Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music Studio updated

Now supports concurrent input and output Audiobus slots.

Comments

• Can anyone tell me how MS compares to Cubasis,Beatmaker,etc. It looks quite comprehensive now that it has Audiobus . It does seem to be missing a mixer screen and individual FX sends.Is it stable using AB and is the midi implementation complete? It looks really nice. Thanks for any advice in advance.

• edited July 2014

I guess this is now true again.

MS is something of a first girlfriend to me (as it were). First IOS DAW I bought when I got an iPad way back when and perhaps as a result I think of it fondly but am sure I have moved on far further by now etc....having said all that and 'upon further review' it does have a lot going for it. Just something fusty about the UI....or again, maybe that's just me.

Anyone got any thoughts about killer aspects of this app I might be under-rating or does it do most of what others do, but none of them quite as well?

• Excellent sounds and great composition tool. Quite feature-packed and developed alongside FL Studio HD which is like a dance version of this. Shared FX was the big stumbling block but that's been addressed in this update so it will definitely tick a few boxes for some...

• edited July 2014

Updated right now!

What's New in Version 2.5

• New effect routing: 5 track, 5 send and 6 global effects

• 4 new effects: Compressor, BitCrusher, Phaser, StereoWidener

• Polyphony during export increased to 256

• MIDI CC2 input is mapped to track volume

• Audiobus SDK 2.0 compatibility

• Bug fixes and performance improvements

• @Jomazz said:

Can anyone tell me how MS compares to Cubasis,Beatmaker,etc. It looks quite comprehensive now that it has Audiobus . It does seem to be missing a mixer screen and individual FX sends.Is it stable using AB and is the midi implementation complete? It looks really nice. Thanks for any advice in advance.

The free version was also updated if you wanted to try it out. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/music-studio-lite/id378356692?mt=8

• I realize that there are other things involved, but it's uncool to me that the free version does not have Audiobus like the paid version has.

• Yeah, I've never been quite clear on the AB rules re: purchase with regards to apps that have both free and paid versions. I think AB rules just states that AB support can not be an IAP.

I get their reasoning but I don't mind paying for AB support as I'd consider it a bonus/extra feature for most apps.

• @syrupcore: One of my favorite things about Audiobus is the philosophy: give out the SDK to developers for free, apps don't charge us to add the feature to their app, and it's all about getting apps to play together in harmony. Completely cool. Music Studio free and paid existed before Audiobus; It's wrong to add it to one app and not the other.

• The free app is a demo. If it had AB, you'd be using it as a sound bank and have no incentive to buy the paid version other than your conscience. In what way do you wish to make use of AB in a free demo that doesn't circumvent paying for what you gain from Music Studio?

• @PaulB I totally agree with you.

• Don't get me wrong, I like a usable freebie as much as the next guy, but it has to be at the dev's discretion. Saying it's wrong for him to decide otherwise is a bit much.

• @PaulB I would never wish to disrespect your opinions, you're one of the most awesome guys on the bus. I guess I had just gotten accustomed to free and paid versions including AB in both versions: Soundprism, Sampletank, IGrand, etc. I like Music Studio, but I wonder if they would sell as many paid versions if Audiobus was in both? If the answer is no,....

• I hadn't thought about this until recently, but I guess I come down on the side of the consumer here in respecting the spirit of why we have AudioBus in the first place. Music Studio has zero obligation to provide a free demo of their $15 app. But since it's in their business interest to do so and expose people to what it has to offer, I'm not sure what value the demo has if you can't see how it works with AudioBus.

In an instrument app, this is easy - offer a single sound instead of a full library, and make that the free version. In a DAW, I've seen things where you can only record maybe one or two tracks, or only a few seconds of recording. I'm not interested in this particular app anyway, but if I were, I don't think the demo has much value unless I can see how it behaves within the delivery system I'd use to get content into it.

Do I think what they are doing is "wrong" though...probably not. It's not like they offer a paid "lite" version and then an upgraded version with AB. The demo isn't meant to be a function product at all - just a truncated example of why you should buy the full version.

• Disagreeing with an opinion is no disrespect. It's cool...

• Nobody's commenting how great the update is so I presume it's something missable.

• It's great, hoping doug might do a video,always stable,AB , now multi routing effects,with IAA still to come , puts some other DAW's to shame

• edited August 2014

Has anyone got IAA with this app now it has the new AudioBus support.

On the other hand it's a nice update, don't use the App much since I am not a lover of the editor
    functions and also a mixer view is a must.

• Definitely a worthwhile update, the fx routing was a major drawback previously, so they have fixed that. It has some very nice sounds available too. I'm just not sure it has that "Wow" factor to make it stand out against the competition.

• Something weird happened with my update. It seemed to install itself as a new app (I have the full app not the free one installed and was updating the full version) leaving a "Ghost" icon in the original position that wouldn't delete or activate. When I opened the new Music Studio icon the Grand Piano sound had a string pad layer under it, slightly out of tune yet no other synth was open and only Grand Piano was selected. Rebooting my iPad solved the issue but it was rather weird!

• That happened to me with other apps (very few times). I don't have explanation.