Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Focusrite itrack dock...Are you using it?

Since the Focusrite itrack dock preview at 2014 NAMM, one has had to pre-order the £169.00 audio interface built especially for iPads and iOS beatmakers & musicians.

A June 2014 release date was predicted and this week I have noticed it is now available to purchase.

I was thinking of buying it because quality wise it seems like the 'best out there'. But I don't like the idea of my iPad Air hanging off the side of it, whereas the iPad Mini sits snuggly in the hub...

Has anyone bought it yet?

If you have, how is it running?

Is it worth my investment?

Is anyone thinking of buying it?

Alesis & Behringer seem to be the only (low budget) competitors and none of them are straightforwardly iPad Air compatible anyway...or am I missing something?

Here is the Focusrite itrack dock: http://uk.focusrite.com/ipad-audio-interfaces/itrack-dock#overview

Thanks in advance & Peace:)

Comments

• edited June 2014

So I guess this is out now. Yes I want one.

• edited June 2014

I considered it, but it has a fatal flaw: you can't blend between the latency-free live input and the wet signal (that has latency), it's either one or the other - so in the end I went for the 2i4 because it has a dial which lets you blend the two signals.

The reason this is a problem is that the direct monitoring won't let you hear what is already recorded in the DAW, so you have to disable it, and then you get latency. It depends on whether that is an issue for you or not I guess, I don't mind a little latency when playing guitar but for singing I can't handle it at all, it's just too disconcerting to hear your voice even a fraction of a second late.

When you blend the two signals you get the best of both worlds: because you can hear yourself immediately but with some wet signal as well for added reverb and compression etc which really helps the performance. And obviously you can hear the already recorded tracks, which is essential.

• edited June 2014

I don't see the difference. I'm certainly missing something. This company is rather impressive, no? :D

• I use the 2i2 sometimes, the direct monitor switch seems to blend ok when switched on, does the itrack operate differently?

• @WMWM said:

I use the 2i2 sometimes, the direct monitor switch seems to blend ok when switched on, does the itrack operate differently?

OK - I think I got it wrong, sorry :)

There is a blend with the direct monitor switch, but you can't control the level directly, you have to adjust levels in your DAW. Not as bad as I thought then, and sorry for the misinformation.

• edited June 2014

@richardyot

The guy in this Focusrite video seems ok...

@nubus
    The difference is quality & price. But sometimes its all much of a much less as sometimes one company makes cheaper components for the next etc...

Which is why I asked...

Thanks guys!

• @richardyot My first professional Audio Interface is a Digidesign Mbox (first version) and is from Focusrite, I bought it many years ago, have very very little latency, imperceptible, and I like very much, I use it right now today.
    So I think iTrack Dock will be the same...I'm thinking to buy one of this :-)

• edited June 2014

A heads up. If you are in the US and want one now, B&H has them in stock for $199 free shipping, but you need to order before 12 noon EDT, as they are closing for a few days (another holiday), which they do often, apparently. I checked other places-no luck

• Wonder how bh photo got them, Sweetwater and mf still don't!

• edited June 2014

@Bootsy said:

Wonder how bh photo got them, Sweetwater and mf still don't!

I know, SW usually gets gear pretty quick, but B&H are rather a large player. MF, on the other hand seems to not be in any rush to stock anything.

But you never know.

note, I just notice on my Paypal receipt it says: Merchant: B&H Foto & Electronics Corp

Foto? :D

Maybe that's to distinguish themselves from the legitimate company, who would actually send me something, which would explain why they have stock. Or maybe it's just a typo....yes that's it :D

• Apparently it is the informal spelling of photo according to wiktionary! :)

• @Bootsy said:

Apparently it is the informal spelling of photo according to wiktionary! :)

My GOD it's all going to hell :D

• I guess we can just spell things however we like and then say it's my informal spelling!

• edited June 2014

@richardyot said:

There is a blend with the direct monitor switch, but you can't control the level directly, you have to adjust levels in your DAW.

