Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do I get DM1 or Drumstudio to sync up with Cubasis

edited September 2013 in General App Discussion

Hello. I'm new here. Hope you can help me out.

I have the above mentioned apps. What I am trying to do is import a midi file (for instance "The Bends" by Radiohead which I am exporting from GuitarPro 5 - straight 4/4 stuff) into Cubasis and pipe the drums out to get some more realistic sounds. I figured out how to get DM1 to play along and can record its output into my project. It sounds great and I am very happy with it as I play and record. However, when I mute the midi drums and play only the recorded audio with the midi file it starts out great but glitches and loses time completely. This also happens with recorded audio from Drumstudio. Record sounds great but playback loses it completely. Midi playback is fine it's just the recorded drums which screw up.

Is there a setting or something I am missing?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2013

@wayni Welcome. There's instructions in this thread, but you're gonna need midibridge.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/19289#Comment_19289

• Thanks. I don't think that is the problem. I am setting DM1 up as an instrument. There is nothing recorded in it to play.

I go into the drum track of the midi file. I set it to "No Instrument" and send the midi out to "Virtual Midi" on ch 10 while DM-1 is running. When I play the midi file from Cubasis the drum track goes through DM-1 ok and in sync. I can also record DM-1's sounds via Audiobus. Everything sounds good. But when I mute the drum track and unload DM-1 playback is glitchy. Almost as if the audio record was tripping up.

With DrumStudio: I share the midi to it and record with Cubasis and AB. After count in I hit play for DrumStudio. It sounds great and is fully in sync. But when I unload DS and replay the midi with the recorded audio I get the same results as I get with DM-1.

Speaking of MIDIBridge. I did get it a few days back and tried the thread you pointed to. But it pegs the CPU really hard and my ipad becomes unresponsive. I have an ipad 2.

Thanks.

• Or maybe it is the problem. I don't know enough about AB/Cubasis/Midibridge to say...

• I use it with a ipad 2 without problems. Have you hard reset your ipad, holding down home button and power button simultaneously. Mke sure all other apps are closed.

• Also set AB's buffer to 512.

• edited September 2013

Strange issue! I would like to ask some questions to help clarify things in my head. If I understand what you are saying, you are going about things in an interesting and valid but different way than most people.... If I understand correctly, you are doing the following:

You load the midi file into Cubasis and then use virtual midi to control the DM1, and then record the result through Audiobus. When you record, what you are hearing sounds good and correct, but when you listen to the recorded track, it sounds wrong.

Going on the assumption that I understand the issue, I can see some possible areas where we may be able to start looking to resolve your problem.

We can only assume at this point (which is the wrong thing to do, by the way) that your midi file drum hits were sequenced using notes that coincide with the general midi standard. This would explain why you heard things play correctly at any point during the whole process--which also assumes the instrument that played the notes correctly also read the GM standard. (In all honesty, the midi sequence and Drum instrument could be using something other than the GM standard, but it is unlikely, since the the GM standard is what is almost universally used for sharing midi files).

Provided the things I have said are correct, there are several possible areas where things could go wrong.

The DM1 instrument: To my knowledge, the midi note numbers that correspond to each of the DM1's drum pads have never been publically documented by the company. A little homework can be done to determine this, and personally, I've always wanted to know this info. :-)

Note: How most of us have done things, is to use the sequencer built in to the DM1 to sequence the entire song from within the DM1 instrument itself, and then sync to Cubasis to play the song back in time with the rest of our song that has been put together within Cubasis.

Questions:

Is it possible that what you are hearing when recording is either 1. the drums that are built-in to Cubasis or 2. the DM1 instrument (whichever is the GM compatible instrument), and what you are ACTUALLY recording is a non-GM compatible instrument? If so, this could explain why your playback sounds completely wrong and glitched. (This scenario assumes that an instrument is not GM compliant).

If so, could you somehow be connecting midi incorrectly between the two devices?

Could either Cubasis or the DM1 have a bug when being used in this particular way? While Cubasis was designed to do this, I wonder if the DM1 has been adequately tested for this particular scenario.

This is just a starting point, provided I understood your description of your problem and procedures correctly.....

• @wayni: Another thing to check is the amount of free space you have on your iPad. I have an iPad2 and use Cubasis as my main DAW and have converted several old midi files to audio to take advantage of the great sounds in Bismark bs16i and noticed that sometime when I play back the audio it glitches and goes out of time (even though it sounded ok when I was recording it). This also happened when I was recording my guitar into Cubasis using iRig or Behringer UCA222 via Jamup Pro or Amplitube through Audiobus.

As well as shutting down all open apps, rebooting the iPad and switching on Airplane mode, I also had to make some more space available before the problems were solved - and it seems a lot of space is needed! I start to have these issues reappear once I get less than 4GB space available.

• Thanks for your comments and tips. It turns out that the problem was as AlterEgo described - available space. I now have 5GB free and it works glitch free. The other very cool part is that I stumbled upon the way to use DrumStudio as an instrument as well. Very happy and pleased with the results!

• I tried syncing DrumStudio, and for some as yet unexplained reason, it played back out of sync--extremely fast--like double or triple tempo.... I wish I knew what was going wrong.....

Glad you got your problem fixed! I'll have to remember that lack of space can cause glitching for future reference! :-)