Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone have apps that play thru headphone only?

edited February 2014 in Support and Feedback

I have an iPad 3, iOS 6.1.3 and have noticed that several of my apps will only play through headphones and not through the iPad speaker nor through the 30 pin connector routed to my Griffin Studio Connect/monitors.

I remember a thread concerning allowing an app to use the mic thus making the app available to use the built-in speaker but cannot locate it now. I only remember seeing that option once but cannot remember which app it was or how I chose the option.

I have looked in iOS and the apps in question preferences to find a way to correct this issue but I am hitting pay dirt.

I've contacted the developer of the latest app that causes this issue but he had no one else report the problem. I removed the app, reinstalled, hard reset the iPad but still the same results.

Here is a list of the apps that exhibit the problem:

Addictive Synth
Cube Synth
Piano Notes Pro
Real Guitar
G.U.I.T.A.R. +
Beat Machine
Tachyon
TC-11
Mugician
Ciruit
Crystal Synth
Mutone
SongWriter
ezComposer

There were other free apps I downloaded that had the same problem so I deleted them because they made no sound through the speaker but can't recall which ones.

Any one have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.

Comments

• seems weird, all the apps work here perfectlyconcerning sound. Why don't you try a hard reset (pressing homebutton and startbutton simultaneously and holding them until the appleloge appears)... might help. good luck, cheers animal

• Thanks, @animal but as was mentioned, I had already hard reset the iPad.

Weird indeed.

• With the headphones unplugged, increase the volume using the hardware controls on the side of the ipad. Does it say headphone volume or just volume?

Make sure mute is off.

Can you play any music through the standard ipad music app?

• It doesn't say anything when I increase/decrease the volume with the control. Only a pictogram of a speaker with sound waves and the coinciding ticks following the amount of increase/decrease.

Mute is off as the hundreds of others apps play perfectly with the speaker, 30 pin, or headphones as well as Apple's music app.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your suggestions.

• Try iOS settings, Privacy, Microphone, some app.

Shouldn't make a difference on headphone vs 30pin though.

• I was thinking that there's a hardware switch in the headphone jack where it wouldn't pick up the transition. Since it doesn't say headphone when your adjusting the volume it should be okay. Since the music app plays okay puzzles me even more. Is your dock connector okay?

• @Keebo. I have the iPad 3, iOS 6 and Alesis io dock. I've had a similar experience when recording into loopy.
    The drum, bass and keyboard loops play through the external speaker and headphones but the vocal loops only play through the headphones.
    It's been so long since I recorded that session that I'm not sure which app I used for the vocals. I suspect it was VocaLive.

• There is no iOS settings for the mic on iOS 6.1.3 that I can find and I have looked through them all.

The dock works fine with all the other apps so that is not in question.

I'm guessing that as the apps were updated to comply with iOS 7 some functionality with iOS 6 were lost. Just guessing though. Perhaps it is time to move ahead with iOS 7 though Sebastian has not made it clear enough yet.

• Mic settings are in privacy options. Pretty sure they were there in 6 too.

• No mic settings in privacy options here.

• Ok, was just a chance. Not sure of the options in 6 anymore. Too long ago and poor memory:)

• Might be time to go with iOS7!

• Was hoping to wait for iOS 8 but I guess it may be time to live in the present.

Still, knowing my luck, it will not change the issue at hand.

• Animoog on my iPhone won't play audio through the speakers, but plug in phones and voila!

• I was having this same problem. Music would play through native speakers but all apps needed headphones or external speaker via bluetooth or headphone jack. Come to find out, in my situation at least, the hold switch got turned on. I switched hold off and got my sound back. Good luck.

• I could only get iRing Music to run through the headphone output