Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Garageband Update - MIDI over bluetooth?

GB update notes state:

Use MIDI over bluetooth to wirelessly connect compatible musical keyboards and controllers.

This could be really cool. I only know of blueboard which requires the app to translate the data. Anyone know of any compatible controllers?

Comments

• I think bluetooth will be a big deal for mobile musicians in the near future. Especially with the capabilities already built in to the OS. Audio/Midi devices, bluetooth controllers and Keyboards. In my home studio I'm constantly fighting to get rid of (and hide) cable spaghetti, but it's almost impossible. Everything wireless, given that it all plays nice together would be a game changer.

• edited September 2014

@funjunkie27 said:

I'm surprised Apple already added this to GB if that is the only one out there at the moment. Hoping for a similar device at some point that works with MIDI over USB instead of just standard 5 pin MIDI, or controllers/keyboards with bluetooth pre-built in. Only main issue is that without bus power you will still need a cable to power the device or batteries.

• I got the Apple MIDI over Bluetooth working today, going between Logic on OS X Yosemite, and GarageBand on an iOS 8 iPad. It does in fact work -- but to my knowledge, they have not published details about the protocol, making it hard for software and hardware developers to use it. I don't know if the Quicco team has been given info or not (and the same goes for Miselu). The contacts I have at the MIDI Manufacturers Association don't know much.

I'm feeling better about the prospects for Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth than I was a few days ago. Unless Apple has a lot of stuff up their sleeves that they have not revealed, I think it's going to be slow going for their approach....

• Considering how daft they've been with IAA, you may be safe, Patrick!

• If there's no discernible latency then I'm excited.

• edited September 2014

I just got iOS8 bluetooth midi working with pretty much any app that already supports midi :) Because all you really need is a suitable app on your devices that allows you to set one of the devices as a bluetooth midi peripheral, and the other device to be the master/central device.

So I found the stuff in garageband that let me set it to be the central device and discover & connect to peripherals. On my iPhone I used mitosynth to set the iPhone up as a bluetooth midi peripheral. Then I connected to it in garageband on the iPad. Then I ran other apps on both devices, and bluetooth shows up in the standard list of midi controllers in these apps, so bingo :)

The only problem I had really is that mitosynth seems to have a bug that stops either bluetooth config page from loading when used on an iPad, the app just crashes. So right now I lack an app for the iPad that will let me use it as a peripheral, so cannot connect 2 iPads together at the moment.

• We might also see a new range of midi Bluetooth keyboards in the near future

• Quick...someone build a midi bluetooth to USB adapter to hook up to our cheap midi controlers!

• When was this GB update posted? I have received no update notices from the App Store concerning GB...

• @Brain you got to be on iOS 8

• Isn't it still a bad idea to update to iOS8?

• @Brain said:

Isn't it still a bad idea to update to iOS8?

For the record I got the GB update on my phone which I updated to iOS8. I haven't updated my iPad yet.

• I was hoping we'd see the drummer from the desktop GarageBand in iOS, but gb updates do not happen often, so I guess it won't happen anytime soon (if it is ever planned to happen at all).

• Next question: IF I wanted to update to iOS 8, how would I do so? I assume that - as before - I will get a notification for the update. What's the word on when it is officially available?

• @Brain said:

Next question: IF I wanted to update to iOS 8, how would I do so? I assume that - as before - I will get a notification for the update. What's the word on when it is officially available?

It's publicly available now, just check for iOS updates in iTunes or in the settings app of your device

• After today's double whammy of Apple news, I ain't doin' nuttin'!