Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Extremely irritated.

So I decided to update my iPad Mini Retina from iOS 7 to iOS 7.1 today. I did an iTunes backup beforehand, but apparently the backup did not complete (I don't know how or why). In any case, iTunes installed 7.1 on my iPad after wiping it, but now the backup fails to restore. It has reloaded all my apps, but none of the app data. Meaning all of my projects (finished and in progress) are gone.

Soooo frustrated.

Comments

• Bummer..... :-(

• Do you by any chance have iCloud synching any data from your device? I had thought I lost some projects and presets one time after having to factory reset my iPad, but luck had it that they were in the cloud.

• No, I had iCloud turned on but only for like.... notes and stuff, nothing significant

Actually I MIGHT get lucky and get it back... For some reason all my IPSW restore files were in the Recycle Bin. It looks like the initial restore failed and iTunes just deleted those files automatically... but I recovered them and am trying another iTunes restore now, and it's going fine so far... about 30% finished.

• There are programs out there that can extract files from the iOS backups. The one I tried a while back for PC would only extract 2 files with the free version, and you had to pay for the unlock to retrieve them all. There might be other free programs out there, but if you lost many hours of hard work then it might be worth paying the money to get them back.

• Good to know, thanks for that.

I think the problem was that the initial restoration filled up my hard drive, believe it or not. The backup itself was okay, but for some reason when you do a RESTORE operation, it takes up a ton of extra space on your HDD -- I'm thinking maybe it's uncompressing the backup files on the fly before loading them back to the iPad? In any case the restore was failing when the drive filled up. Now that I've cleared up space the restore is proceeding fine and is almost done... Man I hope this works!

• Fingers crossed!

• Ahhh it worked! It worked! Soooooo glad........... Sorry for the dramatic post everyone! Now take this opportunity to go back your crap up, immediately!! :)

• Whew, close one

• Now that you've recovered everything successfully I can say this without making you want to punch more things; I back up every project I have going that means anything to me on Dropbox almost immediately just in case of a situation just like this. Got burned by Cubasis last year a few times and so instead of breaking my iPad, which sounded like a rational alternative at the time, I took a few seconds a thought it out. Dropbox does what I need it to for the important stuff.

• This thread got better.

• @boone51 wise words man! Immediately after my restore succeeded I linked Cubasis to Dropbox and uploaded everything I have. I guess I always figured it would be a pain to do, but it was so simple and easy... I definitely should have been doing it way earlier... Lesson learned, thankfully not the hard way!

Now... What about loopy? I use it to sketch out a LOT of song ideas before moving them into Cubasis. I couldn't find a way to send an entire loopy Session to Dropbox... It appears to only be able to export individual loops. Am I missing something? :(

• YAY!! heh-heh. Nothing like a good scare to get ya motivated. Backup, backup, backup.

Re iCloud, if you look in Settings>iCloud>Documents and Data you will see a list of apps that can automatically backup files, such as Alchemy, iMS-20, iPolySix, GarageBand, Modular, etc. Sadly many apps don't have this... more (all!) apps should have this feature available, but some is better than none.

I wish more developers would add BOX support, in addition to DropBox.

• @Jesse_ohio, you can grab all the loopy stuff via iTunes or iExplorer/whatevs. I back that and a few other apps up every month or so like that. I just have an iOS music folder with app folders within that get the goods. Then my machine is backed up via time machine.

I used to be really good about having a clone of my backup drive that I'd leave at work but I've grown lax in my old age.

I also have an web hosting account at dreamhost. They offer unlimited storage so I backup my photo library and final mixes there. If you have a website you may have a similar deal. I don't back all of my audio files up there because I'm quite sure 'unlimited' is marketing speak for 'as much as you want so long as you don't act like a dick'. My photo library is already obscenely large!

Also, I gotta get back on that remix! ;)

• Glad you got all of your stuff back! That will definitely make you invest in a large box of Depends :-)

You reminded me to go and back up my Cubasis stuff (used iTunes), which I haven't done in waaay too long. Thanks.

• @syrupcore said:

@Jesse_ohio, you can grab all the loopy stuff via iTunes or iExplorer/whatevs. I back that and a few other apps up every month or so like that. I just have an iOS music folder with app folders within that get the goods. Then my machine is backed up via time machine.

