Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• @thepinkelefant I've had no problems so far getting samples into iMPC thru the bus.

• I hate it that they freakin' lied again. I specifically asked if I can use 16 levels to play a note polyphonically. Like CHORDS polyphonically.
    I was given the specific answer "Yes. Using 16 levels". 16 levels my @$$. It doesn't work.

I'll use it for what it is. A drum sampler/sequencer. But making songs in this... only if I record loops with fixed melodies.

It's a good purchase though.

PS: Note repeat + velocity slider doesn't work.

Also, hitting 2-3 pads simultaneously sends midi signals to itself and probably thinks it has a MPC Element connected, because it changes the screen. It wouldn't have been iMPC by Retronyms if it had no bugs :))

• Any details on the song tab? I searched around and couldn't even find a screenshot. You'd think with all the build up they would have touched on it, both literally and figuratively. :)

• No midi in... Can't find impc pro in tabletop... Useless?

• Sorry if I'm repeating here but does it sync to a DAW eg Cubasis so it plays in time, and I don't see any mention of midi which seems a no brainer to me for a sampler? I really want a good sampler for my iPad is this it or just another Retronyms go it alone app?

• SONG MODE. It's actually nice.

• @jackhead : no sync, no midi in, no midi out, no audiobus, IAA only as generator (no synth)... It's just another bad joke from Retronym.

• It has Audiobus if you load it through AudioShare or Loopy as noted previously.

• @thinds said:

And let's not forget Retronyms have provided some comprehensive videos prior to release and not many companies do that.

Let's not forget that they have akai breathing down their necks.

• @thinds : yes, but without midi in it's useless for me. i'm sad :(

• Well, life is too short to be sad about this sort of thing :-)

• You're right thinds...But i was thinking impc pro will be THE biggest drum expander for ios. and it's just a toy (imo).

• edited July 2014

My middle finger went off and bought it, shit!

Seller: Akai Professional, that explains a lot of Retronyms behaviour. Akai is a huge company with all sorts of reasons for their actions. Anybody who's ever worked for a big company will know how crusty in their ways they can be.

edit: maybe in this case crusty means clever.

• @alexbuga Have you tried reading the manual, to help with your velocity and polyphony issues?

Full Level mostly relates to Hardware controllers. When a hardware controller is connected, toggling full level on will turn off velocity sensing — all key or pad strikes will trigger sounds at full velocity.

Note: when no hardware is connected, full level still has a subtle effect: all pads triggered will full level off will be recorded at 70% velocity. When full level is on, pads will be triggered at 100% velocity.

16 Levels

When enabled, 16 Levels causes all pads to play the sample of the last played pad, each with variations of the currently selected parameter. There are four parameters that can be adjusted with 16 Levels:

Filter
    Velocity
    Length
    Tuning
    In 16 Levels the default parameter values will sound on Pad 4, the bottom right pad, with the rows above increasingly applying the selected parameter. Use the variation slider to add additional changes to the parameter.

• Ok any date for an update? :)

• edited July 2014

I accept the fact that the app doesn't live up to all the high expectations of some forum members. That aside, I personally think the tone in this thread doesn't suit the overall positive vibe of this great forum. I'd love to see some first impressions about all the nice things IMPC Pro CAN do. We've all watched the series of IMPC Prolog videos which show a lot of nice features in the app. How about some constructive first impressions of the app? Just my 2 cents, so don't shoot me for being positive. After all, try buying a hardware MPC for the price of this app, even if the app is a little crippled.

• @Maarten said:

I accept the fact that the app doesn't live up to all the high expectations of some forum members. That aside, I personally think the tone in this thread doesn't suit the overall positive vibe of this great forum. I'd love to see some first impressions about all the nice things IMPC Pro can do. We've all watched the series of IMPC Prolog videos which show a lot of nice features in the app. How about some constructive first impressions of the app? Just my 2 cents, so don't shoot me for being positive.

Every great forum allows for a certain amount of bitching. Vibrant conversations require a certain amount of difference in opinions and that IMO is exactly what makes forums tick. I personally wouldn't like this to turn into a 'say yes to everything' forum.

P.s. I'm sure many good things will come as soon as people get their chance to play with it.

• The one thing I'd like added is Midi. That's my one issue if I have one, because I'd like to control everything from Lemur. The nondestructive editing is very nice, and with the AB workaround using AudioShare and Loopy, getting sounds in and out is easy. I haven't experienced any glitching or freezes yet running multiple apps. The file system is nice as well. It's just drag and drop on a pad, and we can audition sounds first. To me, the layout flows and all is in it's place. Easy to navigate.

