Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favorite iPad DAW

Hello all. I was wondering what DAW people are using. I just got started with Cubasis, but I know there are others out there like BeatMaker 2, Auria, and Fruity Loops Studio Mobile HD. Some are just audio. Some have MIDI and audio.

What do you use the most?

Comments

• edited September 2014

I have MTDAW, BM2 and Auria. I actually use Auria. I usual work with audio (as opposed to MIDI) and like Auria's general workflow. I know a lot of people are waiting for it to get MIDI, but I'm hoping multi-take loop recording shows up soon.

• Plain ol' GB. Not many features but I'm really at home with it.

• Caustic. IMHO the absolute best bang-for-the-buck music app for iOS. Sampling synth and drum machine, subtractive synth, TB-type synth, FM synth, Karplus-Strong synth, additive synth, modular synth, 8-bit synth, organ, vocoder, mixer, FX and more like a very nice sample editor and an awesome loop editor with multiple types of looping and loop-point editor. Plus an active forum and accessible dev. I was unaware of Caustic on iOS for a long time since it started out on Android but I'm really glad I tried it. No audio tracks at this point (dev is looking into it as well as time-stretch which is the main thing missing from the sampling engine) but since my music is essentially instrumental, sampling fills that need for me. It's AB compatible so I could dump tracks into Auria if needed. I have many iOS music apps but since I started using Caustic I've stopped dicking around with trying to make a bunch of different apps work together and now I can focus on making music. I still use other apps, but mostly to make loops and samples for Caustic. Right now I keep Caustic, Audiobus, AudioShare and Samplr on my ipad. I only pull in another app when needed and that's not very often. I am not associated in any way with Caustic other than as a satisfied user.

• edited September 2014

all of em

• edited September 2014

i like garageband, its really basic - but u can import your projects in garageband/logic on the desktop.
    Actually I have to say audiobus is my favorite daw, everything I do starts here. :)

• edited September 2014

As of today projects start everywhere and anywhere but everything ends up in Auria, which I feel comfortable with, but more than anything has kick-ass plug-ins. For all of that, and as is being increasingly repeated hereabouts, the best DAW is the one you get things done with....

• I chose to use Cubasis and have never regretted it. When I couple it with audiobus it just makes recording so simple and fun. Not to mention the excellent support they offer.

• I'm not trying to be a smartass when I tell you to use the forum search box. I probably am a smartass, but that's not something I specifically try to do. The forum search box can help to keep you entertained for days. There are tons of threads on ios DAWs. I'm partial towards Auria, partly due to the mind-melting awesomeness of the Timeless plug-in.

• edited September 2014

@Janie Well yes, you are a smartass, but here we are in the present. Time has moved on and people might have more experience with other programs they may want to share. :-)

• @Tritonman2 said:

I chose to use Cubasis and have never regretted it. When I couple it with audiobus it just makes recording so simple and fun. Not to mention the excellent support they offer.

+1. I finally caved and purchased Cubasis when it was on sale for 30% off just recently and so far it's looking like the best music related purchase I've ever made. I was using GarageBand and Music Studio before and while they are both pretty good in their own ways they weren't pushing me to complete anything. Cubasis Is such a complete package with such a great interface. For whatever reason it just makes it much easier to complete whole songs if that's what the goal is. I still like tinkering, and creating bits and parts, but I now feel confident that I can take any cool bits and parts that I come up with and weave them into a full song if I want to.

Cubasis was that missing link for me and well worth the money.

• Nobody's mentioned it yet, but after starting with MTDAW and moving way up to Auria when it came out (used it for a year or 2?) then trying Cubasis, I dumped all of those and now use N-Track Studio. It was very shaky and short of features back in the day, but now is a very smooth and decently featured DAW. The reason I switched from Auria is I can do similar things using way less space on my IPad. No big name plug ins (shame), but MIDI works well. At least for how I make music on my IPad. I miss Auria's bigger buttons, but I've gotten used to NTS and now I'm more productive. Slightly..

• Auria's great; I love the plugins, and it feels like an old school DAW (in a good way). I use it for Audio and Audiobus and love it. For me, multitasks would also come before MIDI support, though I want both.

• I'm learning about some DAWs. Thanks for the replies.

Any word from the developer about adding MIDI to Auria?

• @mkell424 said:

Any word from the developer about adding MIDI to Auria?

It's planned for the next major release (v2.0), however it was originally scheduled for last spring but it's slipped back, so probably not for this year but hopefully early next year.

