Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ivoxel app, do not update to 2.7.0 (if you are still on iOS 7), FIXED on 2.7.2

Hi,
I updated ivoxel and it's pretty unusable for now (ios7). Send mail to the devs ,hope they will fix it.

Comments

• Yeah, it's knackered. I updated earlier and just checked it. Half the tabs at the top don't work and when you play a note it plays really slow and doesn't seem to stop.

• @lala said:

Fine on 8

Ooops, hope it doesn't mean they dropped ios 7....Thanks @lala

• Ok, I'll stop updating apps for now. Many are having problems on 7.1.2...

• This is all a right pain. You shell out for the ipad and the apps, which is fine. But then you have to play Russian roulette when apple deliver an update. It seems that, for the time being you end up with some of your apps not working no matter which way you jump.

• edited September 2014

arrgh, you people are so confused
    if you are still on iOS 7 just don't updated your apps, simple

• Yes but there where some problems with latest ab2 modifications and devs updated to the latest version of ab2. It wasn't only for jumping to ios8. Also ivoxel had a bug where in some cases the hold mode was engaged which is fixed now but everything else is messed up...

• I have been updating my apps, I guess I'll stop for the time being, won't be going to 8 for a little while. Actually, even if I wanted to, doesn't seem like I can get the update, my daughter's iPhone has been trying to download it for a few days and won't (plenty of free space). My phone will definitely get updated before my iPad as my iPad is my main music tool and I'm mixing my project right now in auria, can't afford any downtime.

• If it doesn't work just reinstall it from a backup, panic over.

• It's not as simple as just don't update. This is a complete cluster.

• When there's a risk updating, devs warn about that in capital letters...this is simply ridiculous, many people with ipad 2 maybe will stay on iOS 7 so, does it means their apps don't updgrade anymore (even to solve those bugs not related with iOS update)?

I hope not.

I have iPad 4, still on iOS7, and upgrading everything...fingers crossed.

• xenxen
    edited September 2014

@supadom - hmm that back up that I kept putting off.. Lesson learnt.

@lala - that's a fair point. I was thinking we may start seeing some apps showing problems with iOS 7. The majority of apps I've updated still work ok. I'm holding out until the korgs are sorted and then I'll take the plunge.

@fjcblanco - this is where I have a concerns about the ipad development model. I'm pretty new to this format and hadn't really considered backwards compatibility before. The ipad and apps were a pretty significant investment for me (which has been good so far). I try and wring the life out of hardware and to hear people with ipad models only a couple of years old being left behind already seems a bit rough. I've owned a lot of my studio hardware for over 15 years and my studio PC is now 8 years old. That to me is value for money. I got my AN1x synth at the end of its production run in '98 for £500 (still going strong). I dropped over £500 in July on the mini retina and it might only have a viable shelf life of 2 or 3 years. Guess I just need to adjust my expectations (and economise on non-essentials like food and bills to keep up with anticipated future spend).

• @lala: wellwellwell, just because there is a ios8-compatibility update for my App shouldn't mean it won't work with ios 7 anymore, should it? shit happens sometimes, though, and I also don't think anybody needs to start whining rightaway, it will all be worked out...cheers, peace, chills

• At least one person I know of originally had a paying gig tonight in which they use iPads live on stage. They, like me and like many who read the strong suggestion from the AB team to wait on the upgrade to iOS 8 because of the lack of app updates being completed yet, have not updated to iOS 8 in order to avoid the apps they rely which have not been updated for iOS 8 compatibility no longer working.

Said person uses an app that has not been updated for iOS 8 and that app is no longer playing nicely with AB on 7.1.2. (same app, same problem for me too)

Some people are relying on this to continue to work in a revenue generating environment and the app updates for iOS 8 should not have broken apps on 7.1.2. If an app is now requiring iOS 8 only, then it should say so on the app store. (None do as far as I know.)