I go out of my way not to let my iPad touch iTunes, because whenever I do things like this happen...lol. I'll have to make a feature request over on the loopy boards about session exporting to Dropbox...

I used to be really good about having a clone of my backup drive that I'd leave at work but I've grown lax in my old age.

I also have an web hosting account at dreamhost. They offer unlimited storage so I backup my photo library and final mixes there. If you have a website you may have a similar deal. I don't back all of my audio files up there because I'm quite sure 'unlimited' is marketing speak for 'as much as you want so long as you don't act like a dick'. My photo library is already obscenely large!

Yep, I did that for a long time myself, although now I just use Dropbox for anything I want redundant backups of (I've got 50GB of storage in my Dropbox). I also sync my Dropbox to multiple clients (desktop, 2 laptops, and a VM), and copy REALLY important stuff to a home NAS and/or external hard drives. I also have a ton of unused space on Google Drive, Skydrive/OneDrive and Box.

All things considered I'm pretty good about data backup but for some reason I've just been really lax when it comes to my iPad, which is dumb because it's probably the most likely device to be stolen or broken.

Also, I gotta get back on that remix! ;)

Haha I figured that ship had sailed. I'm just happy to have what you did already. But if you ever get around to it bring it on... One of us can share it on soundcloud :)

• Get iFunbox: http://www.i-funbox.com

Use the iFunbox Classic program to interact with the files contained within the apps on your iPad. This makes backing up your projects and other files very easy.

I also use Dropbox for backing stuff up, in addition to backing up files onto an external hard drive.

• When I say I used iTunes, what I mean is that I manually copy the files from the app, in this case Cubasis, to a folder on my hard drive. Then I try to do this on a semi-regular basis. Until this thread, I had completely spaced out on doing this for Cubasis for a long, long time...

I know it's paranoia, but I don't like dumping all of my uncopyrighted work onto online servers/services like Dropbox...

• @PHᐃNTᐃSM said:

Get iFunbox: http://www.i-funbox.com

Use the iFunbox Classic program to interact with the files contained within the apps on your iPad. This makes backing up your projects and other files very easy.

What he said.Just copy the"documents"folder from every app that you want to backup.

• @Crabman, for Cubasis, it seems that I can do the same kind of backup through iTunes? I know the file navigation/access is much deeper for other apps via iFunbox.

What I'd really like is an app has the ability to sync backups from iPad to desktop for multiple apps. Can iFunbox Classic do this? (I'm using a Macbook...) Any other desktop apps that can do this? For example, every so many days, a reminder or auto sync backs up app folders for, say, Beatmaker 2 and Cubasis when I connect my iPad to my Macbook...

• I also lost some of my important content after the updata., but I successfully get my things bad on RecoveryAndroid This awesome program can restore data with or even without backups. You can try this to find you app data back by iPhone Data Recovery. Don't be frustrated!

• Been here and lost everything before. It sucks.

It did however change my way of thinking. Before I would make lots of presets and other musical 'bits'. Now I just make them at the time I need them, or download samples as needed. Saves me storage space and the frustration of a loss (which imo is part of running lots of apps on iOS).

It may cut the flow somewhat, but I used to have so many options scattered around, I could never find what I needed quickly at the time anyway.

I really would not trust iOS backup systems if money was riding on my music making :p

• I beat this by creating worthless content . Update overwritten all my files ? Cool , more space to fill with music of no value lol

• Zombie thread resurrected by spammer alert.

• edited June 2016

Happy spammer resurrected zombie, however. I just had a major meltdown (losing some stuff) and learned a few things about backing up from this thread. Need to figure out what gets backed up in iCloud!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Happy spammer resurrected zombie, however. I just had a major meltdown (losing some stuff) and learned a few things about backing up from this thread. Need to figure out what gets backed up in iCloud!

best thing is backup everything via ifunbox and have multiple copies. never trust the cloud man. specially not as the only backup.

• Rule #1 - Cardio
    Rule #2 - Double Tap

"shoots and runs"

• @michaelfield2001 said:
    I also lost some of my important content after the updata., but I successfully get my things bad on RecoveryAndroid This awesome program can restore data with or even without backups. You can try this to find you app data back by iPhone Data Recovery. Don't be frustrated!

You can have a look at this post https://recovery-android.com/recover-lost-data-from-ipad-mini.html
    Hope it helps