Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jam Maestro Video

Awesome.

Comments

• Thanks Morris :)

• Wow, pretty sweet. As someone who records mostly live guitar into my iPad, I wasn't really sold on the concept of another MIDI based guitar app. But I'm starting to see the value of it...

I could use this to tab out my existing song ideas and then quickly record and experiment with them into a DAW to get the skeletons of my songs structured. Then I can go back and record live guitar parts over that base. That would help, since sometimes I struggle putting a whole song down quickly over a blank DAW canvas with a live guitar.

Looking forward to it!

• edited April 2014

GREAT demo! Videos like this are such a great sales tool not only because you can hear the results, but because they suggest and demonstrate different ways to use the app than might be obvious from a brief written description.

As a guitar player, these are the best sounding "app-generated" guitars sounds I've heard (although apps like ThumbJam and Guitarism are also pretty good).

I'm more excited about the music theory and songwriting implications of the app, but even if you prefer to record your own guitar playing - think if you were away from your guitars for a few days/weeks. Or if you just wanted to try a few guitar parts out in the background of a larger project, without dropping everything to hook up an instrument. Not only could you have a great sounding "test" or "placeholder" track, but you could capture an idea in tablature, which then becomes your instruction manual on how to recreate that exact part.

Kudos again to Jam Maestro, and can't wait for the update to go live!

(Note: I love that @jesse_ohio had almost the same exact excited reaction on how to use this as a tool for a guitar player as I was writing my post!)

• Well said! :) :)

• I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist, so I envision my self recording my riffs live through BIAS/JamUp into Cubasis. I can imagine solos, but damned if I can't play them. So this will totally help me tab out solos and get some sweet sounds. Very excited.

• edited April 2014

@Seangarland said:

I can imagine solos, but damned if I can't play them. So this will totally help me tab >out solos and get some sweet sounds. Very excited.

This exactly. You don't have be a musical genius to find a cool sequence of notes that pairs well with a rhythm part, but "inventing" that on a fretboard when your muscle memory for different scales (aside from boilerplate pentatonic, in my case) just isn't there is a different thing altogether.

I love how the top of the scales screen has the name and scale posted and then the notes corresponding to each step (I, II, III, IV, V...). It's really time I break through the wall of learning proper theory.

• Man, it sounds like we are all totally birds of a feather. Let's start a really average rock band!! :D

• ...and name it after a vintage Who song...?

• edited April 2014

I've beta tested the upcoming update and I can tell from experience that Jam Maestro has developed into an amazing app. If you're a guitarist who's most comfortable when composing with a fretboard in mind, Jam Maestro is extremely powerful. I'm very impressed myself and I think you will be too once the update is available!

• I'm no guitarist, but have learned so much about guitar music music theory, reading and creating tab, using Jam Maestro.

• Righteous!

• I was a beta tester, but I didn't have the time that I hoped I'd have to really dive into this. Still, from what I did see, the dev has done a fantastic job with the update, and the theory part blended with it being a serious composition tool is what I enjoy most about the app.

• @jesse_ohio said:

Man, it sounds like we are all totally birds of a feather. Let's start a really average rock band!! :D

Lol

• Very very nice. Very very very very nice.

• I'm no guitarist but even the current app has me doing the air guitar thing all over the place, can't wait for the update.

• @jesse_ohio & @stormJH1 You both posted saying the same thing at that same exact minute! haha. But yeah, JM was never built to replace a guitar, especially not in recording. It was built as a compositional tool so you can more easily see the structure of harmonies between multiple instruments and visualise the theory behind key changes. Anything you then compose can be transferred to real life as its written in guitar tab, so like Storm says, becomes an instruction manual on how to play it that all guitar players understand. You can then bring it to life in real life however you want, once you have the instruction manual thats the hardest part over (unless you've written something insane).

Turns out non-guitar players can use it just fine and have done to use guitars in their songs, but that was never the original intention at least :)

• @SecretBaseDesign an honour coming from you Patrick! Many thanks.

• I'm actually happy to hear @JamMaestro say that he didn't really intend it to be a guitar "instrument" the way people try to dial in guitar sounds on a synthesizer (usually with tragic results). That puts the app into better context for me. At the same time, he is being a little modest b/c if you can make sounds as decent as the ones in the video above with a fake app-generated guitar sound, that's a huge weapon for people who don't play the guitar, or don't play it enough to go buy a $100 Apogee JAM (interface) or something.

But as a placeholder to experiment and say "hmm, I wonder what a distorted guitar power chord would sound like here instead of a trance chord on a synth...", it more than excels at that goal!