Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 2 is launching on Thursday, April 3rd 2014

Comments

• +1 for what jtpelton said. I was so excited the first time I saw this that I overlooked the clock stuff. I do hope that's part of the upgrade. The clock sync is still a hit or miss type of thing.

• Exciting stuff.
    But +1 at a working clock sync. It's terrible today.

• I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in numerous other threads that AB is not going to do MIDI or clock sync. It is named "Audio"bus after all.

Maybe something has changed for AB 2?

• This looks so amazing! The Loopy/Samplr type apps are going to be way more fun being able to run additional individual effects to each track.

Love the new look too! +1 for clock sync!

• I'm pooping. It's a total mess. Looks amazing fellas!

Two think-it's-safe-to-answer questions:

1: can I save a big bus route preset that has 12 Loopy outputs in the input slots?

2: can the same output app be in multiple output slots?

1+2, use case translated: can I record 12 loopy tracks directly into say Auria with AB2? Possibly passing certain tracks through effects apps? Saved as a preset?

• Ok, 3, sorry: can we browse shared bus routes within the app? Or via web browser with "open in"?

• edited December 2013

I've seen a lot of "Stay tuned" responses about midi clock questions, but I haven't ever seen a response that suggested this wouldn't be handled by AB. I'm not saying that this hasn't been said, but I definitely missed it if it was. Not that the update won't be awesome regardless. I'm just curious. I sort of suspect the lack of info here confirms what you're saying, but we'll see.

• Just to clarify re iPad 2: can we still use AB 2 the standard way on an iPad 2 or will upgrading AB at all be a bad idea?

• @Michael Would be cool if is possible that Loopy in Effect slot can record other Apps in input slot and can send at the same time the Audio to an App like Auria in Output slot…

Or better if an Otput app (Loopy) can be routing in another input slot in a new level for going through an effect and an output daw (Auria)

sorry, I think I'm weaving thoughts :)

• @sinapsya at first I thought you were just high but then it clicked. It would indeed be a killer feature for loopy to be able to make a live multitrack recording of a live session where that session might include audiobus input instruments.

• Clock sync and MIDI are currently not part of this Audiobus 2, yet. But as you can see that we're listening to your suggestions with regards to new features there's a good chance that we're tackling those next.

• Looks amazing!
    So could I record 3 apps in auria at the same time on three different tracks?
    Thanks!

• higs said:

Looks amazing!
    So could I record 3 apps in auria at the same time on three different tracks?
    Thanks!

You should already be able to do that right now.

• edited December 2013

Wanted to add that I love that you pulled out all the stops for the software (effect, channel limits) and put it back on the hardware for limitations. This is my case for adding the 128 sample buffer too. Let my hardware fail if it needs to, but at least allow the app to provide me that option. Hell, why stop at 128? Throw in a 64 sample buffer while you're in there! Burn baby burn! :-)

• I love that these announcements have appeared on my birthday 2 years in a row now... Please keep up the pattern! I may be turning 30 today but I feel like a teenager again!

• Ringleader said:

Wanted to add that I love that you pulled out all the stops for the software (effect, channel limits) and put it back on the hardware for limitations. This is my case for adding the 128 sample buffer too. Let my hardware fail if it needs to, but at least allow the app to provide me that option. Hell, why stop at 128? Throw in a 64 sample buffer while you're in there! Burn baby burn! :-)

It's not a matter of hardware. It's a matter of all apps in the chain supporting it (which is currently not the case).

• edited December 2013

@uglykidmoe Let us know if you get one...

• I just hope Apple fixes iOS7 so my third gen iPad works with music apps again. All I'm getting these days is glitches. :^( AB2 looks great, but I fear I'll never be able to take advantage of it.

• You won't need iOS 7 for Audiobus 2. It's compatible with iOS 6.

• Sebastian said:

It's not a matter of hardware. It's a matter of all apps in the chain supporting it (which is currently not the case).

So adding a 128 buffer size to the Audiobus SDK would force other apps to support it, or would it prevent some apps from being Audiobus compatible? Adding it to the SDK seems like a way to get everyone to be 128 compatible but I don't know how this works.

• This looks incredible!

• We can't force anyone to do anything. All we can do is make a good case and implement it in a way that doesn't break stuff.

• @Sebastian, consider the case that a user has the fastest device and wants to run two apps together with Audiobus at 128 sample buffers (think something low latency critical like an amp sim processing a real guitar), and everything happens to work great.

If there exists a case where it works fine then it shouldn't be restricted. It will never be the default and there can even be warnings when someone tries to set it that low. Allowing this falls under the same logic as lifting all the other limits you have in AB2.

Just my $314,159,265.

• I agree with @sonosaurus, and the same with the 1024 latency for older systems or heavily loaded setups.

• Hey! I cant wait for this update! This looks fucking amazing!

My question is how well audiobus work with a multi-channel audio interface. I need to be able to independently process 6 inputs and 4 outputs. how well this work with auria? will audiobus and auria be able to use different channels on the connected audio interface?

• All due respect to the guys for AB2, but I have to agree with the support for other latency options. If there is an insurmountable hardware/software problem with this, let us know and I for one will stop asking for it. Otherwise, can we at least keep it on the agenda? Thanks guys.

• edited December 2013

sonosaurus said:

@Sebastian, consider the case that a user has the fastest device and wants to run two apps together with Audiobus at 128 sample buffers (think something low latency critical like an amp sim processing a real guitar), and everything happens to work great.

If there exists a case where it works fine then it shouldn't be restricted. It will never be the default and there can even be warnings when someone tries to set it that low. Allowing this falls under the same logic as lifting all the other limits you have in AB2.

Just my $314,159,265.

Bingo! I obviously couldn't have said it better or I would have just typed exactly this!

Edit: and I saw your pi reference there. Well done.

• syrupcore said:

I'm pooping. It's a total mess. Looks amazing fellas!

Two think-it's-safe-to-answer questions:

1: can I save a big bus route preset that has 12 Loopy outputs in the input slots?

2: can the same output app be in multiple output slots?

1+2, use case translated: can I record 12 loopy tracks directly into say Auria with AB2? Possibly passing certain tracks through effects apps? Saved as a preset?

This!!

• Hey, a question nobody has asked: 48K sampling rate? That would save me having to buy a new ADAT line in box. Also I do game audio which wants 48K, I would rather not have to apply SRC from 44.1.

As other threads noted: Audeonics (MidiBridge) is likely to release MidiBus as an App RSN. Focus is precision clock management. SDK to follow.

• @jesse_ohio I missed the video Christopher put together. It would appear that the answer to at least the 12 tracks of Loopy out question is yes. Yeehaw! Hopefully @sebastian will chime in on the other bits.