• edited September 2014

They are trying to coodinate the release of Auria V2 with Midi for the same day that BM3 comes out to ensure a TOTAL FUCKING FORUM MELTDOWN and so on.

I may take the day off from work.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

They are trying to coodinate the release of Auria V2 with Midi for the same day that BM3 comes out to ensure a TOTAL FUCKING FORUM MELTDOWN and so on.

I might just take the week. :)

By the way... Who are 'they'? (And do you have clue on the release date?)

• Nanostudio anyone? Still quite handy, and sounds great-! ...(But yea, "all of 'em")

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Ohhh myyyy Goooddddd. Haha. Yeah, seriously. That would be like the iMPC Pro release times 8, and that's not an exaggeration.

I'm not huge into MIDI yet, but I'm learning. I got Auria on sale, and if my iPad2 were a bit faster, it would definitely be my favorite. As it is right now, I've done the most actual "work" on MT DAW, and recently got MultiTrackStudio almost strictly for the MIDI functionality. It's pretty darn cool.

All of them have one feature or attribute that feels "missing" from another one, but I think they are all pretty good tools.

• MultiTrackStudio for 30 bucks. Is it worth it?

• As has been said before which DAW/DAWs you fall in love with depend on what type of music you're writing, familiarity and workflow. BeatMaker2 works for me.

• edited September 2014

@mkell424 said:

MultiTrackStudio for 30 bucks. Is it worth it?

There's been lots about it written here recently, so just try a search. I keep hitting the 16-track limit in the $30 package though, so I'll be springing for the $20 expansion soon. It'll also be nice for me to have the convolution reverb in that expansion.

• I've pretty much switched fully to Auria and using some MIDI Sequencers (Genome and StepPolyArp mostly, some MIDISequencer), going from Beatmaker 2. A total resource hog but the plug-ins are too inviting to stay away.

Hoping the full MIDI implementation comes soon, along with more ram in the new iPad!

• If you are trying to do serious mixing on iPad, I guess Auria is the only option. Because only Auria includes professional EQ and Comp (there are Fabfilter IAP). I'm stuck with Auria anyway since I bought Pro-Q and Timeless (delay). But I don't like Auria actually. The GUI is so old school and sluggish (and it is not even retina yet). The memory consuming is much higher than MTD. They give you 8 subtracks but only two send tracks (they are not even tracks).
    But I guess it is like DAWs on computers, you have no chance to find a perfect one.

• I have an iPad 2, and I do almost nothing with midi, so I run my guitar/AudioBus/guitar app chain to MultiTrack DAW for tracking guitars because it is so stable. Eventually, everything winds up in Auria for tracking vocals and mixing.

• edited September 2014

I spend my time on BM2 and MultiTrackStudio for iPad. I have all the other ones, Auria, Cubasis, MusicStudio etc.

I use those two because they get me the furthest into getting stuff done. It's a personal thing! The way they look and the things they do and how they do em-
    GUI, "workflow", features.
    I do both midi sequencing and live tracking (in device) via IAA and AB. I want mpc style beats as well as midi and wav editing,
    My favorite 2 each have their strengths. As was said above the search forum approach is powerful if you really want to research features and opinions thereon

Too bad there is no such thing as trial copies for these, except MusicStudio.

• Agreed on trial copies. With three of the contenders over $30, a trial would be nice. MultitrackStudio has a desktop demo download available. NanoStudio and Caustic have free desktop versions.

• All roads lead back to Auria for me. I own most of them though, and I have different preferences for my starting point depending on what I'm trying to do, but whatever I record, it always lands back in Auria. Plugins are ace and the interface is now the one I'm most familiar with. I catch myself looking for Auria buttons in other apps. It used to be like that with BM2 for me, but as I've moved away from that and into Auria my brain has found new ways to short circuit.

• edited September 2014

@syrupcore
    That's a smart play - you'd find out a lot about what you might like, trying out those three on your desktop. (Nanostudio and Caustic are really amazing pieces of software, I'm glad to see a mention here. I ended up buying the Pro Plus version of MultitrackStudio for my laptop after doing my "trial" on iPad. Interestingly enough the PC/Mac version, though more powerful
    and openended than iPad version, lacks some great things that the iPad version has...)

I totally get the enthusiasm for Auria, it's why I upgraded from an iPad (1) to the 4. The missing piece is "vst hosting" in terms of midi sequencing... So it waits and I make stuff elsewhere. So far.