Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis Update

Cubasis update with audiobus support has just been uploaded to Apple pending approval. Looks like next week.

Hello,

We just uploaded the update to Apple. It should be online after Apple approves it, hopefully next week.
Best regards,

Carlos Mendoza Rohde - Product Marketing Manager Cubase & Apps
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Comments

• Fingers crossed.

• encenc
    edited January 2013

great news.... gonna hold off buying Auria for sure now.

• Does Cubasis use up as much CPU power as Auria? I'm using an iPad 2 and I am not too impressed by the other DAWs to choose from.

• edited January 2013

To be honest I have not noticed a significant difference. I think using effects is the real CPU drain, but with the addition of freeze effects in Auria you have the benefit of eliminating most CPU load. I did get a yes answer from Steinberg when I asked if they would implement freeze track in future updates. With an updated Audiobus I've noticed Auria works a lot smoother. So I'm thinking when Cubasis is updated with Audibus support (maybe this week) it should run pretty smoothly. Btw I am using a ipad 2 also without any problems.

• Hmmm perhaps I'll just go with Auria then. I wouldn't really be adding effects in the DAW, I just want to lay out song ideas and export them to Ableton to finish. Still a little sketchy on paying $50 for an app that isn't recommended for my device though.

• @haydn, multitrack daw is inexpensive and will run on just about anything.

• Cubasis on the bus finally

• And guess who's on the blurb?

"Cubasis now boasts one of the best implementations of Audiobus known to me."
    Sebastian Dittmann, Audiobus developer

So what I want to know is, was the rest of the quote "pity the rest of it's..." or was that all the copy you gave!

• I'd be more interested in what it is that makes it better than the other Audiobus implementations.

• edited February 2013

Cubasis automatically creates tracks for you when you connect it to Audiobus. It notices that you've had an app connected before in the same session and reconnects it to the same track if it had been disconnected in the mean time.
    Steinberg has implemented all of my suggestions regarding how to integrate Audiobus ... and they did it really fast, considering they had access to the SDK only very recently.

That's what made me say that. I also like the interface of Cubasis as it is optimised for a touch interface. Big buttons, few sub-menues. It's good that a major player like Steinberg seems to take iOS seriously.

EDIT: And I forgot that you can also use Cubasis as an input as well.

• I must say I played with it a bit and it runs smooth on the Bus

• Yep, it's totally usable with an iPad 2, especially with the new version of Audiobus.

• encenc
    edited February 2013

Been a long week waiting for the bus....

• I can't afford it. That's really awesome that they quoted you @Sebastian , that's gotta feel good on the ego. :-)

• It feels a little weird. But I stand by what I've said there. They've done a good job.

• That's very cool that they've listened and gone that little extra distance to make the workflow a little smoother.

• Another DAW gets the AB treatment but Intua still dragging its feet. Maybe we'll just get Beatmaker 3 instead...

• edited February 2013

@Ryan. Don't read this post. WaveMapper input to Cubasis output. Wow. This combination just works.

• Lol, now you're just being cruel.

• I've gotta know. is it easy to loop with this app?

• Great to hear it works well with iPad 2! Definitely buying it.

• Cubasis can loop, but it's not as perfect for that purpose like Loopy HD for example.

• @Sebastian is it as simple as splitting an audio segment in the timeline and dragging that portion over several bars? watching the tutorials and have not noticed any looping options.

• I'm with Sebastian.

Cubasis is way out front and not only in terms of it's implementation of Audiobus but the sheer delight delivered by its user experience. It may not have all the bells and whistles of Auria but on my test iPad 3 the demo song barely uses up 30% of my available CPU (and that's for a 13 track song with compression on every track). The Steinberg team have really thought about exactly what can be delivered in iPad form factor and delivered a great application that also takes into account the limited CPU cycles available on IOS devices.

The only part of Cubasis that frustrates me is its severely limited MIDI spec as providing that stuff is hardly processor intensive but overall this is the benchmark IOS DAW. I'm going to test it thoroughly in the coming days for stuff like the tightness of its MIDI Clock (really important for building up multi track ideas with the more processor intensive apps such as Animoog, the PPG stuff and Magellan). If the clock does turn out to be good it will also enable me to run things like Genome and StepPolyArp in tandem (for when I need more sophisticated midi control) and record the output via Audiobus directly into Cubasis.

This is the most excited I’ve been ref the whole Audiobus project since it first launched. You'd never have thought that came into this being a bit of a sceptic ref Steinbergs motives! :)

jm

http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

• edited February 2013

I think @hypoetical is asking about non-realtime looping of a bit of audio. Like in Logic Pro where you set the clip to 'loop' and then drag it out over 40 measures. As opposed to other iOS DAWs where getting a part to 'loop' requires you to copy and paste over and over again.

I'd be interested to know the answer to that as well!

EDIT: he beat me to it. :)

• edited February 2013

@syrupcore if it helps any, here's a link to the manual.

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubasis/Cubasis.pdf

what i'm getting is that there isn't a feature that does what we want. however, there is a glue option which might be a workaround. i'm thinking trim the piece of audio to the desired bar/measure amount, and duplicate it across the timeline. then select all and glue.

hardly as simple as setting a clip to "loop" but might be good enough.

• @hypoetical

I'm pretty certain that Steinberg will end up implementing a clip loop function. But copy/paste/glue isn't such a bad workflow in the short term. Incidentally there's no clip loop function in Auria either. And in reality it's only the popularity of Ableton Live that made the major DAW manufacturers implement loop based workflows in the first place.

• I have a funny feeling Meteor does it. Don't quote me on that though.

• Does Cubasis (or any iOS DAW) allow tempo or time signature changes inside a song?
    I read in another thread here that Meteor allows you to pick timeline based positioning but to me the (almost fatal) flaw of all iOS DAWS is lack of full control of time sig and tempo changes.
    Is this too much to ask of iOS?