Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a good drum app for Metal drum tracks?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Different Drummer, but am still unsure if it can do metal, in particular I'm wondering if the kick drum can sound huge enough. Is this app, or any others good for metal?

Comments

• Can't comment on Different Drummer as I don't own it, but the most versatile workflow is to use Auria with Drumagog, because if you record your drums onto separate tracks you can then replace them at mix time with something that fits the song better.

Personally I use Drumperfect, because it adds a little human variation, or alternatively Impaktor if I want to do the "drumming" myself, and then replace the sounds I'm not happy with in Drumagog - this works really well with Impaktor sounds since I can replace them with something better.

• I don't really do metal, but you might want to have a look at Drums XD - it has a huge library of great drum sounds. It doesn't have any kind of internal sequencer though, you have to drive it with something (or play it from the touchscreen).

• I haven't really tried to get a metal sound from Different Drummer, but since it allows infinite control over rhythm, I'm sure it's possible. The included samples are a mixed bag, but it serves as a great midi controller and allows you to import your own samples.

I like Drum Perfect too, and it would probably be a better solution if you want more traditional rhythms (not a jab there....it offers a great solution), but DD will give you rhythms that you probably wouldn't come up with any other iOS app. Still, getting the more traditional, or predictable rhythms, is where the learning curve kicks in with DD.

I also like Drums XD, and have used DD as a controller with it on a few occasions.

• Uh-oh. There goes another $7.99.... :) Well, better long term repercussions (sic) than a coffee and donut out in town I guess...

• @richardyot said:

Can't comment on Different Drummer as I don't own it, but the most versatile workflow is to use Auria with Drumagog, because if you record your drums onto separate tracks you can then replace them at mix time with something that fits the song better.

Personally I use Drumperfect, because it adds a little human variation, or alternatively Impaktor if I want to do the "drumming" myself, and then replace the sounds I'm not happy with in Drumagog - this works really well with Impaktor sounds since I can replace them with something better.

Cool, I already have Auria, can I only replace existing drum tracks with Drmagog, or can I use Drumagog alone for all the drum tracks?

• Try GoldDrums.sf2 soundfont available at www.hammersound.net (loaded into BS-16i)

• Does Drums XD allow you to sequence drums, as apposed to manually playing them? My drumming skills are lacking when it comes to doing fast double bass drumming. Drumagog + Drumperfect is gonna be a little more expensive than I'd like, but I'll bite the bullet if I have to.

• No...you have to play manually or use a sequencer app.

• With the effects processing available in Auria, you can probably make any drums sound huge!

• @Coloobar said:

Try GoldDrums.sf2 soundfont available at www.hammersound.net (loaded into BS-16i)

I will have to check that out too! I need to remember that even though playing drums on a keyboard feels kind of lame, it should be totally possible to use a MIDI controller/sequencer like Xynthesizer (which even has velocity control!) to automate bs-16i percussion SoundFonts.

I just got Auria, but while Drumagog's samples sound really good (and it would be nice to have that built into an app), I really struggle with having to split 4-10 different kit instruments into separate audio tracks in Auria. Yes, you can freeze the tracks later to help with memory, but that's a lot of unnecessary stress on an older device when the whole drum kit can be balanced and tweaked within a drum app, and all of that mixed into one Auria track.

For all the apps I have already bought, you'd assume I'd have bought DrumPerfect months ago, but I still haven't. The interface puts me off a little, and I worry about sluggish performance, though it bounces loops through ACP, so that should solve that problem. Then again, you have to make loops that are long enough to benefit from the probability features that differ each time the measure rolls around, otherwise I'd be kinda defeating the purpose.

I have Stochastik, which I delete from my device from time to time - it has ACP but not AudioBus (amazingly), and it's cheaper. It basically works in similar fashion as DrumPerfect, except it lacks the variation in hit velocity, time signatures, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stochastik-drum-machine/id504084052?mt=8

• @StormJH1 said:

@Coloobar said:

Try GoldDrums.sf2 soundfont available at www.hammersound.net (loaded into BS-16i)

I will have to check that out too! I need to remember that even though playing drums on a keyboard feels kind of lame, it should be totally possible to use a MIDI controller/sequencer like Xynthesizer (which even has velocity control!) to automate bs-16i percussion SoundFonts.

