Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Better mastering app: Audio Mastering or Final Touch?

edited September 2014 in General App Discussion

Now I know both have there pros and cons but which one do you prefer and why?

Comments

• I'll give the "mastering noob" perspective - Audio Mastering is relatively light on the CPU and using the presets gets you instant improvement in the clarity and balance of tracks and notes.

I have no doubt Final Touch is also an excellent product, as Positive Grid has done great things with their guitar apps.

• I have all two but I prefer Auria with Fabfilter Plugins...

• edited September 2014

If I'm not wrong, with AM you can work with part of the track (loop), and you can fade in/out.

Said that, I have FT because, as a neewbie, I felt lost in AM environment. But in my wish list when I learn a bit more.

Ah, with FT, you have sound close to null through iPad speaker, so you have to work with headphones output (or connecting any dedicated device)

• @Sinapsya said:

I have all two but I prefer Auria with Fabfilter Plugins...

Ditto.

But, Final Touch and Audio Mastering are both really great apps that can provide pro-level results too. Here's the comparision I did a few months ago, maybe that will help some:

http://innerportalstudio.com/ios-mastering-apps-comparison/

• @Tarekith thanks, I enjoyed reading that allover again.

• Some additional comments about AM can be found here: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/79145#Comment_79145

• I have both but use AM the most. They are both very good, I got AM first and suspect its the only reason it's my preference

• I think FT is easier to understand and has a lot more presets. Great when you are not an audio engineer ;-)

If AM got a ton of good presets added, I might use that more, as FT is not as stable and still has some bugs. I saw that a huge update is due for FT so hopefully that will help with the bugs.

But my suggestion to the makers of AM is to add a large selection of useful presets, that would make the product much more useful for mastering noobs like myself :-)

In terms of sound quality, from what I've read, they are both excellent.

• AudioMastering! It also seems to get a lot useful updates and the developer is a really nice and helpful guy :)

• edited September 2014

Thanks everyone for your input and your perspective, but let me address a few post.

@Sinapsya said:

I would prefer that too but i don't have that kind of money or know how lol

@Tarekith said:

@Sinapsya said:

Ditto.

But, Final Touch and Audio Mastering are both really great apps that can provide pro-level results too. Here's the comparision I did a few months ago, maybe that will help some:

http://innerportalstudio.com/ios-mastering-apps-comparison/

Thanks for sharing this in the thread. I ended up finding it when I was searching up the apps on goole and I want to say thank you for sharing your perspective.

Would you say FT is better for Noobs? Like fjcblanco or are they both about the same.

@Peter321 said:

I think FT is easier to understand and has a lot more presets. Great when you are not an audio engineer ;-)

If AM got a ton of good presets added, I might use that more, as FT is not as stable and still has some bugs. I saw that a huge update is due for FT so hopefully that will help with the bugs.

But my suggestion to the makers of AM is to add a large selection of useful presets, that would make the product much more useful for mastering noobs like myself :-)

In terms of sound quality, from what I've read, they are both excellent.

After reading this post I guess I'm more on the FT side with my decision but still trying to figure it all out.

Again thanks everyone for your help.

• Was jus trying to master a tune yesterday, I'm a noob too. I have both & used both yesterday but I ended up going into Auria too which jus ended up better, I didn't know too much about what I was doing in any of them! :)
    @MarkySo in AM there 2 ways of mastering, the pro more deeper way or the basic way.
    The basic way is when the tools like EQ, harmonic saturator, Stereo imaging and maximiser are all on the same page (that's how the app was when it came out). That way is a nice & easy way to work with that app, even I understand it & find that way easier than FT for me
    The more pro way is tools are on multiple pages & somethings for me is a head doer as I don't know what's going on.
    If you get AM then it is defaulted to the pro way, you go to setting, Application & add a X to Basic control settings & ur good to go!
    Both apps are quality, with AM once u get to learn the basic way, you can go deeper & use the pro way.
    Hope that adds to your thoughts :)

• I use both, and go back and forth. Sometime FT wins, sometimes AM.

