Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MobMuPlat & PD music app design for non- dev`s

I have had this app for a little while now and I`m nearly ready to give it a go.

I would like to create small audio and midi projects for my personal use and to share with forum members maybe in a special sticky thread called USER APPS or something similar,with Sebastian and Michael`s approval.

Dev s and non- dev s could share ideas and offer advise regarding their projects.
the non- dev s could set challenges for each other to create projects that achieve a specific gaol.
We might even see projects that get developed further by real dev s.

This would be even more relevant if MobMuPlat was on the bus as we could create projects for use on the bus.
I mailed the dev and this was his reply.

Hi

While I might get to it (or to similarly using the iOS 7 inter-app audio units) at some point in the future, I don't have immediate plans for it. Since the project is open source, someone else might be interested in implementing it before I get to it.

Let me know what you make. Best, Dan.

http://www.mobmuplat.com/

So if any dev`s would like to add the Audiobus SDK to MobMuPlat please please do, its for a good cause.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mobmuplat/id597679399?mt=8

Comments

• I was hoping @sebastian or @michael were feeling in a charitable mood with regard to this request, as know one, is more familiar with the Audiobus SDK , but I am willing to accept no reply, as a thanks but no thanks reply and then go and quietly forget about it.

• edited March 2014

I'd suggest @sonosaurus as a good candidate for doing this. He's very good at picking up someone else's code and adding Audiobus.

• It would be pretty simple to add it, but my schedule won't allow me to do it anytime soon!

• edited March 2014

@sonosaurus Understandable. Particularly as it isn't a paid gig. Is there any way interested parties could sponsor you to do it if you did get room in your schedule at some point?

• I sent almost the same email and got pretty much the same response about 6 weeks ago!

It would be great to see this App get AB support as it would allow very simple PD creations to access all the effects and recording goodness available in iOS.

My dabblings with PD have ground to a halt because, other than for pure midi projects, I can't easily integrate it with anything else on my iOS devices.

Hopefully sometime in the future this will come to pass.

• Thanks @paulB and @sonosaurus for giving this some thought. @paulbB I like where you are going with, sponsored development. @sonosaurus even though you are a very busy man have a think about it I would definetly contribute.

• Just to clarify, I'm thinking that @sonosaurus would quote his fee for doing the work and those of us who want to see it happen would pledge what we can afford, recruiting others to do the same until the quoted amount was reached or exceeded by the total pledges. We'd then pay the money and sonosaurus could get on with the work. Payment up front.

• Kind of a BusStart, or KickTheBus style campaign?

• edited March 2014

Well @PaulB thanks for your support and @sonosaurus thank you again for considering our proposition and thanks to everyone else who might be interested in seeing MobMuPlat get on the bus.

I've mailed Dan the developer again with our sponsored development idea and his reply has left me humbled, even though he has said no promises though !

Since it looks like there's a few of you on the forum interested in it, I'll look into adding audio bus next. Give me a little while to investigate and I'll let you know when I think I can add it by. If you guys want to donate, that's certainly appreciated, but not required.

Best, Dan

I definetly will be donating.

• Dan the Dev, eh? :)

• edited April 2014

Well it's finally arrived, me and Skipp have been beta testing this free app and it works in all three slots.
    This is like Audulus on steroids.

• edited April 2014

I think AB devs adopted the 'thanks, but no thanks' approach. Not entirely unsurprisingly.

edit: so, is it actually coming out?

• edited April 2014

Interestingly I can't see it in my updates but that might be because I have the beta?

The beta certainly appeared to work flawlessly both as an input and an effect on AB. As this is a free App many thanks have to go to Dan Iglesia, the Dev, for putting the work in to add AB at our request.

Programing in PD is so flexible and there are so many modules for RJDJ already on the net that this does open up some interesting possibilities for anyone who wants to make their own stuff.

Using audio pass through on iConnect midi will give some interesting options for using PD creations with your DAW and incorporating Lemur as a control surface should open up some others on the iPad. Even simple PD objects on your phone combined with AB effects should be fun.

Now just need to put the work in to create some stuff to work with....

• Probably not, but any sign of an editor for Windows?

• There's an editor for Windows on the MobMuPlat.com website. How well it works I can't say but PD is effectively multi-platform.

• Could this be used to make a simple, accurate accelerometer -based MIDI controller? I couldn't tell from the website if it does MIDI out...