Some apps that updated several weeks ago for iOS 8 / AB SDK 2.1 compatibility did not do this when downloaded and installed. I and others have been using them - and 7.1.2 just fine.

The state of affairs needs addressing - pronto.

There was no hint given that as apps updated for iOS 8 they would break things esp. with Audiobus on iOS 7 or that users on iOS 7.1.2 should not update such apps. That's certainly not been true for apps that updated in good time.

Similarly there was no hint that somehow iOS 7 would have developing issues even for apps not updated by the developers yet. Many have stayed on iOS 7 in order to avoid such issues - esp. in cases where they rely on the iPad as part of their music business.

As it happened the person I referred to above's gig was postponed but they have upcoming events too and need answers.

Looking forward to this getting worked out - certainly - and - yes - maybe "in time" - BUT - the things that have broken on 7.1.2 have not been expected. That should be addressed very quickly - not just "eventually".

I don't expect to update to iOS 8 any time soon. I DO expect what I have on iOS 7.1.2 to keep on running and that things that haven't been updated to not break - that is bizarre - and wrong.

Soooo, - let's hope for a resolution for this within a small handful of days - if not hours. Certainly not weeks. iOS 8 can wait - this can't.

• edited September 2014

What app are you talking about that didn't get updates for iOS 8 and is now *ucked up on 7.1.2?
    If you are still on 7.1.2 and u didn't update something everything is as it was 2 weeks ago!

There are still a lot of app updates for iOS 8 stuck in the apple review, situation isnt bad, and certainly not as bad as it may look from the outside...

• edited September 2014

@lala Anything in the input slot exhibits the following behavior if wifi is on:

I have tried this on multiple iPads with different configurations (mini original, mini Retina, iPad 3), all running 7.1.2. I have the latest app update for every app that is available, Audiobus and 7.1.2 . None of my iPads have cellular.

1.) App willl start just fine, but AB will not switch back to the AB overview screen. Does not matter whether it has been updated or not.

2.) The audio will not be routed to the AB chain - doesn't matter what app you route to - whether it has been updated or not. (MTDAW, Cubasis updated, Auria not updated).

3.) There is a partial unsatisfactory workaround - one can switch off wifi. Doing so however continues to cause, e.g. Cubasis to then lose its transport controls. This auto-fixed itself for a while after being reported to Steinberg - something about registering with AB from their end they said - but then has reappared - quite absent of any further changes to Cubasis.

Now, I don't mind switching off wifi to work with audio. In fact I advocate it - I have no use for wifi or BT when using these apps usually - I mostly use hardwired keyboards / connections only - so hardly ever any wifi MIDI or the like.

However, having to do that is an arbitrary change that occurred without any obvious reason, and if I was someone who wanted / needed to use wifi or BT I would be stuck with a completely dead setup that worked days before.

It also occurred for example using the following chain where NOTHING has changed about my setup (i.e. all the apps used have not yet been updated):

Animoog (or iMini, iPolysix, iiMS-20, Modal Pro, TF 7, Thor, DXi, Grain Science, Sample Tank, iGrand, Epic Synth - pick one...) in the input slot

Auria in the output slot.

No connection is made. No track is created in Auria.

Nothing about that should have changed.

4.) For some others, even turning wifi off / on / off again isn't helping.

5.) Rebooting isn't helping.

6.) Waiting to see if it's just a case of something that shouldn't have changed catching up (whatever that might mean :-) ) isn't helping (for days).

7.) Since Audiobus hasn't been updated either in this time frame - there is no apparent logical explanation.

Some notes:

a.) I am not alone in experiencing this - others on the iPad Musician group have experienced the same thing

b.) It has been reported here already in other threads. My reason for repeating it here is to be of help to you, to others reading this, and if once again to the AB team - to them too. I am not seeking to complain - I love Audiobus as do we all :-) - only note observations with a request for an ASAP fix and a sincere hope we do not see this kind of thing happen again.

c.) It has been notified in a support request to the AB team already as requested of me by Sebastian

d.) It should not have happened as it has nothing to do with a move to iOS 8 - esp for apps that have not yet been ported to be iOS 8 / AB SDK 2.1 compatible.

e.) This just "happened" - On Tuesday all of the above were working fine. Now they are not. I did not previously have to switch off wifi to get my non-iOS8 apps to play together in AB. I did not have missing transport controls.

