Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IconnectMidi4+ Audio Dropouts

Hi Community,

Is anyone using ICM4+ experiencing audio dropouts from apps on an IPad, when trigged VIA midi from a DAW (example Ableton live)

I have upgraded the ICM4+ device to the latest Firmware version, tried several different Latency settings on Asio4all driver. Still no change. I get audio drop outs every 50 seconds (approximately)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Are you using a Mac or a PC ?

What do you think the fault is ? With the ICM4+ or Asio4all ?

• Try going into iConfig and changing the clock source to be whatever jack/port as your DAW. By default it is set to use the clock of your iConnect device.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • guys, I have tried this. I have gone into IConfig and changed the clock source.

I Will however try it again.

• Some also get results doing the opposite by telling Ableton to use the iConnect.

• I am a little confused. Where in Ableton do I change the clock Source ?

thanks

• edited September 2014

On a Mac, Look at Audio Devices and click on your aggregate device. There's a drop down box "Clock Source". Change from "Built-in output" to the iConnect.

On a PC, your best bet is to monkey with ASIO4ALL setup. Within Ableton, Preferences, Audio. Click on hardware configuration button to get ASIO4ALL config, click on the advance/wrench button and try checking Hardware Buffer box. You've probably done that already it looks like.

There's also the questions of which iPad you're running on and the performance of your PC. You might also download Reaper and try to recreate the issue with it which could point to ASIO4ALL settings or Ableton if it doesn't happen.

I'm not bragging here but I've had no issues with audio pass-thru and MIDI between iPad Air and a laptop PC. That's with the iConnect audio set to 48000Hz, 4 channel, 24 bit and Internal Clock and other MIDI instruments chatting away on the other jacks as well as a Zoom R24 interface coming in on a separate USB connection. All ASIO4All.

• edited September 2014

There are a few ways to control latency and drop outs, depending on the setup.

Latency

1) Change the Audio Playback buffer in your DAW's (Preferences > Audio)

2) Change the latency setting in the iOS app preferences. Sometimes this is just a low/hi setting.

3) Change the iConnectivity hardware buffering options using the 'Audio Info' panel in iConfig.

-Number of audio frames to buffer- refers to how many USB frames of audio that iCM2 will buffer between the two USB ports. Each frame is 1 millisecond of data. Lower values yield lower latency but at the risk of distorted sound (lost data). Higher values yield higher latency but less likelihood of distorted sound due to lost data. User should select the lowest value that works best for their system.

-Sync factor- is used to calculate the frame rate for synchronization between the two USB ports. Lower values yield higher jitter, high values yield lower jitter. User should select the value that works best for their system.

Most of the time, when hearing latency when using a MIDI device, you are dealing with the delay that happens with D/A audio conversion.

Sample Drop Outs or Bit Distortion

-If you notice the audio changing in pitch or distorting/popping, there is a good chance you may be dealing with an audio clocking issue. By default your iConnectMIDI4+ will be set as the master clock source. If your DAW and primary audio card are the master source for your sample rate and bit rate, you will want to launch iConfig with your hardware connected and change (Audio Info > Clock Source) to the 'device port' your DAW computer is connected to. Then the iConnectMIDI4+ will slave to this source.

If you need any further troubleshooting assistance, please create a support ticket here: www.iconnectivity.com/support

Thanks!

• Hi Josh,

i have really tried everything, following your guidelines above,
    1. Configured Iconfig Audio details.
    2. PLayed around with Asio4all buffer and all other settings.
    3. tried various apps on the Ipad.

Still have the follwing issues.
    1. Audio drop outs
    2. Latency when recordng audio from an App onto Ableton live using the ICM4+ (the latency is large and very noticeable.)
    3. Cracklink/ Digital Distortion as well when buffer is decreased. however even when the buffer sinze is increased, at first there is no distortion but it still starts up at a later stage while using the device.

• edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014

Hey @amarmash - If you are pairing an audio interface with your iConnectMIDI4+ you will want to make sure that the audio clock source is set to the 'Device Port' that your computer uses - by default your iConnectivity hardware will be set as the Master Audio Source. You will also need to select the "resample" option for the iConnectMIDI4+ in ASIO4ALL/Aggregate Device panel.

If you need further troubleshooting assistance, please create a ticket with our support team here: www.iConnectivity.com/support

Let them know what you have tried and they will pick up from there.

We appreciate your patience.

Cheers!

• I have distortion/clock problems too. Also lil drop outs. Tried everything suggested in the FAQ and in this thread. One question that I haven't found the answer to it:

How the hell do you know which "Audio Port" to choose as your clock source in iConfig? Which one represents my audio device? There are 3, all just plainly named Audio Port 1,2 and 3.

Not that it seems to matter which one I pick as anywhere between 2 and 15 mins, the distortion will kick in. What if I wanted to use this device live?

• Also why am I having to ask this on an audiobus forum, where is the iConnect forum?

• Ask on Facebook....

• Got some suggestions from a mister RJ via their support (which was reasonably quick I should add). The "Audio Ports" are kinda misleading with their names. They should probably be called "USB Ports" because they represent the 3 USB ports on the ICM4+. So if your computer is connected to USB 3 and your audio card is connected to your computer, then you select Audio Port 3 as your clock source. Problem is I'd already tired all 3 and none solved my distortion, clicking, dropouts and general woes.

RJ also suggested changing the USB cable to my computer, disabling all ports I wasn't currently using, or try using the ICM4 as the clock source. I tried the first 2, no difference. And can't set my audiofire8 to use the ICM4+ as the clock source.

Anyone solve their issues?

• edited November 2014

If anyones needs iConnectivity troubleshooting assistance, please create a ticket here:
    www.iconnectivity.com/support

That would be your best option if you have tried what I have suggested above concerning latency and audio clocking.

At the moment, we do not have an open forum format for users. Although. it is something we are looking into implementing in the future.