Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recent 'interference hum/buzz' on Guitar apps, even through a digital interface. Help, please!

Hello all,

In the past few days, I've started experiencing a slight hum or buzz when plugging a guitar into my iPad Air, even through a digital interface like the iRig HD - which is usually completely silent when not playing notes. I've tried multiple instrument cables and guitars and the same thing happens, so I've ruled out a bad connection as the cause. The problem must be with the iPad.

I think that charging my iPad up from my Focusrite iTrack Dock has caused some kind of residual electrical charge issue with the iPad which is causing the buzz, as the power adapter plugged into the Dock also exhibits a buzz that I can hear when I plug headphones into the Dock, even when the iPad is not in use. I didn't have this issue with the iPad until I bought the Dock, and then not until after 3 days of using it!

This buzz is most noticeable in Tonestack with the guitar left idle. When I am not playing any notes, the buzz is very audible through headphones. In Bias, the input level registers even when the guitar is completely left alone, which did NOT happen before this hum/buzz started. When I put my finger on a fret, though, the buzz goes away. This is while using iRig HD or the iTrack Dock, with any combination of two instrument cables and two guitars - again, the only constant here is the iPad itself.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? I'm trying to drain my iPad's battery to zero and leave it for a few hours in the hope that the issue will resolve itself on its own, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and if so, how they sorted it out.

Comments

• Could be environmental interference e.g. a fluorescent lamp, dimmer, or a dodgy mains adapter somewhere in the vicinity. Does the buzz change if you move to a different room?

It's pretty unlikely that charging via the iTrack Dock would have any effect on your iPad battery. The buzzing with the iTrack power supply connected is probably just faint AC interference. When running from the iPad battery, everything is clean DC and there should be no source of interference.

• I'll try moving to another room. Could it be caused by the recent heatwave in the UK somehow? It's really bloody humid here right now.

• I dont thinking it's the heatwave. More likely your neighbour got himself a new electrical appliance or maybe it is you new air con machine?

• Or you have a grounding problem. Try taking your setup to another location.

• But how can it be a grounding problem if it's happening when the iPad isn't plugged into anything?

• You're right...I was thinking the audio out was going to a monitor, but I see he mentioned headphones. Still, taking his setup elsewhere might eliminate, or prove, it being an interference issue.

• One issue I found with this unit was when the brightness was turned down. The interference I was getting would disappear when up at 100%

• Replace your guitar cable. Check, or have a tech check, your guitar's ground especially at the jack. Can the buzz be killed with a noise gate?

• Hi I have had the exact same issues, got a replacement unit, but the issue still there, changed guitar cables, checked my gtr preamp, even tried on two different iPads.

Unfortunately I'm going to get a refund as I can't think of any other solutions,
    Any one tried a different PSU.

• I've emailed focusrite, waiting for a response.

• edited February 2015

FWIW I have a Focusrite 2i4 that has a very noticeable ground hum when plugged into a powered USB hub. The only way I can get rid of it is to power the hub with a battery rather than the mains. That might not be an option with the dock though.

The ground hum is really loud when either a condenser mic or an electric guitar are connected to the interface.