Does that clarify @lala? :-)

• edited September 2014

Oh oh, there is weird s#it happening, who knows how long it will take to get things sorted out

Switch to iOS 8, updated apps work fine :)

U have two options, make no music with ab on 7 now or switch to 8 and make music now ;)
    I hAve a big ab setup running in the background as I am typing this :)

• The apps I most use haven't yet been ported @lala - so - I won't move until they are. That's something I'm taking (or thought I was taking ;-) ) great care about. I think I can survive on 7.1.2 for the moment with the workaround, but apparently others are having further issues too as I say.

• Don't bet your life apps like Akai Synthstation update soon.

• Ok, I got a reply from the dev and said a new version is already waiting for approval :)

• Perhaps Apple has switched on a few logic bombs in iOS 7 now that they want everyone to install iOS 8. Switching off WiFi stops iOS interrogating whatever flag Apple has set...

• That's so funny, I tried my updated iVoxel (still ios7.1.2 on iPad4 and Air), and have quite different hickups going: it plays fine, but a third of the screen doesn't react to touches at all... Doesn't really bother me badly right now, but there seem to be lots of different things going on, depending on ? sytem/accounts/who knows??

• @animal said:

That's so funny, I tried my updated iVoxel (still ios7.1.2 on iPad4 and Air), and have quite different hickups going: it plays fine, but a third of the screen doesn't react to touches at all... Doesn't really bother me badly right now, but there seem to be lots of different things going on, depending on ? sytem/accounts/who knows??

It's the same issue , plus the annoying AB2 icon on the bottom, but they'll fix those issues soon...

• @lala and all. At the risk of cross-posting - but I know not everyone is reading every thread :-)

From Steinberg re: the transport controls issue:

"Hello,

our engineers can reproduce the Audiobus problem, we will further investigate the problem to fix it in the next maintenance update!"

• Yes iVoxel 2.7.0 was not working on iOS 7. So,

on a Mac I used my Time Machine Backup from before September 19 to
    -find my iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications folder,
    -restore the iVoxel.ipa version 2.6.0 to my Desktop, (hold down the control key on the file and select restore location)
    -exit Time Machine and go to my current iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications folder,
    -delete iVoxel 2.7.0 from that folder and replace it with the restored 2.6.0.ipa,

then i went to my iPad and deleted iVoxel 2.7.0

then i connected my iPad to my iTunes, and with the iPad / Apps tab, that has a list of all apps to Install/Remove, i selected iVoxel which now showed as Install. I dragged it over to the Home Screens view on the right side pane, and synced my iPad.

I've got 2.6.0 back, and it works just fine now.

Voila, hope that helps.

• 2.7.2 update =fixed. Although I had some issues like launching and got message like "port unavailable", or acting as IAA instrument inside AB2! BUT I reset my ipad and it's working.

Still don't understand why it shows as "iVoxel" and "iVoxel (MIDI)", since "iVoxel (MIDI)" doesn't work...

• Yes, fixed. (iPad 4, iOS7.0.2 JB)

• Not fixed here (ipad2 iOS 7.1.2)
    No sound in AB, and the connection animation when a synth is connected to a speaker is not present. Tried with an fx too, and rebooted- nothing.

• @Zymos said:

Not fixed here (ipad2 iOS 7.1.2)
    No sound in AB, and the connection animation when a synth is connected to a speaker is not present. Tried with an fx too, and rebooted- nothing.

instead of reboot ,could you try a reset?BTW does it work standalone?

• With the 2.7.2 update it's working again now, I only tested standalone, though.