Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We’ve updated Audiobus for iOS 7

With iOS 7 just around the corner, we’ve just released an update to the Audiobus app that addresses some issues. We highly recommend updating now to stay compatible with our community of apps.

We’ve been working hard at Audiobus HQ on a significant Audiobus app update (among other things!). Keep your eyes peeled for these in our next update: Audiobus connection presets, multi-channel input device support, and a third thing that we’ll tell you about later on.

Comments

• Wooow....on this update I have multi input and presets???

• No. Read Sebastian's post!

• Nice! Eyes are peeled!

• Getting excited.

• I don't think mine has updated! I pushed update now when I opened AB and it just sent me to the App Store and just said open AB. Still shows 1.0.2.1 version

• Can we assume the new version is backward compatible with the community of apps as they are at present?

• edited September 2013

I'm gonna take a guess here that iOS 7 will have a negative impact on the performance of the iPad 2, using more RAM etc. So I'm probably staying on iOS 6 on the iPad 2. But I hope you're not shutting down iOS 6 support just 'cos iOS 7 is being released?

Edit: Also, the third thing....It's more effect units and possibly a modular approach right? Right?! Spill it! ;)

• edited September 2013

@PaulB: Yes, the new version is backwards compatible.

@ChrisG: No, we're definitely not shutting down iOS 6 support any time soon. As for your other question: no comment.

@Sinapsya: These features will be part of the update AFTER this one.

It looks like Apple's servers aren't really keeping up with delivering new versions of apps. We've released the update hours ago and so far it's not appeared in the US store. Please stay tuned.

• It's in US store now.

• I don't post much but follow closely and I just have to say I'm continually impressed with the laser focus and professionalism that the Audiobus team exhibits. It is reminiscent of RIM in their early days and how Apple typically operates in terms of the discipline to choose excellence over features, despite the temptation. Keep up the great work!

• Yep. In Australian store too.

• I'm looking forward to the talent booster switch in the new update.

• Great news! I just hope apple will include at least 2GB ram in the new devices. Android devices are at 3 now. I often read in my apps.... Memory low, save your work.... 1GB is def. not enough for my Audiobus hunger ;)

• @AdamStu: Thank you very much!

• Congrats fellas. That's gotta feel great.

• @Sebastian I didn't see you respond to this question: Is this new version more cpu/memory intensive than the current version I am running? I, like several other people here, am running on an iPad 2. This is very important for me to know, BEFORE updating.

• My prediction is that the third thing is MIDI integration. :-)

• Hoping for more effects slots with bypass.

• Pretty sure that is coming too, as part of the multi-channel input device support. :-) I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is how things will be--possibly also with volume control for each (I hope).

• @audiojunkie,Im guessing Seb isn't able to answer that question because apple won't let him,but cubasis dropped the hint a few weeks back...2.5 x faster.

This I think is an ios 7 feature.

I'll eat my cuddies if your ipad performance (when making music),isn't improved.

What we may have tho are a few other issues and it may take till 7.1..7.2 for things to be soughted out.

Hope I'm wrong and this is only what I'm seeing on blogs ect.

• edited September 2013

Oh iOS 7 will definitely be a huge step forward for everyone making music with iDevices, with all the under-the-hood stuff like inter app communication (audio, MIDI and so on system wide). But on lower end devices, and iPad 2 is starting to belong in that group, it might be a better idea to stick with iOS 6 (you might need all the mb of those 512 mb of RAM on your Auria project or whatever, just as example). Or, Apple really did some magic and iOS 7 actually handles RAM better on 512 devices then iOS 6, I doubt it tho with all the extra eye candy etc they're stuffin iOS 7 with.

• I live in Thailand I just update and after that audiobus can't found any app.
    I delete your app and reinstall ,It's works now.

• @commonstookie That's interesting! I was under the impression that it was the audio engine rewrite that was allowing for more Cubasis efficiency. I have been suspecting that the improvements in Cubasis would go down this way:

If using 24/96 there would be no loss in efficiency--it would be the same as it already was. If using 16/44 it would be up to 2.5x faster in certain ideal cases.

Either way, I hope you are right and that iOS 7 offers improved efficiency.

Personally, I have been thinking it would be MIDI improvements, because 1. Sebastian has stated that all of the developers admit that Midi is crap on iOS, and that they are working on a solution. --he's already said that they are working on a solution. 2. iOS7 may be part of the Midi solution, and that may be why he is not able to say anything until iOS7 is announced and the NDA is nullified.

Midi as it is, is one of the biggest problems on the iOS that we have, in my opinion, and so I can't imagine Sebastian and co not working on a solution.

Either way, it will be getting really interesting really soon! :-)

• @ChrisG That's how I was thinking. I've spoken to someone who is beta testing iOS7 (not a developer), and he said that he hasn't noticed a decrease in performance with iOS7, but he hasn't noticed any improvements either. So, for me, it seems that Audiobus may be where things could get worse--that's why I was asking Sebastian to comment on the performance of this current Audiobus update.

• I only read what's made available by the bloggers/forums/Seb ect.So Sean,you've been involved in this community longer then me and have a better understanding.

Steinburg did say that but didn't explain how it works.
    They also chose to hold this feature back until ios7 drops.They could have followed their pattern of monthly updates.
    I just question why they held back.

There's not long to wait tho.
    I'm just happy to see apple look to AB,see its amazing and copy/improve on it so that music making on ios gets better.

• edited September 2013

Chrode @Steinberg said the audio engine had been optimized to run 2.5x faster. I don't think that had anything to do with Ios7. But anyway this guessing game is fun.

• edited September 2013

@commonstookie I don't think my understanding is any better... hehehe On the contrary, I'm an old fart that tries to read between the lines and often gets it wrong. ;-) I hope you are right and things are improved across the board....I just suspect things will be as the industry has always been.

Either way, I agree that there's not long to wait, and I'm really hoping I don't have to buy another tablet until the battery on my iPad 2 dies--at that point, I'll be ready to upgrade. ;-)

• @mgmg4871 Agreed, it is a fun guessing game! :-) Hearing everyone's ideas and suspicions and insights is a lot of fun too! :-)

• I'm in the same boat Sean..ipad2/16gb
    Whatever ios 7 brings us, I'm gonna treat myself to either mini 2 or pad 5...
    If the mini 2 has the A7x,I may even finish a track.