I read about a few other soundfonts that I haven't tried yet personally. "Deth Metal" and the Douglas Studio Kit V2.0. Might be worth a look.

Oh, and Jam Maestro has a metal kit in it, and a nice sequencer, too. Now that I think about it, that might be great way to go. You could also use Jam Maestro as the sequencer and then route the midi out to BS-16i if you like a particular soundfont.

• @Ripper said:

Cool, I already have Auria, can I only replace existing drum tracks with Drmagog, or can I use Drumagog alone for all the drum tracks?

No Drumagog can only replace drums, not create them - you probably already figured that out though.

If you do opt for Drumagog be sure to email WML with your iTunes receipt, they will send you a whole bunch of extra samples.

• Is Drumperfect capable of doing fast double kicks?

• @Ripper said:

Is Drumperfect capable of doing fast double kicks?

The 8 beats on the screen can each be subdivided into 16, so it can play 128th notes, and the maximum tempo is 180 BPM. I imagine that should be enough.

• edited July 2014

Jam Maestro is an excellent app for metal drums, guitar, and bass. It even has a Between The Buried and Me demo.

Ahh didn't see that @Coloobar

• @richardyot said:

@Ripper said:

Is Drumperfect capable of doing fast double kicks?

The 8 beats on the screen can each be subdivided into 16, so it can play 128th notes, and the maximum tempo is 180 BPM. I imagine that should be enough.

I think we have a winner.

• Checkout DrumStudio as well...

• @fjcblanco said:

Checkout DrumStudio as well...

Thanks I will.

• You may need to create a Metal kit for Drum perfect if you can find suitable samples, it doesn't come with one, it mainly has lighter ones.

• @PaulB said:

You may need to create a Metal kit for Drum perfect if you can find suitable samples, it doesn't come with one, it mainly has lighter ones.

That's slightly disturbing, but I have some great samples.

• @PaulB said:

You may need to create a Metal kit for Drum perfect if you can find suitable samples, it doesn't come with one, it mainly has lighter ones.

Another reason why Superior/EZDrummer needs to break into the iOS market.

Anyone know of a drum app that can easily browze a rather large tree of folders containing midi files and then preview, drag, and drop them into a midi piano roll-type editor (like what you can do with the EZDrummer vsti)? I have a rather large collection of Groove Monkee drum loops I bought that are still sitting idle until I find a good solution to this for this on iOS.

• The kit creation process isn't too bad once the samples are imported. I made a kit out of Derek Buddemeyer's Studio kit samples.

• @TGiG said:

Jam Maestro is an excellent app for metal drums, guitar, and bass. It even has a Between The Buried and Me demo.

Ahh didn't see that @Coloobar

Thanks, just picked this up.

• I'm still using DM1, you can load whatever samples you want and get some super-fast double pedaling. I've used it with great success in my tracks if you want to check them out. I just wish there was a piano roll etc.. Agreed, Superior/EZdrummer is needed! Must check out Jam Maestro, any good?

• edited July 2014

I just remembered Julian's metal track posted on here recently using DM1. Only real problem is the drums have only one set of dynamics / velocity sensitivity. Seems like a good approach though if you don't mind that limitation: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2389/metal-track-using-jamup-dm1-and-garageband/p1

• If you have Xewton Music Studio, you could check out the metal kit I made for it. You can download the kit here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YFgTlKjm5FaGg1ZzZ4TnR3NjA/edit?usp=sharing

• @FrankieJay said:

Already got this, but no AB

• For what you're doing, I don't think any iOS app is what you need yet. Ez drummer or a program like that on your computer is going to be your best bet.

I will be very happy the day ez drummer or jamstix shows up on iOS. Or apple decides to incorporate the drummer on their desktop version if GarageBand into the iOS version. We were using that on Sunday to work up demos for our session this week and it was very easy and sounds amazing. We have since recorded final versions with the real drummer (a human!) but drummer (GarageBand) was fantastic. Too bad my macbook maxes out at lion.