• @higs said:

Was jus trying to master a tune yesterday, I'm a noob too. I have both & used both yesterday but I ended up going into Auria too which jus ended up better, I didn't know too much about what I was doing in any of them! :)
    @MarkySo in AM there 2 ways of mastering, the pro more deeper way or the basic way.
    The basic way is when the tools like EQ, harmonic saturator, Stereo imaging and maximiser are all on the same page (that's how the app was when it came out). That way is a nice & easy way to work with that app, even I understand it & find that way easier than FT for me
    The more pro way is tools are on multiple pages & somethings for me is a head doer as I don't know what's going on.
    If you get AM then it is defaulted to the pro way, you go to setting, Application & add a X to Basic control settings & ur good to go!
    Both apps are quality, with AM once u get to learn the basic way, you can go deeper & use the pro way.
    Hope that adds to your thoughts :)

Thanks for your input. I didn't know that and now it's even tougher to decide lol.

• I would say FT is probably the easier one to use, but only barely.

• @Tarekith you also say FT has the better multi-band compressor? In what situations is one most likley to use a multi band compressor. Is it if they want to have many dynamics in there song or something?

Also you said AM has better EQ. That has me leaning on the AM side of things cause I use BM2 mostly and need a good EQ cause the EQ in BM2 leaves more to be desired in a mix sometimes. It's decent but I feel a good EQ could help my production.

• @MarkySo lol, true say these 2 apps have confused many a noob!
    I got AM when it came out well earlier than FT so I got used to it a bit but then FT came out & it had instrument etc presets in it so that's why I got it. AM as 9 presets like pop rap etc only, you can make your own too
    If I was you I'd do what Tarekith says as he's the man with the knowledge :)
    Hope you don't mind me saying that Tarekith :)
    Good luck!

• Final touch for quick easy interface but I sometimes get better master spending a bit more time in Audio mastering. The stereo spread Per eq band I find better in AM also

• Honestly I rarely if ever use MB compression when mastering, especially if it's your own material. Just fix whatever issue you're having in the mixdown, you have more flexibility there anyway. This might help explain how I approach it:

http://innerportalstudio.com/articles/Mastering.pdf

I'm actually wrapping up a mix and master on one of my tracks tonight (Ableton, not iPad, sorry), and all I have on the master is a limiter. For my own music, I don't really see the need to make a seperate "mastering" step. I make it sound the way I want in the mixdown, and then raise the volume a bit with a limiter, simple.

For this type of mastering, either app will honestly be fine. Best advice I can give is just go with your gut when deciding, worse comes to worse you save for a couple weeks and get the other if you want later. :)

• I have both apps and I find AM give me a better sound especially since the recent update.

• Ok just played about with FT on the back of this thread. Sounds good, lost my presets when saving and also crashed the app losing my audio when using undo function.

• @Jose_Bee said:

Ok just played about with FT on the back of this thread. Sounds good, lost my presets when saving and also crashed the app losing my audio when using undo function.

What iPad? I'll try it when back at home.

• ipad mini R. I think the error saving was user error on my part, but the saving isnt very intuitive. Try undoing 7-8 times.

• edited September 2014

Thanks for your advice everyone but I have decided to go with AM in light of Jose saying he has problems with FT and Peter saying FT has bugs and also it not being as stable as AM. Thank you everyone who commented in the thread because you all really helped me with this decision.

• Any further thoughts now that these are on sale? I think I'll pick up one.

• I don't think I ever had problems with final touch. It has many presets by utility, instrument... I don't own AudioMastering but I don't think it has those starting points. I knew nothing avout mastering when I bought the app so they came in handy. John Walden has a review of FT over at MusicApp Blog.
    Anyway I'm well served for now. If I ever buy anything like this it will be one or a few of Auria Plug ins like Pro-Q