Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 1.8.2 on iOS 7.1.2

xenxen
edited September 2014 in General App Discussion

Thought I'd share a few workarounds for Cubasis 1.8.2 problems with iOS 7.1.2

1. Connecting Cubasis on the input and output slot of Audiobus (re-sample heaven two days ago) no longer works. Nasty noises that sound quite mechanical result - if I find a way of hooking up some app into the loop I may be able to sample this and get something heavy and industrial going. Workaround: sample into another app in the output slot (Master Record for example) and then import back into Cubasis.

2. Having Cubasis in the input slot and running any IAA instrument and trying to record into an app in the output slot fails. No sound from the IAAs. Workaround: freeze the IAA tracks first and the audio then plays out fine.

3. Mixing down audio between locators. If you uncheck the option to include effect tails, Cubasis has other ideas and is clearly convinced you really want the added step in your workflow of opening the export in yet another app and trimming the tails manually. So it kindly ignores your obvious mistake and includes the tails for you. Workaround: smoke cigarette, drink coffee, resist urge to stamp on iPad and trim the tail in AudioShare. EDIT: the button function has just been reversed, check to include the tails and they don't get included in the mixdown.

4. Tera synth now fails in the IAA slot. Workaround: works ok in Audiobus with a separate MIDI track.

I'll add more as I discover them, for the benefit of the Luddites among us.

Comments

1. Unless you need to stick an FX app into the chain, you can just solo the tracks you wish to resample and do a mixdown. Then doubletap the mixed wav and it'll appear as a new track. Or is that too luddite?
  • Good point, but I was running through Level.24 which (sadly) is Audiobus only, else I would have just added it to the master bus and done as you suggest.

• If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd sit tight as long as I can, unless you have a reason you have to upgrade.

You have a lot of apps to learn and master. focus on that, and upgrade when the dust settles.

• OK. on 1.) I agree - no way around. Seems broken

2.) and 4.) Can be overcome by using Airplane mode (a fix that seems to be working with much to cure 7.1.2 problems that shouldn't occur) E.g. I can start Cubasis in input slot, run Tera as an IAA and record into MTDAW in the output slot. But ONLY with Airplane mode (i.e. no wifi) on.

3.) Cubasis still includes long tails of silence even though this was meant to be fixed in this release. The Cubasis note said it was rare. It happens to me every single time I record (did in 1.8.N as well - not just the latest release).

• These things should not happen. We were not given an indication that adding support for the AB 2.1 SDK to make the apps 8 ready would break them with AB on 7.1.2 - this is an unexpected and unwelcome result. I have upgraded every app so far. This did not happen with other apps previously updated to the AB 2.1 SDK - so - something around the 8 launch has hosed something else here. Hopeful of a quick resolution from the AB team :-)

• @Musicinclusive

Thanks for the airplane mode tip. Now I think of it I had read that, but thought it was connected to cellular ipad problems not general wifi, I'll test later when I get back from work.

On the tails point, yes, I'm still getting trouble with a half second or so of silence. But the problem is also that the button function is reversed, leading to delay/reverb tails when you record between locators if you have the button where it should be, if that makes sense?

• edited September 2014

I am easily getting 2minute tails... @xen

• ... and reported to Steinberg @xen

• @Musicinclusive..

Ok, this is getting weirder. You sort of hope for some consistency when fault finding, but this is just random.

Tera still doesn't work for me, even with airplane mode on. It works ok if I set it up as an IAA instrument and play it from the Cubasis keyboard, until I switch to Tera. Once I switch back to tera, silence. This is exactly the same behaviour I had before switching on airplane mode.

With the input/output slot problem in Cubasis, when I put it in airplane mode I still just get a distorted mess. Albeit a slightly less distorted mess than I had before, but still not usable.

I left a post on the steinberg forum yesterday about the change in behaviour of the mixdown tails button. I haven't done anything about the Audiobus or IAA problems as I guess these are due to iOS8 changes and the only viable solution is to upgrade. Come on korg, hurry up!

• OK. From Steinberg in the Cubasis forums re: the missing transport controls:

"Hello,

our engineers can reproduce the Audiobus problem, we will further investigate the problem to fix it in the next maintenance update!"

• I have strange problem on ipad mini

Put any input into ab, put cubasis as output. Them double click system button and force close all three: input app, cubasis and ab.

