Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchpad upgraded - now on the bus!

Comments

• edited October 2013

...and import of user's own audio is only available via an "Audio Import" IAP which, wait for it, isn't shown in the LaunchPad Store! Doh!

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the OP had mentioned the IAP.

• lame... this could be an amazing app.... like Traktor, they ruin there own products by having no compatibility...

• I call Novation and they said the in app purchase would not be available for another 2 weeks or so?
    I don't get it the first thing it says in the New Update is Audio Import???????

• Lame. Also no core midi at all.

• Well at least it makes it a slightly more open system than it was before. Slightly...

• Can some one please explain to me why they refuse to support Audiobus? They give it to us with Launchkeys but not Lauchpad! This could be the IOS version of Live! I know they have to sell their Keyboard but would it be that hard to give us AB or IAA? And one more thing... To ALL of the Developers, I would be MORE than happy to pay for your updates( probably more than you think) if I could have what I need. In a world full of $100 $200 $300 programs $19.99 $50.00 apps are totally reasonable!

• Audio import as an in-app purchase? And no ACP either.

What is up with Novation and their iOS apps? This Launchpad app is a joke and the Launchkey thing just comes off as a gimmicky toy that wasn't meant for any serious use. They're both getting deleted now.

Either Novation doesn't take the iOS platform seriously at all or they're being very careful and cynical by putting out gimmicky cripple toys so that they don't jeopardize their hardware sales.

• Any Audio/Music App without Audiobus is not a serious one...

• How do I get my performed audio out ?

• Lol. Tape recorder? That's the issue. So backwards.

• Wow not even a bog standard internal performance recorder akin to Djay ?

That's crazy....

• edited March 2014

• Or No-Innovation.

• Pro Crastination

• edited October 2013

Hello all, Dave Hodder from Novation here (R&D Manager). I appreciate your frustration, as we feel it too - of course we want to add all of the features you mention and more, and wish we could move faster!

Rest assured that there is no strategy of locking down the app to "force" hardware sales - the openness of the hardware Launchpad has been a key part of its success. Audiobus support will require some fairly significant changes to the audio engine (particularly the timestretch side of things) and as such we've prioritised other things - yes, I know how that sounds, especially to this community!

Regarding CoreMIDI - there are plenty of other pad controllers out there, so using Launchpad as a MIDI controller (for iOS software or Live) seems unnecessary. Triggering clips remotely would be fun, but only if the clock is in perfect sync, and handling MIDI clock from another clock master will require drastic changes to the audio engine - so we want to be sure it's the right thing to do before we act.

The problem you (the Audiobus community) face is that as expert users of iOS for music making, you'll inevitably be frustrated when developers like us prioritise features for the mass market (for example, our in app soundpack purchases) above the very specific things you know you need. As developers, we face the difficulty of trying to build software for two very distinct groups of people.

Until now, we've prioritised the mass market, and had to take the minority of "it's just a toy" comments on the chin. As a company formed almost entirely from expert music makers, this is uncomfortable! However, as we see increasing adoption of iOS by experts like you, we have a legitimate business case for building software for you - so please understand that we're listening and very much take the platform seriously.

Finally, apologies for the clumsy release - everything is now fully available.

• Thanks Dave for coming..
    record, copy/paste required changes to the Audio engine too?
    And every future feature support cost 6,99$?
    Thanks

• edited October 2013

@DaveHodder67 Thank you for stopping in. I look forward to your future development of Launchpad for IOS musicians. Btw your honesty is appreciated.

• edited October 2013

Welcome to the forum Dave, some very interesting points made.

I think the mass market would like to record their sessions though and export to soundcloud Dropbox etc?

Is this possible or a planned future feature ?

Without this I find it hard to justify the audio import function purchase as I am unable to (without external equipment) record/mixdown and utilise my sessions....that I am aware of anyhow..

• Welcome Dave. Thanks for the reply and sorry about your chins.

It's a little weird that the 'mass market' is the target for the app when it certainly isn't for your hardware products. Or perhaps you mean we're a niche within the general electronic music making market and I've just misunderstood.

• Dave I appreciate your honesty, but if I am going to spend my money on your Audio Import Upgrade, which is a good feature to have, I must be able to do the following
    1. Record my performance
    2. Audio Copy my recorded performance into apps
    3. AudioBus and inter app audio is a must
    4. Midi Mapping for external controllers
    I understand you build controllers for your app, but don't be a next AKAI and NI by trying to lock down app to your hardware, that in itself would affect your app sales.
    I could only speak for myself, I love this app,would like to purchase the added sounds and Audio Import but because of its limitations I would hold off on making this purchase. If things change with a upgrade I would consider .

• edited March 2014

• @Simon +1000 better said

• I think we will see these updates eventually.....patience is key.......

• +1 for patience.

• While I agree that the features many have suggested would definitely improve the way Launchpad IOS interacts with other apps, I think we should take a step back and consider that their is no other app quite like Launchpad. How many IOS apps give you the ability to arrange and trigger 48 independent samples, while keeping time intact? I'm pretty sure the Launchpad audio engine needs every bit of ram and cpu time available. It is likely that adding audiobus compatibility would only lead to poor performance of Launchpad. Is that what we want?

• edited October 2013

When I take time out to think of what features would be of the most use to me in terms of upgrades I think of the following.....

-Recording of session inside app to an 8 track recorder for each channel

-Audiocopy/paste

-Midi clock sync/Midi in

-Audiobus input slot

• edited October 2013

Software Development inside structures and processes of a company as big as Novation is not the same as having a one or two man development company.

Time to Market is much longer and ultimately costs more. Lets also not forget what purpose this app has. It is complimentary to the Launchkey Family and as such perfectly fine in the current state.

• For the record, @kwalker0210 has exactly one post on this forum (at the time of this writing).

Great point Oliver. The big companies that get it done and get it done well farm the work out to indie developers!