Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best midi keyboard with 49 keys

Hi.

Because I never introduced myself in the forum and I see some people doing it I'm just going to tell you a bit about what I do.

I just started playing around with the ipad a few months ago. My background on music was notation and all the ground base music theory. (A bit of piano and guitar)

I'm an actor, went to a circus school and my goal is mainly to (besides having fun) build soundtracks for an independent film of mine and maybe a few performances/live shows.

I bought a Launchkey Mini because it had so many functions and I knew I could, besides making it work with the launchpad app, try a bit of everything (knobs, pads, keys).

But now I find the knobs too small, the pads have this horrible velocity and 25 piano keys are not enough for me. Also it's not 'editable'.

Because I don't want to have to buy a keyboard again I think I should get the 49er right away. (And then maybe akai lpd8, korg nano kontrol, so spread the functionality.)

All I'm interested in is the mod wheel and pitch bend.

Thank You in advance. You're a very funny and cohesive group.

PS. I bought isem. I don't know 'jack about synths but thank you to everyone who recommended this because It's simply amazing what can come out of an Ipad.

Comments

• @Macao95 welcome to the bus. Yes it's true, we're all hilarious and we're cohesive because we all secretly meet once a week at Doug's house to work on our material. The reason I'm responding is I was once looking for a simple MIDI keyboard like you are. This forum gave me a good list a keyboards from several different makers. I went to my local Guitar Center and banged around on 5 or 6 different models before I chose the Carbon 49 by Samson. 49 keys was a good size for my desk and the Carbon had a good feel to the keys that I liked (not too light or non-responsive). It has a Mod and Pitch wheel, a Volume slider, and nice Octave and Transpose buttons. Also a Data knob to program which keys could affect things on apps, which I don't use cause I'm simple. It was $99 when I bought it and I'm very satisfied , I does what I want it to do. I hope this helps a little. Test some out if you can get a chance, we all like different stuff for different reasons.....

• Your time in circus school should really pay off in this forum.

• In terms of build quality and feel, I really think the Akai MPK range is pretty good. Not too many really nice 49key controllers unfortunately, they still tend to target the cheaper end of the spectrum.

• Another vote for the Samson Carbon 49 here! I love mine and it does just exactly what you mentioned. You can also program the data knob to any knob on your apps with midi learn as well.

• NoiseHorse, I am glad you are satisfied with the Carbon 49. I found the keys to be a little too springy. The down action is good, but it springs up instantly too fast. Also, I found that the black keys need a different pressure than the white keys. It is difficult to make smooth runs using a mixture of white and black keys. I guess I am used to the beautiful semi-weighted action of my Yamaha MOX6.

I recently purchased the CME Xkey (25-key) and I am fairly happy with the light action. However, when I first got it, I was getting my fingernails caught in the spaces between the keys. I got used to it however. Also, the keys make a clicky sound when pressing... pretty noisy. CME is making a 49-key version of the Xkey, I think.

I would like to hear any feedback if anyone else has purchased the Novation LaunchKey, and what they think of the keyboard action and build. Especially if they have had experience with other keyboard controllers.

• I would really like a relatively inexpensive 49 key MIDI keyboard with some assignable knobs. Any ideas?

• I'm pretty happy with the Samson Graphite 49. Some details are frustrating but I reckon they all have a few frustrating details and it's overall pretty great—especially for the money.

• edited August 2014

@syrupcore said:

I'm pretty happy with the Samson Graphite 49. Some details are frustrating but I reckon they all have a few frustrating details and it's overall pretty great—especially for the money.

I could not believe the price myself and could not believe how well it played considering that.
    Did I mention that no external power supply is needed?

• I picked up an axiom 49 gen 2 on craigslist for $100. I like the semi weighted keys, the pads feel nice. Works well with the ipad and can be bus powered if you plug it in right.

• This is still on sale - great value for the price. Picked one some days ago for my son who is a jazz pianist to practice with with his iPad when unable to get to a piano.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Mobile-Keys-49-Premium-Keyboard-Controller-for-Mobile-Devices-107752560-i2409842.gc

• edited August 2014

I've been scooping that Axiom Air 49(2) also. How's it treating you on the ipad @gmslayton?

• @TGiG mine is not the air but i love it. Easy to program. Pads work great. I was testing last night using pads to send cc messages using the pads velocity and it seems to be working.

I bought a nanopad2 thinking I might be able to do that with the pads but epic fail. I am going to send it back.

I am going to try and set 2 pads on my axiom to control parameters like an xy touch pad.

• Nice!
    Thanks for the info

• @Tarekith said:

In terms of build quality and feel, I really think the Akai MPK range is pretty good. Not too many really nice 49key controllers unfortunately, they still tend to target the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Not the current versions, the older versions where the pads can be replaced are the way to go with the MPK series

• First of all thank you for all the responses. It's nice to have this feedback in this short amount of time. Thank you @NoiseHorse for the 'easy' overview. That's about what I'm willing to spend.

@funjunkie27

What do you mean?

@Tarekith

Over my budget.

• Just that the forum can be a bit of a circus at times...in a good way usually.

• I'm not ruining it then, am I? :P

• edited August 2014

Never mind. Just saw that AKAI's MPK line was already mentioned

• My Samson Carbon 49 has better action than my son's Line 6 mobile keys 49. Can't really complain about either one, though. They both get the job done, and have a pitch and mod wheel.

• @Macao95 - not at all....you're in the right place.

• That's what I've been discovering. A few people saying that. And 'avoid Line 6'.

Thank you for the re-assurance.

• You're welcome Dude. Hope you get one you love.

• A bit older this thread but it's exact what i want to buy next, a 49 key masterkeyboard. I'm really interested in the Samson Graphite 49 since the price seems unbelievable low for a keyboard with aftertouch (i think channel aftertouch only?).
    @syrupcore: I saw you are using it. Would you still recommand it. It even comes with Komplete Elements for this price. Where is the hook? (Not sure if this german slang translates here)

• I also still use mine, still recommended. No catch (hook?). Except cannot rename patches from the LCD. My research showed it to be the most flexible to configure and most useable display via which to configure and see state. Aftertouch - haven't played with response yet, out of the box it is rather digital.

• I also looked hard at the graphite prior to purchasing the Carbon, I kind of wish I had gone with the graphite now and I may in time order one just the same. powered from ipad correct?

• @dwarman: Thank you. Sounds good.

@Tritonman2: The description says it can be powered with iPad (via CCK). Indeed, would be interesting how about the smaller battery in the Air 2. Also the Air has a smaller battery then the iPad 4, or? So not sure if they have enough juice for it. I want to use it mainly with my Mac but of course it should be usable with my iPad Air too?

• I have been playing for a couple hours on my iPad Air 2 using the Carbon 49 with no problems. It used up about approximately 15% of the battery.

• @bsantoro: O.k. good to know. I think i order one next week. I love touchscreen controls and trackpad etc. but real buttons, keys and sliders are feeling just better when recording live.
    I have a Akai Synthstation 25 but i need more octaves and controls.

• Yes I agree that the Carbon has very little drain on battery.