• edited July 2014

This is certainly not a well oiled machine in terms of being able to use IAA to record samples into iMPC pro. Need to review the promo vids to see if there's an easy way to delete bad samples from your sound library in the app. At times it gets confused about whether it's getting sound from another app or trying to send sound to it.

It doesn't show up in Tabletop, although the old iMPC does and can be controlled by midi from there. Hopefully they'll fix this Tabletop glitch so that it works like the non-pro version.

At this point I'm going to delete the app and reinstall to see if that cures any of what I'm experiencing.

After reinstalling the app it's still a no show in Tabletop.

There is some midi control for some of the transport functions which I discovered while trying to see if I could get any of the pads to respond to a midi keyboard. I couldn't get any of the pads to respond so at this point the iMPC version is more useful and functional for me.

• Have you even read what I wrote?
    NOTE REPEAT ON.
    Performance slider set to VELOCITY.

Hold hihat and adjust velocity (for human feel). Doesn't work.

As for polyphony, I know how 16 levels pitch works. I've owned 2 real MPCs in the past, but I asked JP if they allow you to trigger multiple notes of the same sample via this mode. Like Maschine or JJOS. I wanted to sample a note and play chords. But I can live without that.

@ArcaneScreams said:**

@alexbuga Have you tried reading the manual, to help with your velocity and polyphony issues?

Full Level mostly relates to Hardware controllers. When a hardware controller is connected, toggling full level on will turn off velocity sensing — all key or pad strikes will trigger sounds at full velocity.

Note: when no hardware is connected, full level still has a subtle effect: all pads triggered will full level off will be recorded at 70% velocity. When full level is on, pads will be triggered at 100% velocity.

16 Levels

When enabled, 16 Levels causes all pads to play the sample of the last played pad, each with variations of the currently selected parameter. There are four parameters that can be adjusted with 16 Levels:

Filter
    Velocity
    Length
    Tuning
    In 16 Levels the default parameter values will sound on Pad 4, the bottom right pad, with the rows above increasingly applying the selected parameter. Use the variation slider to add additional changes to the parameter.

• There still seems to be no way to delete user-recorded samples without resorting to iTunes/iFunBox, seriously it's a big 'NO BUY' warning sign as i know it's not an iOS restriction, i had honestly higher hopes...

As for the lump of samples supplied it would be smarter for all developers to do rsync to remote a sample library / demo-content after asking if the user want's it.

I lack words to comment the iMPC 'Pro' Q&A/Beta-Testers (Either at Akai, Retronyms or 3rd party), I doubt those people took the job seriously...

This is only tip of the ice-berg, what happened to the 'program & samples' one creates in iMPC 'Pro', they are not available once used inside TableTop, C'mon.

I'll try to calm down but I feel once again cheated by Akai & Retronyms...

• Also, THIS happened. HTTP error while uploading to soundcloud with no way to get back.
    Man, you gotta love these guys :)))

• edited July 2014

So what's the step by step for getting sounds in there via Audiobus using either Audioshare or Loopy?

• edited July 2014

@alexbuga said:

Have you even read what I wrote?

I did read your message. And I offered you some assistance and some clarity. Do not speak to me that way.

• They will need to bring the service update pretty soon with it not showing within tabletop. Guess it will give us a chance to learn it properly before using it within tt.

• edited July 2014

@Paulinko said:

It doesn't show up in Tabletop, although the old iMPC does and can be controlled by midi from there. Hopefully they'll fix this Tabletop glitch so that it works like the non-pro version.

It's funny because I asked Retronyms if the "pro" version has inputs inside Tabletop like the classic impc to sample directly but they replied "will add it to our feature request list."
    It seems ,first they have to make impc pro appear inside Tabletop LOL!

• edited July 2014

Ok positive things :

You can upload folders in user bank folder (each user folder can load subfolder) with ifunbox, you can change the name of the folder.
    Turbo duck is fun...but it's just a sidechain compressor.

wait...i can do that in Beatmaker 2 since a long long time ^^

• @goldifish
    Does it chop straight to pads?Or you have to save the samples first?

• Ok, found the use in tabletop button but it just starts tt and does nothing. Can't see it on the list of apps either. I know we're supposed to be positive during Christmas but wtf retronyms, you can't even link up your own apps properly?!

• Sampling through audiobus is definitely something I'm liking very much.