Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro trim and chop video

Looks pretty nice. If you could only sample with audiobus. I did see an IAA tab at the bottom of the screen.

Comments

• It would have IAA

• Looking real nice, might have to buy an Mpc fly if this works as well as advertised

• Might finally sell my mpc500

• Seems better and better every week, no audiobus is no problem for me, still looks a lot of fun!

• I had the MPC Element but the Essential software that came with it is Crap, returned it and got Maschine instead and haven't look back,

• @djjuniorpops said:

I had the MPC Element but the Essential software that came with it is Crap, returned it and got Maschine instead and haven't look back,

oh yes im well aware of how crap the mpc software is.. i had a mpc-studio but also returned it. hardware was fantastic but the software was utter shite. crashed constantly on windows and mac. i have a mpc2500 and mpc500. i was thinking of just turning the ipad into a portable mpc and selling the 500 to fund the mpcfly case. will wait and see though as i nearly bought a fly for impc 1 and am glad i didnt as that app was a major letdown

• New in Version 1.3:
    Inter-App Audio Integration

iMPC is now opened up to the world of iOS, so you can sample directly from your other music apps. This update adds support for the new inter-app audio protocol in iOS 7. Inter-app audio allows you to route audio and control data between apps on your device. Use iMPC's sampler and inter-app audio to record new sounds from compatible apps for use in your programs.

• @gmslayton said:

If you could only sample with audiobus. I did see an IAA tab at the bottom of the screen.

I wonder if you could sample Audiobus into iMPC Pro using Cubasis? Seems like it could work in real time with Cubasis in the AB output, and iMPC in the Cubasis insert slot.
    Audiobus > Cubasis > [IAA] > iMPC

• @thelongrays said:

New in Version 1.3:

iMPC is now opened up to the world of iOS, so you can sample directly from your other music apps. This update adds support for the new inter-app audio protocol in iOS 7. Inter-app audio allows you to route audio and control data between apps on your device. Use iMPC's sampler and inter-app audio to record new sounds from compatible apps for use in your programs.

1.3 was released in Nov.2013 and the IAA implementation was/is clumsy and buggy.You cannot use iMPC as a node in full featured DAW apps. such as Cubasis and Auria. Even when using the limited IAA feature within IAA to sample from another app. is problematic because of a bug that causes the iMPC app. to stop playing in the background once an IAA instrument is launched.Retronyms was notified as soon as the 1.3 came out, but never delivered an update. Hopefully the iMPC Pro app. will be better supported and not abandoned like the current app.

• @thelongrays said:

New in Version 1.3:

1.3 was released in Nov.2013 and the IAA implementation was/is clumsy and buggy.You cannot use iMPC as a node in full featured DAW apps. such as Cubasis and Auria. Even when using the limited IAA feature within IAA to sample from another app. is problematic because of a bug that causes the iMPC app. to stop playing in the background once an IAA instrument is launched.Retronyms was notified as soon as the 1.3 came out, but never delivered an update. Hopefully the iMPC Pro app. will be better supported and not abandoned like the current app.

• @thelongrays said:

New in Version 1.3:

• Sorry about the duplicate posts, it appears as if I or the site is having TCP problems. I tried to delete the dups. to no avail.

• Damn Dahm get it together :p

• @Buska said:

Damn Dahm get it together :p

Lol, I think I have it together now:)

• I hope you went on the retronyms and akai facebook page and asked those questions, there are too many things that take some simple straight answers from retronyms, people need to start holding them accountable.

• at 13:17 you can tell it's getting good to Jp :)
    at least it's good to see somebody enjoying what they are doing but he needs to come correct with those answers.

1. why when you export a loop in the impc app does it leave space at the end forcing you to re-edit the loop? this was the first bug, and they admitted it was a bug on facebook and said they were putting in tickets to to get it fixed. what gives?
  • Looking really good to me. "play through end" or movable playhead should be a feature in anything that sets loop points! Tempo based ruler with snapping would be welcome as well.

• I like that the ability to assign a segment of a sample to a pad is in the edit screen and the option to audition before and after the start/end points. No vertical zoom, though? (hardware MPC's do that)

• i was pondering the lack of vertical zoom as well, he did alright without it but however minute one might think that feature is I'd rather have it than not.

• Nice specs...

