Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus Battle One

Alright, let's try this. Here are some standard rules that will never change, below them you can find the challenges specific to our first battle.

All entries require using Audiobus.

iOS instruments/DAWS/devices only, nothing external (no guitars, controllers, French horns, egg shakers, etc) unless stated otherwise

Regardless of if they entered a submission, all forum members are allowed one vote. Any forum member is allowed to submit.

All entry's must be uploaded to SoundCloud via iOS app and linked to the AB forum. One entry per member.

Three weeks to enter, one week to vote.

BATTLE ONE RULES

You must use the Figure app bass preset, "Unstable". This can be routed and manipulated in any way, or sampled into another app, but must be used. All other apps are allowed, only Figure is "required".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/figure/id511269223?mt=8

You must sample Doug's (@thesoundtestrooms) voice. This can be done by ripping the audio off the video in an app, recording his voice off your TV onto your devices mic, visiting with Doug and taping your conversation... Any way you need to make it happen to get the audio.

Entires must be at least one minute in length and you may not use more than four tracks in your DAW of choice. Bouncing and overdubbing is fine, but you should never have waveforms across five or more lanes. Use your machine like an old Tascam 4 track.

Participants should be judged by making the best use of these rules. There is no right or wrong, just judgement from your peers on if you followed the guidelines. I'm going to give just over three weeks, so submissions are due Friday, May 2nd by 11:59pm US West Coast. I'll then make a voting thread with everyone's submissions and people can listen to it on a device that doesn't crash safari. There will be no polling, to vote, you must just reply to the thread and say, "I vote @JoeSchmoe". I will then count up and add the votes, and winner will pick new rules. I will also save my vote in case of tie.

There will be some birthing pains here, but I think we just need to make some rules and go. So... GO!

Comments

• Nice! Looks like a good challenge to start with. Will give it a go!

• Entires must be at least one minute in length and you may not use more than four tracks in your DAW of choice. Bouncing and overdubbing is fine, but you should never have waveforms across five or more lanes. Use your machine like an old Tascam 4 track.

Love it.

• So there's no limit to how many people can enter?

I think it would speed up the process if we limited the entries. Not sure if u read my post in the other thread u started but a lot of us don't have time to go through 30 plus song over and over trying to figure which one is best and meets the criteria.

• For the first battle, I don't think we should create this restriction. Your concern is a good one, but for now I think we should extend the voting week if number of tracks becomes a problem. I can't imagine this getting an unmanageable amount of participants though.

The other thing to try in the future would be a shorter time frame for track creation. I have a feeling it will work itself out without resorting to limits this time around.

• That's cool I just want to help!

And maybe win? Haha

• Thanks @nic_b_nice! This first battle will be carefree if a little rough around the edges. We will all win by simply playing the game!

• Best way to get audio off a Youtube vid, anyone?

• Yearh, any apps that sample from youtube?

• edited April 2014

@Michael_R_Grant and @yaknepper Not sure about apps on the AppStore, but I can tell you how from a jailbroken iPad.

• This old thread has some good ideas of apps you can use to assist (near the bottom). Also remember, any means necessary to get Doug's voice is fine including using external gear like mics or an interface to record into your device.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/380/audioshare-2-3-update/p1

• edited April 2014

So, the first "battle" requires illicit sampling? And encourages us to steal our samples by any means available?

• Winky face didn't go through.

• @CSwinn, thanks, the goodreader tip from @haunted works great!

• Great idea this battle, so where do we post the submissions ?

• Right here in this thread. Once all the submissions are posted I'll make a separate voting thread with all of them grouped up top for easy listening.

I don't know if there's a way to NOT embed soundcloud links but if there is it might be best for now.

• edited April 2014

Ok then, let's start the ball :
    what we're gonna Doug ?

Links work with the inline links, ie:

"To create an inline link, use a set of regular parentheses immediately after the link text’s closing square bracket. Inside the parentheses, put the URL where you want the link to point, along with an optional title for the link, surrounded in quotes"

• @mtyas said:

Ok then, let's start the ball :
    what we're gonna Doug ?

>

I like the way u didn't hide the "ingredients".

I like it, played it twice and will give another go when all these kids are gone!

• Cool track, light hearted and playful, interesting sounds and composition as well

• Nice @mtyas, way to get this going! I see you found the group I started on soundcloud too. For everyone else, there is a group called Audiobus Battle 1, if you search the term on SC it should be the first thing that comes up and you can link your track there.

• I've just tried the free version of Anytune btw and ripping audio from YouTube works like a charm. I thought I had read it was only a paid feature, but I guess not.

• Thanks to CSwinn for putting up with my newbness!

My track is entered!

Please give any thoughts or criticism as I need to learn more. U can tell me straight up it sucks if u like haha but I hope that's not the case

• Great stuff @nic_b_nice, I really dig the Doug! Can't wait to hear others, hope there's more than a few of you out there working on something!

• Oh man this is awesome, can't wait to make something up!

• My first house track! Haha, enjoy everyone, hope I get a vote ;)

As far as the rules, I recorded everything in GarageBand. Two tracks of Samplr performances, one DM1 track, and one track from Figure processed thru Filatron.

• Just wanted to give this a bump. About nine days left, hope to see a few more!

• Pretty cool entries gies, question about the rule to use his words, do we have thesoundtestroom's permission to use his voice, not speaking legalities but rather formalities.

• I've PM'd @thesoundtestroom, not sure often they are checking messages though.

• edited April 2014

Here is a track I made last night. As the host/tiebreaker this round, its not eligible for voting. I used Audiobus, Werkbench, DM-1, Boom808, Figure, Audioshare, and Auria. I treated this mostly as a chance to play with my new Fabfilter plugins. I had mined some golden Doug nuggets that I didn't use, I might make another track if I have time this week.

As a reminder for any more entries, please upload your track to THIS GROUP. Cant wait to hear a few more (hopefully)!

• Damn colin that was frickin sweeet! Love the was u used Unstable. And yes i can hear u having fun with ur new filters! Im jealous haha

• :) just open up your wallet and let the love in!