Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Line 6 Sonic port Vs irig hd vs apogee jam?

edited September 2014 in General App Discussion

Can anyone comment, especially on drawbacks of any of these it would be fab. Need it for the guitar going into iPhone 4s. Would be good to hear about the battery drain too. Cheers

Comments

• I've heard claims that the Apogee has better sound quality, but I haven't heard it with my own ears and personally I think that the differences between digital interfaces and A/D converters is usually minimal. Nonetheless some people say the Apogee is warmer sounding than the others.

I went for the Line 6, partly because it allows you to use their amp simulation app. No regrets, the app is worth having (especially for the vast range of presets), for practicing with if not for recording. I also have a Scarlett 2i4 and for the guitar interface I haven't noticed any real difference between that and the Sonic Port.

• I have the Sonic Port. I think it sounds pretty good. And the amp sim was nice to have. But the special cable Line Six have created for it has a rather fragile bespoke connector. It will break if you use it a lot (mine did) and then it was a world of pain getting a replacement from Line Six. Unless you can leave the cable plugged in all the time, I would get a different interface for that reason alone.

• I've been using the Apogee Jam for years. Never had an issue with it or the included cables. I don't notice a significant increase in battery drain.

• I was kind of set on getting the sonic port but you have stopped me in my tracks @bennorland. Is the flimsy bit you're talking about on the proprietary side or the apple connector. I guess it wouldn't be hard to gaffer tape it to the line 6 but I would definitely need to unplug the iphone to do the charging etc. it wouldn't be all that often as I'm not using it as a phone at all but at least once every other day would be required. I really like the idea of it having its own 1/4 jack output and that's probably the reason I'd go for it over the apogee or irig HD.

• The delicate bit is the piece that plugs into the Sonic Port itself (on the Line 6 side as it were). You're only going to need to fiddle with it if you need to swap cables in order to move from using a lightening connector to the old iOS connector. If your iOS devices only rely on one kind of connector then you can leave the cable and Sonic Port fitted together permenantly and you'll be fine. My problems arose because at the time I had a newer iPhone and an older iPad.

• Ah cool. I'll be using it solely with iPhone 4s so will probably tape it in. Thanks for the tip.

• You may not need to tape it in. If you're not going to be faffing about with it.

• Just got it second hand 45 uk pounds. I'll see how secure the connection is and take it from there. I think I'll end up using it mostly with an epad and impaktor. The guitar is still quite usable with the original irig.

• edited September 2014

sorry to complicate things but now there is this! :

http://www.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/

and it charges your iDevice

• Not at all @Hmtx I've seen it but the mics are superfluous to me personally. The sonic port original totally fits my bill 'jack of all trades master of none' remember? ;)

• This is what I ended up with :-)

• That Sonic port VX look interesting. Apparently, it charges the iPad. I don't get that really as it says 'Charges with optionally USB cable? " Why would they make a $200 divide with optional cables, charging no less. Mind boggles.

• I think the VX has a standard USB input for adding a power source, which would be necessary for charging the iDevice.

and nice setup supadom, hope we get to see it in your next youtube jam!

• Yes, the SP VX comes with a lightning cable AND a USB cable, and both can be used at the same time, so you can charge your iDevice through the USB cable connected to it's charging brick while the SP VX is connected to your iDevice for music.
    You can use the USB cable alone to connect the SPVX to your Mac or PC too.
    The thing would be perfect if it wasn't for the absence of a physical level control in it. I am really bothered about mine because of this, for I havent managed yet to make a satisfying recording with the low levels I'm getting from it. But it's been less than a week since I got it.
    In fact, I found this thread while looking for a solution on Google. If anybody has some suggestion, it'll be very appreciated.
    Thanks