Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sale: Jam Maestro - $8.99 > $2.99

Welp, the update finally dropped and the sale is in place! Grab it while it's hot!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id596628003

Comments

• edited April 2014

YES! I just checked for that like 5 minutes ago, Jesse must have been on top of that.

Question though - Did he make a universal app, or is it a separate iPad app? I only have my phone with me.

You know what...looks like the sale hit but not the update. 2.0.3 was the November update. Maybe it's still rolling out (which would explain why it wasn't universal yet either!)

• From the app store description:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

All screenshots are for iPhone display. So... no iPad app that I know of

• $2.99
    Category: Music
    Updated: Nov 06, 2013
    Version: 2.0.3

It's not the new version yet, just the sale price. It will be a universal app with iPad support:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4235/ipad-version-of-jam-maestro-submitted-to-apple-for-review-/p1

• Still worries me. I feel like I should wait for the official ipad version

• Ahhh good call, sorry to jump the gun. Well as long as it's just an update for the existing app it should be ok to buy!

• edited April 2014

Update is now live in the U.S. Downloading now!!!

Note: there was a considerable jump in the size of the app to 185MB. Still for an app that does as much as this one, that seems fair. Also a testament to all the work that went into the new version!

Edit: No wonder! I didn't realize he made the former IAP content packs part of the full deal. Thanks @Jam_Maestro!

• Hey Guys!

Yeah I pressed the big red button last night expecting everything to take 10 minutes as it usually does, and instead it took 10 hours. Had to give up waiting in the end and go to bed! Looks like you guys found it ok though :)

• Great app. Love it so far. I'm having trouble recording midi drums to it from DrumStudio right now... it's probably just part of the learning curve. But I hope in the future it supports AudioShare.

• @Coloobar said:

Great app. Love it so far. I'm having trouble recording midi drums to it from DrumStudio right now... it's probably just part of the learning curve. But I hope in the future it supports AudioShare.

It has AudioBus and IAA support - doesn't that allow you to use it with AudioShare? It also exports loops to the pasteboard, so that's at least 3 ways to get it in there!

• @Coloobar just open Drum Studio, choose midi as instrument in JM. Choose DS and tap on load. Basic drum will be loaded. To change kit, tap on setup, and then preset, scroll down for DS kit you want.

• Anyone else finding that sometimes Drum Studio tends to play multiple hits at once when you hit a drum pad? I have found this in the actual app too.

Anyone else experienced any crashes with AudioCopy? I've had at least 2 users email and report its crashing for them at the end of the AudioCopy render process.

• edited April 2014

@mgmg4871 - yeah just got DrumStudio working with JM this morning... looks like a viable way to get the drum midi files into the app without the need for AudioShare. I think there were a few midi settings that were off by default that I needed to turn on to get it working. Turning on "Global Midi Messages", "Enable dedicated midi controller", and "Listen For Global Midi Messages" - one or more of those settings got it working.

I'd like to also add that Jam Maestro has one of the best in-app tutorials I've ever seen in a music app. Bravo for that!

• @Coloobar glad you appreciate it, that tutorial literally took like a month to get right!

How is using DrumStudio a viable way of getting midi files into the app though? Not sure I understand. Also, in order to get DrumStudio working all you should have had to have done is set Midi Notes input to 'Virtual Only' and enabled background audio and it should have worked.

Unless you're trying to do it the the other way around, control Jam Maestro with Drum Studio, in which case you need to enable Midi In on the drum kit you want to control. Global Midi Messages is basically sending normal midi messages too, as well as virtual midi. This is useful for hardware or apps that dont support virtual midi, but Drum Studio definitely does so you shouldnt need it. Enable dedicated midi controller basically means you don't have to enable Midi In for the instrument you want, it will just start controlling what ever instrument you have selected. I suspect maybe you are using this instead of enabling the Midi In switch in the drum kit that you want to control, which you may find preferable as it will still control this drum kit even if you don't have it selected.

• edited April 2014

Thanks, @jesse_ohio

Question: The website video "How to Make a Metal Song in 5 Minutes" is made with the clean app or need IAP's?

Thanks.

BTW, the app looks impressive and at this price it's a steal.

• @fjcblanco that video is made with the clean app, as in all the standard soundpacks that were bundled with v2.0.

As of v3.0 all IAPs are now also bundled in the full version as standard - so its a non-issue as you have access to everything basically.

• edited April 2014

Thanks @JamMaestro.

I'm mainly a frustrated drummer, but this is a superb app. I wish the best luck to you in the future.

• Thanks @fjcblanco. Perhaps you'll find some good use in the custom drum kits then... !

• edited April 2014

Just to clarify; I have a boatload of Groove Monkee midi drum loops to use (general midi files). They are 1 - 2 bars each. Since I can't open them up directly as midi files using "Open in" from Dropbox, and am unable to copy/paste from general pasteboard using AudioShare into the drum tab, I'm using DrumStudio as a workaround. I play the loop in DrumStudio and then record it with virtual midi into Jam Maestro. I just verified the correct settings in Jam Maestro for doing this and it's not as easy as setting Midi Notes input to 'Virtual Only' and enabled background audio. Here's the method I used that works:

1. Start DrumStudio, the drum loop you want, and start playing the loop.
    2. In DrumStudio settings, under Midi, set everything to "Virtual Only", except last box "Play Incoming Midi Notes." Also under "Playback, set Background Audio to "Always".
    3. In JM add instrument: Midi, highlight DrumStudio, set channel to 10, and highlight drums. I believe it will only work set to channel 10, but I haven't tried it with any other channel. DrumStudio outputs midi on channel 10 which is the gm standard for drums.
    4. Go back to JM Options. Under Midi, turn on Background Audio, and turn on "Enable dedicated midi controller", and "Listen For Global Midi Messages". If either of these are off, it won't work. Also under Midi clock, set input and output to DrumStudio.
    5. Back out of that, go into the midi drum instrument you made, and in the tab window you should see it picking up the midi drum signals from DrumStudio. If you don't see numbers flashing in the first beat of the first measure, one of the midi setting is incorrect. Now you're set to record.
  • I'm really enjoying the iPad version of Jam Maestro but I have a few questions. I understand how to duplicate and delete bars but is there any way to copy a bar so I can paste it somewhere else in the section?