Akai has also released specifications for iMPC Pro, which address a lot of reader questions about the new app:

A platform for creating sample-based music on your iPad with renowned MPC functionality
    Sample audio from the iPad microphone, line-in, or your music library using the multi-touch turntable interface
    64 tracks for flexible multi-tracking recording and production
    Sample Editor with undo history for slicing, chopping, trimming, and categorizing your loops and samples
    All-new Timeline View opens a multi-touch gestural editor for sequencing, recording, and editing
    All-new Flux mode lets you warp and glitch your beats in real-time or with automation
    All-new Precision Knobs expand on command for precisely dialing in parameters
    All-new 3D-performance mode lets your perform with your iPad’s accelerometer
    All-new Turbo Duck effect fattens up your tracks with sidechain compression
    Exclusive sound library featuring 1,200+ samples from sound designer Richard Devine
    Improved sampling workflow with re-sampling and sample library organization
    16 Levels mode with attack, velocity, length, and tuning settings for quickly creating variations of your sounds
    Note Variation slider lets you adjust attack, velocity, length, and tuning as you play
    Onboard effects include delay, bit crusher, and master compressor/limiter
    Live Sequence queuing for real-time performance and playback
    Time correct: 1/8 note – 1/32T with variable swing
    MPC Note Repeat featuring 1/8 note – 1/32T timing with latch
    Supports Inter-App Audio in iOS7 for sampling from your other music apps
    AudioCopy and AudioPaste for copying/pasting beats and sequences from compatible apps
    Seamless integration with Retronym’s Tabletop app for iPad, a modular audio environment
    Export tracks to MPC Software for use with MPC Renaissance and MPC Studio
    Works with MPC Element via the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
    Supports WIST, wireless Sync Start protocol from Korg
    Community sharing built-in: directly upload to SoundCloud, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or export to your computer
    iOS support for simple drag-and-drop, plucking, and multi-touch music gestures
    Interactive gesture control for automation, mixing, and effects
    Note: iMPC Pro is currently in development, so features are subject to change. Pricing and availability for iMPC Pro are to be announced.

• edited June 2014

No sign of Audiobus then or IAA node ability or midi in......such a damn shame...still such a gaping hole for an app like this in AB2 & IAA.....maybe @Dreamless will get his update sorted for beatmachine...

• OK, but what about the features it does have?

• @DaveMagoo said:

No sign of Audiobus then or IAA node ability or midi in......

Yes, good things that it does have - but these omissions just made it a bit of an island for my workflow and removed it from my wishlist :(

• edited June 2014

Yeah its great at what it does (and it does a lot) but it doesn't fit into my workflow at all.

I'm sure most will find it awesome tbh as in and of its self it looks really good.

I just know my preferred workflow, and without integration via IAA or ab2 it will sit unused.....like a lot of other expensive apps I own including Tabletop and all its expansions and impc.

I figured out I need to focus on what complements the way I like to work as opposed to what next great apps vision I get sold on.

I may still buy it if the price is right thought, temptation is ripe :(

• Retronyms confirmed several times on the boards that it 'would' have IAA node support and 'would' work in host apps like Cubasis.... I'm not sure why it wasn't mentioned in this post though...

• After purchasing iMini in good faith that the virtual midi would be fixed, but wasn't, and iMPC in good faith that AB would be added, but wasn't, I'm put off. It seems to be asking a lot from this company just to have virtual midi and audio pipeline working right

• @Audiojunkie said:

Retronyms confirmed several times on the boards that it 'would' have IAA node support and 'would' work in host apps like Cubasis.... I'm not sure why it wasn't mentioned in this post though...

Fair point "we are supporting IAA in a few creative ways including node" .. so hopefully it can be used by a host.

But if no midi or clock sync might not do much in my IAA slots

• edited June 2014

@Trueyorky said:

OK, but what about the features it does have?

The features it does/will have are good. A definite improvement over the original iMPC, but have been available on Beatmaker for several years and as others have pointed out they still are not acknowledging the need for AB2 integration. They are also missing other key features such as timestretch and automation recording.
    Overall I think most will be happy with the updated app., but Retronyms has a history of painfully slow updates and extremely poor application support.

• @Dham pretty sure I saw automation recording in one of their videos for this app.

• Nice feature list. "Exclusive sound library featuring 1,200+ samples from sound designer Richard Devine" sounds promising. Hopefully users can remove the ones that don't suit them.