Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 2 headaches

I updated Beatmaker this morning (iPhone 5 w/ latest iOS), and I'm having problems, even when following Intua's tutorial HERE: https://intua.zendesk.com/entries/23177863-HOWTO-Audiobus-tutorial .
I start up AB, then add input (tried Figure & Sunrizer), then add BM2, then launch input app (no problem), then output. Each time BM2 is opened, it defaults to the "New Track / Load Last / Load Saved" screen, effectively forcing that choice. Then, I make sure the track w/ the input name (Sunrizer, etc.) is armed & monitored, then when I go back to the input app, I cannot hear any input, and the BM buttons on the AB tab refuse to arm / record / play/ etc.

Any insights?

Comments

• As soon as i put something in the FX-slot BeatMaker drops the AudioBus-input.
    Can not manually activate AudioBus as input.
    As soon as i remove the FX-app from AudioBus BeatMaker reconnects.

Tested with Magellan and AniMoog in the input-slot.
    JamUp Pro, StompBox, Remaster, Nlog PRO and Echo Pad in the FX-slot.

Everything is working fine with Auria, AudioShare or the AudioBus-speaker in the output-slot.

Tested on iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1. and iPad 4, iOS 6.0.1

• I just did the same set up on mine and it worked perfectly. On beatmaker, when you hit the home icon and the audio sampler comes up, click on the sampler, It should show that figure and sunriser are in the input bus. Make sure the monitor and arm recording buttons below are armed.

• I was going to put in a screen shot, but can't seem to find out where to do it.

• Actually I have an iPad so maybe that's why mine worked.

• I found that the update did not work properly until I deleted the app and did a full reinstall.

• Actually, you have to make sure "Background Audio" is enabled for BM. (not in the BM options, but the iOS options for BM).

That solved my problem.

• Ahh, that's right. Forgot about that. I must have already had mine enabled.

• edited February 2013

@sealpt For a screenshot press Home button and Power button simultaneously.

• I did that but in the Audiobus forum I don't see how to add an image. The Unflattered problem is solved anyway.

• @sealpt You would need space on a host server to which to upload your image, then link to it from the forum.

• @The_Unflattered Given the original poster's problem, the solution isn't particularly Intua-tive...

:)

• Ahh I see Paul. Thank you for the info. "Intua-tive".... LOL

• Yes, it is the background audio being "on" that is the issue. I guess when I reinstalled the app it was set to "on" by default.

• Hey guys,

Mathieu from INTUA here, I've updated the tutorial to cover the background mode option. Follow the link: https://intua.zendesk.com/entries/23177863-HOWTO-Audiobus-tutorial.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers.

• Great App Matt!

• I think this was long over due but ill say this, beatmaker and audiobus have changed the mobile production game. Now all other synth and beat apps are vst plugins now!! All that's left to put beatmaker 2 over the top is to make a desktop version so we can archive our beats and clear space on the ipads and to preview those beats at a later date and export what we need to move on to our desktop daw apps. Here is a track I made this morning to test out audiobus with beatmaker. I used Magellan jr and sound prism pro: http://snd.sc/XkWRtT

• edited February 2013
  • @ SpaceDog, I just tried your set up as well on my Ipad OS 6.1 (or whatever the latest version is). I ran into the same problem. Have you posted this problem on the Intua forum?

• Ahh, never mind, sorry, didn't notice your link.

• @sealpt thanks for your post. Hope they´ll fix it soon.

• Yeah, me too. In the meantime we have a great app joining the bus. So many things just got easier.

• I have the same problem too. Whenever I add apps to the effects slot on Audiobus BM2 loses connectivity with Audiobus altogether. What a bummer. I have this issue with both Magellan and JamUp XT.

• Funny how this "iOS audio system bug" doesn't seem to affect any other app.

• @PaulB a fair point, but still doesn't condemn Intua. I still have testing to do with it, but what little chance I got to play around with BM2 this morning seemed to work perfectly.

• I think this was long over due but ill say this, beatmaker and audiobus have changed the mobile production game. Now all other synth and beat apps are vst plugins now!! All that's left to put beatmaker 2 over the top is to make a desktop version so we can archive our beats and clear space on the ipads and to preview those beats at a later date and export what we need to move on to our desktop daw apps. Here is a track I made this morning to test out audiobus with beatmaker. I used Magellan jr and sound prism pro:

• edited February 2013

Hi,

Any app using the audio inputs (ie: microphone) at the same time as BeatMaker 2 will >sometime trigger an internal iOS audio system bug, where inputs become unavailable. This is a known bug and we'll need to wait until Apple fixes it. Michael from Audiobus >as already submitted this bug report, but nothing new so far from Apple.

I'll take a look at this issue again and display a message when the iOS audio system is >not working as expected. You can try launching BM2 before Audiobus and the filter >app, and also reboot your iPad.

Stay tuned, Mathieu.

@uglykidmoe Not condemning Intua so much as getting irritated at the way they often seem to blame other companies for problems. It was the same with the delay in supporting Audiobus. Their statement basically said that there was a problem with Audiobus not working properly, they had very cleverly tracked down what it was and the delay was now due to the Audiobus team trying to fix it. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of other apps were happily working just fine with Audiobus. All this latest statement says to me is that there's a problem in the way they are using the iOS audio system and they'd rather wait for Apple to change something than change their approach to circumvent the problem like everyone else. I can tell you now, I won't be upgrading from iOS 5.1.1 for the privilege of buying Beatmaker 2, certainly not just for the drum sounds, which is all that was tempting me, to be honest.

• edited February 2013

I can actually reproduce this bug. I've passed it on to Intua. No idea how this slipped by...
    It's not the same bug as the !cat error which is an iOS bug which appears rarely. This one happens 100% of the time when an effect app is present.

• edited February 2013

@mathieugarcia Thank you Mathieu for your quick work, it's much appreciated.