Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to get MIDI sync working with DM1

Cubasis

Load Cubasis, DM1 and MidiBridge. I have not tested if the order is essential, but this one works.

In MidiBridge, go to preferences. In the CoreMIDI Destination Host/IP Address field type "localhost" (without the quotes). Touch the Connect button.

In DM1, go to the MIDI setup panel via the Song page. Under 'DM1 Receives MIDI Data From:' select TEMPO for Network Session 1. Make sure Audio Background is on in the Song page.

That's it. Cubasis will happily start and stop DM1 and set the correct tempo without setting up any MIDI output, even with a new empty project. The limitation is that It will only work starting at pointer position zero, so if you stop, it won't restart from where you left off. Probably due to Cubasis only sending a continue event rather than a start event.

Meteor

The same MidiBridge trick also works with Meteor. In Meteor MIDI Options, just send both MIDI Sync and Song Position to Network Session 1 or All Ports. Same limitation re Continue.

Comments

• bookmarked! :-) Thanks!

• Awesome, thanks. Any love for BM2? :)

• I don't have BM2. Anyone else want to try?

• If I get time on my lunch today I can try based off the info you provided. BM2 is usually pretty MIDI-friendly but I'm a MIDI-noob so we'll see :)

• edited July 2013

As a way of keeping notes together, I wanted to document @PaulB 's suspicions about the cause for this issue:

Audiojunkie 6:37AM

@PaulB Great detective work!!! :-) So, we know that DM1 likely needs to listen to continue events, but what is it that MidiBridge is doing to allow the two apps to talk to each other in the first place? What are the apps missing that MidiBridge has? Are the missing parts of the communication coming from the DAWs or DM1?

PaulB 7:12AM

I think the DAWs are sending on CoreMIDI out, but the apps are listening on either a local version of it, or on Virtual MIDI. The MidiBridge localhost hack hijacks CoreMIDI and makes it available internally.

• I wonder how far reaching this is... I mean, would this be a general fix for 'most' of our MIDI sync issues? I'd be interested in knowing how many apps (that wouldn't sync previous to the discovery of this workaround) actually work when using this workaround.

• Thank you Paul.

• @Paul Great find. It does not necessarily have to work in that order. I started Cubasis and midibridge first and it still works. Thanks.

• So, would the workaround for starting at point zero be to create a 1 or 2 measure click in DMI if you don't want to start recording drums at point zero in Cubasis? Or is there a better way.

• Yes, I suppose you could have a blank pattern or two in your DM1 song sequence

• nice. work.

• @PaulB Are you going to share this on Discchord, Ipad Musician, etc?

• I wasn't planning on it. I expect it'll end up there.

• It should.

• Good:DM1 is running.impressive.Thanks!
    Bad:delayed.Runs behind the masterclock.Not possible to correct this as it runs mostly a different value behind.whenever i set the position pointer back to zero :(

• What's your iDevice? My iPad 2 ran perfectly in sync as far as I could tell.

• I have an ipad 4.All apps closed besides Cubasis,DM1 and Midibridge (tried it in audiobus as well but it made no difference).WLAN off,no Jailbreak,10GB space and iOS 6.1.3.
    So,technically,it should run i guess...scratching head.I'm really not THAT picky.The delay is big enough that it's definitely no fun to play it together with cubasis.

• @PaulB I agree with mgmg4871. This needs to be posted as a tutorial to Palm Sounds and Discchord, along with your suspicions as to why this works and what Hosts/Slaves need to do to work well together. I suspect that a big part of the reason a lot of this stuff doesn't work together without Midibridge is that developers don't know what they need to do to get everything working.

• I would bet if developers supported Midibus, it would be an easy fix!

• @jesse_ohio, you have any luck with BM2? Because I haven't... :(

• Ack, no, never did.... I realized after my initial excitement that I don't actually own MidiBridge, which is going to be a bit of a problem for this method :)

Problem is I don't feel like spending $9 on this right now since I've got plenty of other stuff to mess with and this isn't holding me back so much. But one day :)

Sorry!

• No worries! I DID pick up MidiBridge for this purpose, and I can report that I haven't been able to get this method to work with BM2 :/

• edited August 2013

A dream comes true ;-) really works. Thanks PaulB for this nice work around.
    @Crabman: On iPad mini, no delay nothing.

• Hmmm not to excavate an archaelogical site, but I've followed the instructions carefully and I'm not seeing DM1 start. Anybody care to troubleshoot this with me?

• Heh, nevermind, I GOT IT! WOO HOO!

Sayonara, BM2

• edited September 2013

wouldja believe I had "connect automatically" deactivated in the CoreMIDI net of MidiBridge? D'oh!

Anybody got any ideas for working around the start position issue? Maybe I can simply use the audiobus menu to restart DM1?

• Does DM1 support midi start messages? If not, can that be done with midibridge or FreEwi?

• Well yeah, it supports start messages to some extent, but you have to go back to point zero first. Midibridge might do it but I haven't got it to work - yet.

• edited October 2013

Hi,

BM2 will not start DM1 on my iPad4 thru MIDIbridge, but DM1 can start/stop/restart BM2 ( not perfect the first beat, then syncs fine ). Turn Swing off on DM1.

Cubasis syncs DM1 fine thru MIDIbridge, but when I add more drummachines sync gets screwed up ( iElectribe / Funkbox ). Exception: Rebirth did run in sync with DM1 and Cubasis, till I started switching apps.

Using: iOS 7.0.2

Cheers.