That's a handy function. This model is probably the smartest choice as it's complete, and doesn't cost that much more.

• And yes it is all going to hell! ;D

• edited June 2014

@Bootsy said:

I guess we can just spell things however we like and then say it's my informal spelling!

Do people know how to spell anymore? I don't, that's for sure

• Snagged one from B&H. I've been waiting for this thing for months! I normally use an RME Babyface with my iPad Air ... but I'm getting this as a less clunky solution for quick/portable work.

• I just don't get why Alesis and Focusrite make these DIs in the form of docks, what with Apple's tradition of changing dimensions, connectors, and so on. I'd much rather this in the form of a separate box.

• You can find lightning connector extender cables to accomplish that @miguelmarcos, however I'm not familiar with their reliability.

• Yes, someone on the forum a while ago reported doing just that with one of the docks and it worked fine. I think it was with Behringer is202 and ipad mini. It probably will work with this too but genuine 30pin to lightning adapter may be necessary.

• @miguelmarcos said:

I just don't get why Alesis and Focusrite make these DIs in the form of docks, what with Apple's tradition of changing dimensions, connectors, and so on. I'd much rather this in the form of a separate box.

If you notice the first three IPads had exactly the same form factor which probably made manufacturers believe it's gonna stay that way. How wrong were they???!!!

• Here's the thread that talks about the istudio and adapter trick

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/62293#Comment_62293

• edited June 2014

I just don't get why Alesis and Focusrite make these DIs in the form of docks, what with Apple's tradition of changing dimensions, connectors, and so on. I'd much rather this in the form of a separate box.

There's a market, apparently.

• Any word on hooking up a USB hub to this for multiple midi devices?

• @miguelmarcos This one addresses the changing form factor by having the lightning connector slide up and down.

• edited June 2014

@distropolis said:

@miguelmarcos This one addresses the changing form factor by having the lightning connector slide up and down.

I know the connector slides, and then all you would need is spacers for the back, which can be made out of anything. If it fits the iPad 4 it will fit anything else (probably).

• It comes with a spacer for the Air.

• Does anyone have an opinion about the upcoming Griffen StudioConnect HD? It will be about the same price as the Focusrite iTrack.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/studioconnect-hd

The iTrack probably has better specs; but I don't like the idea of a permanent dock. If the Lightning extender cables really work, you you pick up the iPad off the dock and perform hand held performances that some of the iPad music apps are designed for. It would be easier to lift the iPad off the Griffin StudioConnect HD.

I have the older 30-pin Griffin StudioConnect and have tried to order 30-pin extension cables. After two orders and returns to Amazon.com, I gave up.

• You can find a lightning version of the old Griffin Studio connect. I bought a new one off of Ebay for $70.

• I'm familiar with the sliding Lightning connector Focusrite designed to accommodate the Mini and regular sized iPads. I know about extension cables, I have one myself from the old 30 pin connector days.

Here's what bothers me: If I had an iTrack, upgraded to a new iPad and found it didn't fit right and/or Apple made a change to the connector and I found I had to use an extension cable and place my iPad to the side of my iTrack I would not be a happy camper. I'd have an undockable dock.

I might also want to use it as a DI for my Mac or PC. I'd prefer a space efficient box on my desk for this. The Solo can be used with a Mac or PC. I'm not positive about the iTrack can but I don't see why it can't be used with a Mac or PC. (Actually, they could've also designed it to send the digital audio signal from an iPad to a Mac or PC, but that's above and beyond the iTrack's reason for existence.) If people have enough money to burn to buy a DI for each machine, good for them. Not me.

I've had an iPad since day one but I've been burned too often with Apple's changes in device dimensions and connectors to invest in such a model specific item. I think the combination of features of the iTrack is superb and at an excellent price point. I've been waiting so long I would've jumped instantly but I'll be patient and wait for something more functional.