Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB2

edited December 2013 in Feature Wishlists

Will you be able to select GarageBand as an Input?

Comments

• The update looks incredible...really well done, Sebastien and Michael!

• Yeah this does look most excellent....will need an Air to get the most out of this though...this should satisfy most people...superb

• Very very nice. Going to have to get new ipad I suppose. It's a deal clincher really. Apple should be thanking you guys for this.

• thinds said:

Very very nice. Going to have to get new ipad I suppose. It's a deal clincher really. Apple should be thanking you guys for this.

I'd really like to know how many iPads we sold for Apple :D

• edited December 2013

Good thing I recently upgraded to the Air. Unfortunately, apps are going to keep getting more powerful and memory and cpu hungry. Hopefully, I can get two years out of the AIR before I start getting jealous of the newest models and have to hurt a credit card and upgrade again. This reminds me of the old x286, x386, x486 days on the windows pc platforms.

• edited December 2013

Mmmm...I wonder if I can still use it as the usual way. I mean, if just launching AB2 will consumme more resources than the actual version. Maybe it's an obvious question, because the answer must be "yes", but...

For the rest, all I have see is more than impressive.

• @cheesesteak said:

Hopefully, I can get two years out of the AIR before I start getting jealous of the newest models and have to hurt a credit card and upgrade again.

Could you not use the older machine to add a layer of sound using WIST? I don't know, but I assume others do this? Hoping to get my new Air early in the new year and wondered if this was a possibility.

• Well I went from a 1 to a 4 because of you guys! I'll be happy to test AB2 for you guys. Yet to pick up an air though...

@Sebastian said:

thinds said:

Very very nice. Going to have to get new ipad I suppose. It's a deal clincher really. Apple should be thanking you guys for this.

I'd really like to know how many iPads we sold for Apple :D

• edited December 2013

So... @Sebastian. I saw it mentioned and saw some questions regarding iPad 2s but don't believe I ever saw an answer. Pardon me if I missed it.

I understand we would want the quickest iPad possible but will AB2 run on an iPad 2? Could you provide a detail or two regarding this?

• @wayni said:

I understand we would want the quickest iPad possible but will AB2 run on an iPad 2? Could you provide a detail or two regarding this?

AB2'll run on an iPad 2 - you'll be able to use it just like AB1 if you wish, with one pipeline only. We're not making anything less efficient, but we're allowing you to do more at once (which you may need stronger hardware for)

• (how's my @Sebastian impression?) ;-)

• @Michael - very well done! I never noticed you have the left side AB logo as your avatar and @Sebastian has the right sided of it...idk if it was intentional but it's neat

• Totally intentional!

• Very sexy ui...hints of aufx and echopad and someone that just smoked a fat number.:)

And 2 fingers up to apple for how not to steal an idea just to balls it up with a lacklustre effort.

• I love how the color of the apps you select bleed through into the background...pure genius UI design

• Another feature that hasn't been mentioned is Inter-app audio integration. If AB could receive and send IAA, it can be a bridge between IAA apps and AB apps. This means that the app developers that have already implemented AB don't need to implement IAA. It's a win for everyone IMO

• +1 @checkrath IAA hasn't been mentioned at all.
    Would the AB team mind sharing their views on IAA?
    Do they see Audiobus integrating IAA in the near future?

• In a sense its already intergrated. Other than Garageband, I can use IAA from within AB, and that includes instrument apps that don't have AB, but IAA only.

• But the other way arround is much more interesting of course...using AB apps in IAA slots.

• I have an ipad air if you need some test subjects. My ipad 2 got ran over. You would think an otterbox would have protected it.

• Perhaps it isn't possible, but would be cool to be able to kill apps from audiobus!

• @Iamsaitam said:

Perhaps it isn't possible, but would be cool to be able to kill apps from audiobus!

That. Not a huge issue, but would def be a time saver and make the workflow just that much more efficient.

• Killing apps isn't possible. But we can urge developers to make sure their apps save power once they're disconnected from the Audiobus graph. And we're doing that.

• Well @Sebastian, an app can kill itself, so if the AB sdk decided to add a death feature implemented similar to the launch URL handling switchback, I believe it could.

Eg, instead of waking/switching the app to make a connection, it causes it to kill itself instead after a brief delay, before which it switches back to Audiobus. If the app is already awake, the switch wouldn't be necessary, as the SDK could do the inter process communication directly.

Probably best not to advertise the behavior to Apple, though :)

• edited December 2013

I'm trying to convey to our users what apps can and cannot do to other apps by default. Everything beyond that is a long process of diplomacy between developers and really just a convention of how apps should behave. So even with a theoretical kill switch in the SDK, developers of third party apps would first have to decide to implement it.

Same goes with buffer size, sample rate and resolution etc...
    Some users still think Audiobus can force certain behaviors when in fact it's just every third party developer agreeing with us about what technical convention is good enough to be adhered to.

• I can't wait to get away from IAA! Apps don't quit but live on invisibly playing havoc with my brain. Has the bit rate question for AB2 been asked and answered? Looking forward to whatever you've cooked up!

• Has the bit rate question for AB2 been asked and answered?

We're having a look at it but I'm not promising anything yet.

• Not a great deal of difference between urging devs to implement a self destruct when asked and urging them to implement a power save mode. It's still just urging...