs. I love the sound of it but when i'm trying to use it in Cubasis it's just too much for my iPad. I've got and iPad3 by the way. I've tried using Audiobus, FreEWI, Inter-app audio etc, but nothing works the way i want it to. If i freeze the track nothing sounds right, there's latency on just some of the notes which makes it unusable. If i try to record it i get the clipping sound with it. The best way of fixing this problem might be to increase the latency to get rid of the clipping and then after recording the track, just move it over to get rid of the latency. Would this work? If so, how can i do it? Are there any better ways of doing it?

Btw, forgot to say that i can't use iMini with Audiobus right now because it isn't updated which is a shame, but feel free to give tips when using Audiobus too, because i'm definitely going to use it when they update iMini. Thanks!

Comments

• Yes, latency trick should work. Don't know how to make micro adjustments in cubasis but slipping it back by ear will probably work fine.

Depending on what you need from iMini another option might be sampling the sound into something more resource friendly like BM2.

• @syrupcore said:

Yes, latency trick should work. Don't know how to make micro adjustments in cubasis but slipping it back by ear will probably work fine.

Depending on what you need from iMini another option might be sampling the sound into something more resource friendly like BM2.

Thank you for the answer, syrupcore! I've tried sampling the sounds before, but the problem with that is that for example LFOs won't work like they should. Also things like filters might not be the same. It might work on some sounds though.

Do you have any idea how to change the latency? I just couldn't find any option for it.

Thanks!

• Are you sure it's a resource problem or is it just a bug - http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5986/cubasis-timing-with-different-iaa039s-many-falls-early ? I can't do any audio in Cubasis because everything is out of sync.

• razraz
    edited October 2014

To give you an example: I have an iPad mini retina and I program a drum pattern in midi using a Cubasis instrument. Then I add iMini as IAA with a super simple pattern of notes between the kick drum hits - the CPU meter barely moves from zero. Everything is in sync.

I click freeze and then the audio is not in sync any more, it still looks symmetrical though which indicates that it might be at a different BPM.

Edit: someone from the Cubasis forum posted a solution for this - setting latency to 256 instead of 512 (settings gear icon - audio - hardware latency)

• @raz said:

Edit: someone from the Cubasis forum posted a solution for this - setting latency to 256 instead of 512 (settings gear icon - audio - hardware latency)

Thank you so much, that fixed the freezing problem, but i'm still having problems with clipping. Do you have any clue how i can increase the latency (to give iMini more buffer time)? In Cubasis there is an option called "Output latency" on the MIDI-tab, but it doesn't seem to give the synth more buffer time.

• Turn on Airplane mode too.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

Turn on Airplane mode too.

Ah, good idea! I'll definitely try that. Thanks!