Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 2 is launching on Thursday, April 3rd 2014

Comments

• Wow, it must be the highlight of the 2014!
    For me, the preset saving function is very attractive.
    I'm looking forward to getting it!

• Something Wicked This Way Comes......incredible..

• That demo video gave me a woody.

• If this works as well as it looks, AB2 looks like a shoe-in for best app of 2014! Thanks for sharing @Sebastian!

• I'm Very excited, but my ipad2 is not.

• Awesome. Part one of my many wishes seems to be getting fulfilled.

• Oh, can you make it that when you launch an app it "opens in background"? So when audiobus launches it, it doesn't have to make you look at the app for 5 seconds and then swap back to audiobus? Or is that due to have iOS works?

• I love the new design, but I'm i bit confused about what the big deal is?

I understand I can create multiple chains, but isn't that only a benefit if I want to insert effects between an instrument and my DAW/recording app?

While I understand that it will be a nice addition and allow me to use some instruments with effects inserted and some without (which is not possible with AB1), I can already do that with IAA effects in Cubasis. Of course that way I can only use the same effects on ONE instrument, with AB2 I can use them on several at the same time.

Still I love the simplicity of IAA and I hope AB will embrace them as Apple hopefully squashes the bugs.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me :-)

• edited December 2013

Stunning! Thanks for this teaser... guarantees a day 1 purchase here.

For the "bus route" presets: I would love a MIDI section to assign presets to MIDI CC. I know Michael can do this. :-)
    With all those apps going, who has time to swipe back to Audiobus just to select another preset?

Also, does this mean multi-track audio input is included? I know Loopy already has this option but what about the mic input?

• Wow. I need to find a way to upgrade my iPad really soon!

• edited December 2013

Will there be a way - (is it possible to make it so even given sandboxing?) - that you can not only save the "bus routes" but also the setups for each app? That would be very cool... :-)

• edited December 2013

MusicInclusive said:

Will there be a way - (is it possible to make it so even given sandboxing?) - that you can not only save the "bus routes" but also the setups for each app? That would be very cool... :-)

Please watch this space for further announcements about this.

• @Sebastian Just wondering if there will be a bypass option in the effects slot. Thanks.

• Sebastian, I just got home from my fourth twelve hour shift in just as many days, and like usual the forum was the first thing I checked when I got home. Watching that video made me smile, and I can't wait to buy the IAP. Looks like I'll be spending all my overtime money on a retina mini instead of a new bed now...

• protomike said:

Looks like I'll be spending all my overtime money on a retina mini instead of a new bed now...

While it's nice to know that you're anticipating Audiobus 2 I think the better investment is by far a new bed. Your back is going to thank you years from now.

• mgmg4871 said:

@Sebastian Just wondering if there will be a bypass option in the effects slot. Thanks.

There already is.

• @protomike: skip the dang bed, you'll be up all night with the bus which will be more like a Limo now!!! All I've got to say is you've gotta have some respect for Michael & Sebastian, this update is brilliant in design, functionality, but also in strategy for long term growth after being faced last year with that little IAA bump in the road. I just forgot how to spell IAA...

• Hi …Do you think Midi & Sync (the loopy one) are included in new SDK and AB2???

• SpookyZoo said:

God Damn Gorgeousness!

Looks just amazing.

Pleeeeease be iOS 6 compat!? )

And great music Chris.

Thanks @SpookyZoo :)

I had WAY too much fun making this video, Audiobus 2 is amazing! I got my new iPad mini Retina the night that I made this video so the timing worked out perfectly.

For this video I loaded some audio loops that I bounced down from one of my songs into Loopy so I could remix them live using my own apps Echo Pad and Swoopster, plus the AUFX apps, with the loops routed through separate effect chains in Audiobus. It's so much more flexible now, the configuration possibilities are awesome.

For that song I actually had 3 separate Loopy tracks as Inputs for one of the effect chains so I could process those 3 loops through Echo Pad, another single loop through Swoopster, another one through AUFX:Dub into AUFX:Space, plus one or two dry loops running on another chain. What you hear in the video is the actual live mix recorded straight from the iPad mini headphone output into my Apogee ONE which was connected to my iPhone, which captured the video as well.

I'll be making another video or two soon so look out for that. Best way to stay informed is through their newsletter. http://audiob.us/two

• @Sebastian Thanks. Now I'm very very excited.

• @HoldernessMedia You record in mono in put of ONE or have some mode to record stereo?

• edited December 2013

@Sinapsya - To record the iPad in stereo into the Apogee ONE I use an 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" cable, with the left channel connected to a female 1/4" to male XLR adapter, which plugs into the XLR input on the ONE's breakout cable. The right channel is connected to the 1/4" instrument input on the Apogee. Then in the Maestro app for iOS you set Input 1 to "Ext Mic" and Input 2 to instrument of course, then adjust their input gain so the signal is balanced correctly.

You also need to set the monitoring in Maestro to "Mixer" instead of "Out 1-2". By having Maestro open while recording using the native iOS camera app, I can monitor the audio live while I capture the video. The only quirk is that the iOS native camera app forces the audio to be summed to mono while you are monitoring it, but it does actually record it in stereo so it's not a huge deal. I just focus and imagine what it should be sounding like in stereo while I'm recording and it works out pretty well.

• Audio Starship!

• @HoldernessMedia This is what I have think I can do if I buy it….but I'm not sure if is good…
    Or you think Duet is better?

• edited December 2013

Looks great! But I'm still seeing 256 as the buffer size, come on 128!

• Looks good! I'm with @Ringleader. I'd like to see Audiobus add 128, but also 1024. This latency would be useful for those of us with older machines that want to render effects where actual playing may not be as important. So, Sebastian, can we get the following latencies? 128, 256, 512, and 1024? Thanks!

• wow, thanks so much, gentlemen!, this really looks amazing, can't wait to throw my money at you!

• @Audiojunkie +1 for 1024 and +1 for 128

@Michael I can add multiple output at the same slot? or is the only one slot that have single selection?

• Everything looks nice but is there some way you can propagate clock info so apps can be synced? Right now, it's hit and miss. A lot of the apps have syncable features but there needs to be one master clock if not in Audiobus, at least on the recording app. Will this be part of Audiobus 2 or is it in Audiobus 1 and I don't know about it? (Wouldn't be the first time!)