Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Crystalline - 1.1 update out with MIDI learn + latest Audiobus SDK

Hello everyone, here's a first look/listen to my new app Crystalline.

Crystalline is a dedicated shimmer delay/reverb effects processor based on Echo Pad's shimmer effect, but much more powerful.

I'll be posting more video and audio demos over the next week so check back often. If you'd like, here's where you can subscribe to my newsletter and YouTube channels.

Newsletter (Get notified of upcoming app launches and important updates)
http://crystallineapp.com/launch

Subscribe to Holderness Media YouTube channel
http://youtube.com/holdernessmedia

EDIT by Sebastian: Took the liberty and changed the headline now that it's live.

Comments

• Nice! Looking forward to that!

• I did hear somewhere, the older you get, the less sleep you require. Looks, and sounds great.

• sounds nice,count me in (again).Introducing price (again)?

• Instabuy. Sounds great.

Two requests:

1) "awesome but not as awesome mode" for those of us on older iPads.

2) LFO or motion looper (guess that would be lovely on all of the newer UI framework apps).

• yes,motion looper please (for swoopster and stereo designer as well pleeeeaaaseee) :-)
    With clock sync ;-)

• Thanks guys!
    @syrupcore @crabman - Thanks for the feature suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for updates.

Also, Crystalline runs fine on iPad 2 in Audiobus as long as you aren't running too many apps.

For example, Sunrizer >>> Swoopster >>> Crystalline >>> Stereo Designer >>> AudioShare is running glitch free at 512 samples on my iPad 2.

• For what it's worth, I'd actually prefer a couple of assignable LFOs to motion loopers—less fuss. Unless, of course, the motion loopers had LFO style presets... :)

I'm imagining you're going through the process of making great sounding effects apps that are interesting to you and then we can expect some global holderness media updates that enhance all apps built on the new framework (like LFOs or iPhone versions). No idea if that's true, natch.

Every single one sounds great, happy to wait (or never get, really) and I'm stoked that you've got a good reusable UI to riff on. I also like that the UI to some extent imposes restraints on what you can jam into each app. Echo Pad is a jaw dropping app but there's an awful lot to learn (and remember) with it. The new ones are just like 'bam, awesome. Move your finger some and leave your questions at home."

• @syrupcore said:

For what it's worth, I'd actually prefer a couple of assignable LFOs to motion loopers—less fuss. Unless, of course, the motion loopers had LFO style presets... :)

I'm imagining you're going through the process of making great sounding effects apps that are interesting to you and then we can expect some global holderness media updates that enhance all apps built on the new framework (like LFOs or iPhone versions). No idea if that's true, natch.

Every single one sounds great, happy to wait (or never get, really) and I'm stoked that you've got a good reusable UI to riff on. I also like that the UI to some extent imposes restraints on what you can jam into each app. Echo Pad is a jaw dropping app but there's an awful lot to learn (and remember) with it. The new ones are just like 'bam, awesome. Move your finger some and leave your questions at home."

You definitely seem to get where I'm coming from. I've always loved stompboxes, especially from companies that create effects with a sonic character that makes them unique.

You are spot on with the UI, my personal opinion is that the "limitations" of guitar pedals by having a set number of sliders or knobs is actually a really good thing for creativity and expressive control, and companies like Electro Harmonix, ZVex and Boss are definitely a big source of inspiration for me.

When I had a lot of guitar gear, I always preferred a large pedalboard with a dozen or so unique and sonically colorful pedals so I could experiment, re-order easily, and have fun creating interesting tones, and that's what I'm currently focusing on when developing my effects apps.

• Just posted a new video, "How Do Guitars Sound Through Crystalline?".

This should give guitarists a clear idea of how Crystalline sounds, this is just clean guitar plugged into my Apogee JAM, into Crystalline in Audiobus.

Guitar is an Epiphone Broadway semi-hollowbody, stock neck pickup.

• Gorgeous sound!

• release date?

• Sounds lush!

• @Crabman said:

release date?

Soon is the best I can do right now due to the nature of App Review, but I submitted a couple of days ago.

• @funjunkie27 said:

Gorgeous sound!

@Oblique said:

Sounds lush!

Thank you! More video/audio demos in the next few days.

• edited April 2014

@HoldernessMedia said:

I submitted a couple of days ago.

yay :)

• Lovely!

fwiw: When searching for Crystalline on appstore, I noticed there's a game with the same name...

• @mmp said:

Lovely!

fwiw: When searching for Crystalline on appstore, I noticed there's a game with the same name...

Ugh, dammit...that definitely wasn't there before, looks like it just got released a week ago on the 21st.

I've had the name registered with Apple for awhile so hopefully it won't cause any problems, but that still sucks. :/

• great looking app! :0)

• My purchasing finger is primed and ready.

• edited April 2014

Bummer about the name but it won't stop me!

• I'm excited for this, big time...love the effect in Echo Pad. Will be awesome to get it in a more in-depth, singular place!

• Wow, great sound, and a lovely and beatiful effect

• I listened to the teaser on headphones now and man,it sounds SO good.Can't wait :)

• Thanks guys! Just waiting on app review, hopefully not too much longer. :)

• This effect sounds great, I like the consistency between app interface idea, instantly familiar with the new.

• Here's another video, this time I'm just playing a few notes here and there, again to show clearly how Crystalline sounds. I used a sweet old analog Yamaha PS-20, as well iSEM in the video.

• edited April 2014

So,while we are waiting i would like to make one more feature suggestion.An easy one this time (i guess) :-) All of your apps after Echo pad are quite"bright"on the eyes.I would be really happy about an alternative,darker,colour scheme.I just inverted a screenshot from SD and although brown is not really my favorite colour,it is definitely more"relaxed"at least on my eyes.

And:After the screenshots slipped to my iPhone (4s)via cloud sync i realized how well the Interface would work on iPhones as well.Better than Echo Pad imo.May i ask you why your apps aren't universal anymore (or do you still have plans to add that later?)?

• edited April 2014

@Crabman said:

So,while we are waiting i would like to make one more feature suggestion.An easy one this time (i guess) :-) All of your apps after Echo pad are quite"bright"on the eyes.I would be really happy about an alternative,darker,colour scheme.I just inverted a screenshot from SD and although brown is not really my favorite colour,it is definitely more"relaxed"at least on my eyes.

And:After the screenshots slipped to my iPhone (4s)via cloud sync i realized how well the Interface would work on iPhones as well.Better than Echo Pad imo.May i ask you why your apps aren't universal anymore (or do you still have plans to add that later?)?

The new apps are designed to be bright and very clear for ease of use, especially in live situations. I'll consider maybe an option to toggle between two color schemes, but can't promise anything.

I haven't given up on the iPhone or anything, just focusing on iPad for now.
    Although I agree with you that the current UI for my latest apps would work pretty well on iPhone, I would prefer to create a new dedicated UI for the iPhone that makes the most sense for that form factor. This is obviously quite a bit more development time and has simply not been my focus at the moment.

I can't promise that I'll make iPhone versions, but I'm definitely considering it, maybe later this year.

• Thanks for your reply.I slightly disagree regarding the live situations though.I don't think it's a benefit if a screen (no matter if Notebook or iPad)is bright as a headlight and the performer got an unnatural white face while staring at the screen ;-) I often used my ipad in clubs and was always VERY thankful for dark(er)interfaces.

And regarding the iPhone screen:you really don't need to rebuild the interface,at least the screenshot showed me that it would fit really well on the small screen.In fact,better than many dedicated"made for iphone"interfaces.

But thanks for consider the suggestions!