Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Thanks Morris! Will check it out.

• edited April 2014

You're welcome @StormJH1 Remember, whoever purchases this version, can update to ipad version without added cost for app or IAP. IAP is for midi.

• Crashes consistently when loading a saved file on my Air

• No crashes on ipad 2. This one is a winner also. Will play in landscape on ipad.

• Just done a reboot etc. and it still crashes everytime you load a file from the menu. The revolving disc comes up and sits there for 5 seconds then the app closes down.

• I saved a couple of files and no problem. Shoot the Dev a pm on the forum. His user name is Benkman.

• Crashes on iPhone 5s.

• Thanks for the crash reports --- could you send info to me at support at olympianoiseco dot com? Hopefully we can track it down quickly!!

• @benkamen I purchased the midi IAP but unable to connect to other apps. Thanks.

• Sent you email @benkamen

• Purchased midi IAP too and unable to connect to other apps.

• edited April 2014

Just got it to connect to Sunrizer, but it's not consistent.

• edited April 2014

Ok, thanks, looking into it.
    I would try quitting dM and restarting it -- sounds like mgmg4871 got it to work that way. Also make sure that background audio is on in any apps that are accepting MIDI. mgmg4871 , do you mean consistent timing? Or something else?

• After quitting DM got midi to work with SampleTank. Haven't tested anything else yet.

• Sorry not working only showed up as an instrument. Tried with other apps. ERROR "MIDI port not found using default output".

• Ok I have a good idea of what's happening. Thanks for the report.

• Ipad3, IOS 7.1. DM working in AB2, +save/load preset,+ bought Midi IAP, instrument set to midi and Isem finds the 3 DM midi channels, but NO sound

• I can confirm that quitting and then restarting the app with the target midi app still running does "solve" the no sound midi issue.

• Thanks -- A fix is on the way.

• What's it like otherwise. Would love feedback on wether you think its useful for playing around and working out ideas...

• @gkillmaster I think it's awesome, and very musical. I really like ability to change chords, and add patterns.

• @mgmg4871 - Did you say that Virtual MIDI is an IAP? Looks like it's only $1.99, so not a huge deal. I assume by "MIDI" you mean using dot-Melody to drive other synths using the chords and progressions generated by the app? (similar to Xynthesizr, etc.)

I watched the video last night - apps like this are hard for me to read. Xynthesizr looked like a toy to me, but after I bought it, it turned out to be one of the first MIDI arppegiators I've been able to use. But just as often, these "draw on screen...music results" can be hard to fit into an existing project. In this case, it does look like the chords and notes being featured are visually represented, so it's more "instrument-like".

The iPad version is coming later, I assume?

• @StormJH1 Yes, virtual midi to drive other apps. dM is very intuitive and musical. I don't think you'll have a problem adding to existing projects.

• The Pattern Page was a surprise (under the Spinning Cog - upper right). There's generate button, reverse, some sort of mirroring or swapping, and a delete. Potentially great for making your own fugues.

• edited April 2014

AND you can select and drag a note on the "sequence" part of the Pattern Page and move it around.

On thing I have noticed: The fewer dots you play the faster the phrase plays in the given tempo. I've been messing around with keeping them short and copying to the next scene and stringing things together that way. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many scenes there are.

• edited April 2014

@audiblevideo -- no limit on the number of chords or patterns.

• edited April 2014

@audiblevideo -- yup, no limit on the number of chords or patterns.

• @audiblevideo -- yup, no limit on the number of chords or patterns.

also, (with the exception of x/x time signature) the loop for each instrument always rounds up to the next measure. So if you are in 4/4 and your pattern is 5 quarter notes long, it'll be a 2 measure loop. If it's only 3 quarter notes, it'll be a one measure loop.

in x/x time signature, it doesn't sync to measures, so all the loops can phase with each other!

• (yikes, internet issues, sorry!)

• @benkamen Can you add a hide AB panel fix. Thanks.