I've also been using Thumjam via Midi a lot with Jam Maestro. Is there any way to use more than two instruments from THumjam via Midi with Jam Maestro at a time if that make sense? I've gotten two to work simultaneously (one of the bass instrument samples and one of the electric guitar instrument samples) but what if I wanted to throw in another instrument sample from Thumbjam? I can't seem to wrap my head around the proper workflow.

Thanks for this wonderful app!

• @Paulyboy69 said:

I'm really enjoying the iPad version of Jam Maestro but I have a few questions. I understand how to duplicate and delete bars but is there any way to copy a bar so I can paste it somewhere else in the section?

The copy only works on notes you have manually selected. Double tap on a measure (where there are notes you want to copy) then drag your finger to select what you want to copy (could be a partial or whole measure or across several measures if you want) then hit Copy and select the measure and beat where you want to paste it and hit paste. Triple tapping selects all instruments (drums, bass, guitar) then you would drag to select, copy and paste.

Hope that makes sense!

• @yowza said:

@Paulyboy69 said:

I'm really enjoying the iPad version of Jam Maestro but I have a few questions. I understand how to duplicate and delete bars but is there any way to copy a bar so I can paste it somewhere else in the section?

The copy only works on notes you have manually selected. Double tap on a measure (where there are notes you want to copy) then drag your finger to select what you want to copy (could be a partial or whole measure or across several measures if you want) then hit Copy and select the measure and beat where you want to paste it and hit paste. Triple tapping selects all instruments (drums, bass, guitar) then you would drag to select, copy and paste.

Hope that makes sense!

It does thank you! This will be very useful. :-)

• Is there anyway to change the levels of the drum kits? I love the cymbals in the Metal Pro kit but the snare always gets buried in the mix. It seems like i'm only able to increase the overall kit sound.

• You would have to change the sample to one with a lower velocity.

• edited April 2014

@hwangman said:

Is there anyway to change the levels of the drum kits? I love the cymbals in the Metal Pro kit but the snare always gets buried in the mix. It seems like i'm only able to increase the overall kit sound.

I know what you mean and I want this too. One day it will be a reality, but I want to be able to change panning for individual drums at the same time when I do it. Only way to do it right now is to get the samples out of the app, and lower their volume and then create your own custom drum kit using your new samples. That being said if you do do this and send me the exported custom drum kit and I prefer your gain levels to my own (ie they are more useful on the whole, not just for a certain type of sound) then maybe I'll make your samples the new proper ones.

• @Coloobar ahh now I understand what you are trying to do. Thats pretty clever! I didn't even know you could do that, but now you mention it I can see how it works. A couple of questions:

• Instead of turning on 'enable dedicated midi controller', have you tried going to your drum kit settings in JM and scrollin down and enabling midi in, channel 10, and 'listen for global midi messages' there? That should probably still work, but instead always direct channel 10 messages to that kit (with it on enabled dedicated midi controller it will only do it whilst that drum kit it selected).
    • If you set input AND output to drum studio on the midi clock, doesn't that create some kind of feedback loop? Pretty sure all you'd need is just the input clock to receive from DrumStudio enabled.
  • IMO one of the signs of good program design is making an app that's flexible enough that users can do things that the designer didn't even intend. I'll give the drum kit settings a closer look. I must have missed that. And your most likely right about the midi clock just needing the clock in turned on and not both. Thanks!

• @JamMaestro: Question; When you copy/paste from a midi instrument (drums, for example) to an instrument tab, do the notes get quantized?

Now that I think about it, you could probably use any midi player that supports virtual midi to record parts of a midi file into Jam Maestro, so long as you know what channel the instrument you want to record is on.

• Yeah they get quantized to 16th notes (I programmed in 32nd note recording ability, pretty sure it all works I think too, but I turned it off cause realistically no one was every going to play an iphone instrument to that precision).

Yeah, I've tried it with iSongWriter, basically can generate a song, then replace an instrument for Jam Maestro IAA node, press record in JM, play in iSongWriter and it all works, transcribing the notes to guitar tab. Only problem is cause its IAA you can only do one instrument at a time, where as with midi you could probably do them all simultaneously. Hell you could probably even just pressed record and switch to an app that supports virtual midi and just play it eg a synth or something. As long as you had 'enabled dedicated midi hardware on' that might work too, although thats untested.

• edited April 2014

I had some strange behavior recording a midi melody from Genome to JM. First, it doubled all of the notes in JM, one octave apart. And I had Genome set to 120 with JM slave to the Genome clock, and JM recorded at around 288 BPM. The bars were just whizzing by.

• Sounds to me like JM was receiving midi clock messages from multiple sources. Either that or it was set to send to JM in genome, and set to receive from genome in JM, so it was receiving the messages twice.