Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Prodigy FM Synth (AB Now Added) Updated

Interesting new toy synth. Very tweakable with 32 preset slots. Unfortunately no record or AB but I have emailed the dev to see what is planned. Advertised as iPhone app but looks good on iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/prodigy/id817912291?mt=8

Only A$0.99

Comments

• edited March 2014

Just heard back from the developer and he is working on AB implementation right now.

• AB added today. This is an interesting little synth that is really worth a look.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/prodigy/id817912291?mt=8

• Anyone found any audio demos from this thing?

• It is a very tweakable synth that can produce a huge range of sounds. BUT you cannot tweak them while you are using the playing surface. A four-finger tap brings up the parameter screen that obscures the controller. As it lacks a hold or sustain feature it is a bit annoying.

• But to answer your question, no I couldn't find any demos anywhere

• edited April 2014

That's a bit of a bummer not being able to hear what ur tweaking. But at 99c I guess I can look past that. How's the preset handling? Is it limited to a certain number of slots, or unlimited presets?

• 32 slots only and you cannot name them unfortunately. I have emailed the dev before and he seems pretty responsive to ideas so maybe updates are coming. If you like things like Dr OM or BeepBoop you'd probably be happy with this as it has lots of fine tuning per function shown numerically on a grid.

• Thanks. Yep DROM (and noisemusick) are fun. Can't say I've gotten anything done with em, but definitely fun to mess around with. Anyway, it's only a buck so not much to lose I guess!

• edited April 2014

Sounded better then expected. On iPhone 5 you get 3 octaves w. 3 notes each to play on while the editing interface is on screen. On iPad (and earlier iPhones) it uses the 4:3" resolution, but there's still a few notes available while the edit screen is on top. Not ideal, but better then nothing . 99c well spent IMO!

Btw, 5 fingers to bring down the edit screen would have been preferable IMO. Oh well, maybe it'll grow down the road..

• Aha, only used it on an iPad.

Forgot to say that you can draw waveforms in the edit pages too. It has a lot of potential for very little outlay imo.

I gave the dev a link to this forum when the app was released so maybe he's hovering in the background? Hi Tim if you are out there :)

• edited July 2014

You have a lot of control of the various parameters in this app. Works really well when you filter the output of your playing in Audiobus with various effects from Caramel, Turnado, Bias, AltiSpace, etc. The complex wave forms and harmonies you can produce playing three note chords combine very effectively with the effects apps.

There is not much documentation but even looking at the pictures of the app on the developer's website provides some clues such as the ability to modulate the sound when you press a key and slide your finger up and down in a different column. The app will take up hardly any space on your device.

• Thanks for the tip! Never turning down a free synth that takes less than 2mb of storage space!

The lack of documentation is too bad - AudioBus support but a pretty barebones interface and no MIDI control for the keyboard makes it hard to play. The synthesis editing (if I understood it better) seems pretty well done.