Now i have a red system stripe saying: Caramel (Recording)

Yes i do have caramel installed but i didnt run it, nor it is in last used apps ( i always free memory and removing all previously used apps )

• Yeah, forgot to say, i need to start and force close Caramel to get rid of this red stripe

• xenxen
    edited September 2014

Did you once have caramel as an IAA in the Cubasis project? If you haven't removed it from the project it will open in the background and won't show when you swipe to show open apps. I get this quite a lot. If you tap the red stripe you this should open the app, then you can swipe and it should show up up so you can close it.

On occasion tapping the stripe doesn't bring up the app, so then I just restart the ipad.

• Was it used originally in the cubasis project that you're opening? I have it happen with tone stack a lot. If you completely delete the track that it was on originally it won't happen next time you open cubasis.

• Yes, this is it :-)
    Is it a cubasis or ab bug?

• More likely Cubasis, as I get it with IAA.

• @xen
    Level 24 is also IAA...

• @Littlewoodg - thanks, you're right, it is now, but it wasn't last week. The iOS8 update added IAA support.
    I've also stopped updating apps 'cos I'm staying on iOS 7 for the foreseeable future, so I won't be getting IAA on Level.24 just yet :(

• @xen
    Timing is all they say.
    (I did do the Level 24 update, forgot that I did, and am still on iOS 7. It all good inside MTS. Theoretically, the upgrade should not affect how it runs in 7. So far I've done all the updates for 8 on stuff on running in 7, the only issue I had was Animoog for iPhone, where one update got me Animoog IAA and the next update - for 8- broke IAA, this only on iPhone tho)

• @Littlewoodg. That's encouraging. I was updating until last Saturday, then I lost iVoxel. Later that day I found Tera stopped working with Cubasis via IAA and then started getting Cubasis and AudioBus problems with the Cubasis update. At that point I stopped updating. For now the apps I'm currently using in projects are ok so I'm prepared to sit it out for a bit longer.

• edited September 2014

@xen
    What is weird, I'm feeling this pull to do the 8 update even though it's so clearly a bad idea, based on things heard on this forum and elsewhere.

I think I'm just caught up in the timetable of Apple, for soft and hardware...thinking about that 6 plus, and the new 8 flavor even tho iOS 7 and my hardware (5s, iPad 4) are far from unsatisfactory. They're actually #%?#ing amazing...

That's how I broke IAA on Animoog I just pressed the update button, more than half knowing it was a bad idea, I had even read here that that update was problematic on iPhone...

I've had no problem on my DAWs of choice, BM2 and MTS, as I've duly updated synths with the 8 update. I'm using mostly IAA on both daws and only AB for synths that won't run in IAA. I have Cubasis, but it hasn't been my main chick, or side-chick even, in a while...
    Will be waiting out the upgrade till I guess BM2 does the 8, or maybe till BM3 goes live...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@xen
    Level 24 is also IAA...

oh,good news.I always had this one on my list.How is it working as IAA in Cubasis?Smooth?Hope that means LiveFX will get an IAA update soon as well...

• @Littlewoodg

It's all a hit and miss isn't it? I'm part way through a couple of tracks using iPoly6 and iMS-20 and won't be upgrading until they are updated. I also don't want to lose ReBirth, so I'm hoping Propellerheads has it on their to-do list.

• I'm still on iOS 7.1.2 and using Cubasis 1.8.2. Has anyone else noticed that Cubasis won't send midi to IAA midi tracks? I noticed this with at least Z3TA+ and Animoog on iPad.

At this point I'm wondering if it's better to just bite the bullet and upgrade to iOS 8. Do these problems go away?

I may have to get ok with leaving some apps behind in the interest of having my go-to apps start working again.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@xen
    Timing is all they say.
    (I did do the Level 24 update, forgot that I did, and am still on iOS 7. It all good inside MT

I bought Level.24 now for use it as IAA but cant get it to work.No matter if it's Cubasis,Audioshare or Multitrack...Am i missing something?It's just doing nothing,not even passing the bypassed signal.Still on 7.1.2 as well.

And i Would like to update Cubasis to 1.8.2 cause it has some nice fixes.Any other problems besides AB not working properly and Tera not working as IAA?

• It's all a bit two steps forward and one step back right now, but I guess that's the evolving way of iOS at this point in our little history. 1.8.2 is an improvement (I think), but there's so many variables in our equation currently because of 8 that it's hard to know who to be properly grumpy at...

• edited October 2014

I'm so fucking tired of this shit.Where are the Beta testers when you need em?

If i can't get at least Level.24 to work today it will immediately refunded later.I'm done with apps collecting dust while praying for an update.

Sorry for the rant.