• Hi all, Dan the Dev here. Glad people are interested in it. Thanks to Skipp and Multitouch for testing.

Skipp: I'm not sure why App Store might have any conflicts with the TestFlight Beta you have. The new release has a few other minor additions as well. Worst case scenario you may have to remove the app and reinstall from App Store.

Fitz: As Skipp said, there is a multi-platform editor for MobMuPlat available in the development materials .zip files. Honestly, the OSX version is my main focus (because its code is closest to the code on the iOS app), and the multiplatform version of the editor (in Java) is always playing catch up to that, and is missing some features (like undo/redo), and probably has some bugs I haven't found.

In all cases, both the app and the editors, please contact me if you have any issues with it!

• Hey Dan,

Any chance we can get an Audiobus update for Spacelab? Pretty please with a cherry on top????

• @Hmtx there is a preset called Motion that uses the accelerometer. MobMuPlat supports core midi and PD has midi capability but the individual preset also has to have these implimented. I suspect therefore that a quick hack to send the accelerometer to midi should be quite easy? I haven't however tried this myself yet so I can't promise anything.

@danl I was able do download the updated from the link above so no worries. As I said above many thanks in putting this together, much appreciated! If you ever need a beta tester for multiple outputs in AB I'd be happy to oblige :)

• @protomike: good timing, I just submitted the AudioBus update for SpaceLab last night to the App Store, so keep your eyes peeled in a few days.

• @Htmx to build on what @Skipp said: yes, it should be fairly simple to (within the PD patch you make)"
    1) receive tilt (or gyro, etc) values into the patch from [r fromSystem]; see the "Motion" example.
    2) unpack the list of values and do any needed arithmetic to map them to midi ranges and controller numbers
    3) send those numbers to a [ctlout] object.

Then in the mobmuplat app, go to (Audio/MIDI) settings screen and select the proper midi output.

• Thanks @Skipp and @danl, will check it out. Was going to collaborate with Mac users but that would be great. I'm working on a project for children with complex needs and am using the ipad as main instrument. So if anyone comes up with patches that use the ipad in different ways would be good if there is a way to share.

• @danI said:

to build on what @Skipp said: yes, it should be fairly simple to (within the PD patch you make)" or gyro, etc) values into the patch from [r fromSystem]; see the "Motion" example. 2) unpack the list of values and do any needed arithmetic to map them to midi ranges and controller numbers 3) send those numbers to a [ctlout] object.

wow, great!

• @danI said:

good timing, I just submitted the AudioBus update for SpaceLab last night to the App Store, so keep your eyes peeled in a few days.

That is good news. Thanks

• @danI said:

@protomike: good timing, I just submitted the AudioBus update for SpaceLab last night to the App Store, so keep your eyes peeled in a few days.

Awesome! I'm sure you don't remember me, but I kept emailing you about it last year around this time. Can't wait for the update!

• I'm completely lost w/this thing. I love the idea of it but i have no idea how to do anything in it. I walked through the PD tutorials but i can't even generate a sample tone. Hopefully someone does some walkthrough videos because this seems like a fantastic app.

• There are a set of video lectures by miller puckette on the pure data website somewhere. I think in the tutorial section.

• Yes, PureData has a major learning curve (especially Pd-vanilla, which has fewer objects than -extended):
    http://www.schoox.com/4734/pure-data-tutorials-by-rafael-hernandez
    http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials

• Here is a little midi test. Passes all midi input (well, CC's, PC's, Notes, bends, touch, and polytouch.

I used the Windows version. On the MobMuPlat GUI editor side, it was fairly easy. Of course I didn't exactly go crazy with the GUI. The PD editor is a little more work. I had to install a driver (on Win7) for my (class complient) M-Audio MidiSport to function with the PD wrapper so I could test the app on the PC. You could of course just create it and transfer it to you iDevice, but it would be a bit difficult to troubleshoot, as I spent a good number of hours trying to figure out what all the inputs and outputs on a few of the PD objects are. Still have a long way to go on that.

I used NTBYF keyboard for input and ThumbJam for output once I got it on my iPhone. Tried it on iPhone 5C (7.1.1) and Ipad 3 (6.1.3). If it doesn't work after you have configured your Midi on all 3 apps, toggle the "Dual Tone" button on it few times. I may need to look into initializing it some how.

http://forum.audiob.us/uploads/FileUpload/53/159af70198789c2a48b7082ef683bd.7zimageimage