Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDImorphosis is out and on The Bus

Comments

• @jsb Sorry my comment was not about your age or the kit you have used. I would not comment on another forum member's integrity or life experience. My comment was more in relation to the bit where you said "tracks better than any midi guitar" which is a statement open to discussion about midi guitars. I was just trying to point out there are midi guitars with a far better midi tracking capability than midimorphosis. A point echoed by the developer himself. Midimorphosis does a great job on iOS and I've shown my appreciation of it with a five stars review. Peace.

• @SecretBaseDesign Thanks a lot for making this great app.
    I just tested it on the iPhone 5 and it worked quite well I must say.
    Obviously patches with a longer attack work best.
    I like the UI much better than Midi Guitar, G2M, and Shredder.
    I'll have to test a little more to compare the tracking accuracy but so far it's really not too bad. Some things work better than others, of course.
    I hope it will run okay on the iPad mini too. I had some issues with Midi Guitar there.
    For 2$ this is an absolute no-brainer. No excuse to not get it at that unbelievable price.

• @SecretBaseDesign I set MM on chords last night and midi'd to violin in Sampletank and was very impressed at the tracking. Great app.

• I'm really glad folks are having a good time with the app. So far, I've heard one report of a crash, and I've got a pretty good idea of what caused it, so I'll push out a fix ASAP. The audio paste also has some weirdness, so I'll take care of that too. And pitch bend; yeah, I know, that'll be in the next release. Intro pricing will end on Monday; fair warning on that.

Thanks for the positive feedback; it's really nice to hear. Please let me know if you run into trouble.

• This app is great. Had a blast playing Nave for a couple hours. I do have a question though, I tried combine the Synth with the guitar running through JamUp and it created some kinda weird read back loop. All the apps stopped responding, and I had to quit everything to stop the noise. I tried a couple different approaches with the same result. I'm on an iPad 3 with all current updates. Any advice on how to do this?

• @Mythmongrel -- you might be up against the limits of what your iPad can handle. MIDImorphosis hits the CPU pretty hard, as does Nave -- and some of the Nave patches are brutal. The demands of Audiobus are non-trivial too. I've seen Nave, Animoog, and a few others, freak out when my iPad gets overloaded.

MIDImorphosis doesn't need to be in an Audiobus slot -- and it'll require a little less CPU that way. I'd suggest trying things w/MM just in the background, and if that's not enough, stepping back on synth complexity.

You could also have your synth out of the AB pipeline, and record the MIDI (send MIDI output of MIDImorphosis to both your synth and to something like Cubasis). You could then render the synth patch off-line, which should keep the CPU demand low.

I need to finish a video on this -- but you can also record audio in MIDImorphosis (or bring it in with Audio Paste), convert to MIDI off-line, and then export MIDI to your DAW.

• Thanks @SecretBaseDesign very helpful. I was running MM in background and Nave also in background. As soon as I tried to get JamUp or Audiobus involved the iPad freaked. Also I should say I'm using the apogee Jam. I look forward to another video. Thanks for a great app.

• edited July 2013

Worth getting if I already own the MIDI Guitar app? Seems like this has more settings... and is 1/10th the price.

Edit: Nevermind. I snoozed, I losed.

• I was at a get-together with some guitar shredding friends over the weekend, and got my pal Devin from Copy Red Leader to do a demo -- so here it is. I've got a couple more videos of people playing with the app; I'll post them here when I get them up on YouTube....

• Can you tell us what the set up was? Like the trumpet I'm guessing was from SampleTank? Was the guitar sound coming from the iPad or was the signal split?

• The trumpet is BS-16i; that's one of my favorite apps, and it responds to MIDI quickly (some synths seem to have internal latency for MIDI). Guitar effects are from JamUp Pro (I think Devin used the stock Rectifier Solo patch), with the guitar going through an Apogee Jam. He doesn't have much experience with iPad effects apps; he normally plays through a Mesa. We didn't spend much time fiddling with the sound; I dialed up the trumpet, and that made him laugh, so we went with it. MM, BS-16i, and JamUp were all running on an iPad3; no Audiobus, as it wasn't really necessary.

The audio went from the iPad to the PA we had set up in the room, and I recorded that along with Devin through the Blue Yeti you see in the lower right, onto my Macbook. I then sync'd the audio to the video (my video camera audio input is awful). A little bit of Final Cut, and then off to YouTube it went.

• Thanks I've got the BS-16i so I'll give it a try.

• How did you feed the Jamup Pro output into MIDImorphosis without Audiobus?

• @PaulB You can run MM and the BS-16i in the background and then launch JamUp. It works fine for just playing. Getting it setup to record both sounds separately is a whole other question.

• @PaulB -- MIDImorphosis listens directly to the Apogee Jam, not the output of JamUp. The "clean" guitar signal is what we need, not the effected on. For recording the setup above with Audiobus, you could put BS-16i and JamUp into the input slots, something that records into the output, and do it that way. MIDImorphosis doesn't have to be in any of the slots; just convenient if you want to use the Audiobus control panel gadget.

• Ok, so what was feeding into Jamup Pro?

• Both JamUp and MIDImorphosis take guitar audio directly from the Apogee Jam. JamUp fuzzes up the guitar with distortion and whatnot. MIDImorphosis takes the raw guitar audio, converts to MIDI, and then sends that to BS-16i.

iOS provides shared audio inputs (as many apps as want it can tap into the microphone, or whatever main audio in ports there are), and also shared audio outputs (assuming all the apps agree to share -- which is the case for pretty much anything written in the past two years).

• edited July 2013

Ahh, shared inputs, that's the bit of info I was missing. :)

• Here's another demo, this time with Sapient from Abomnium. Sapient put down a quick tapping solo for me, and I'll be using that in the upcoming offline-conversion-demo-video.

• And yet another demo, this one with John from the das Binky Recording Collective. He's using MM with an acoustic, and noodling around a bit. In semi-related news, an update to the app is waiting for review; this will add in pitch bend for mono playing, and has a low CPU mode that will help with older devices.

• Looking forward to bending support! I can tell that John in that video above is as well :)

• Yeah, it's painfully obvious that everyone wants pitch bend. It works for mono in the upcoming release. With luck, I'll have the interval support locked down in the update after that (but I can already hear rrr00bb's voice echoing in my head, enumerating the shortcomings of MIDI!).

• Everything has its shortcomings, I'm sure you'll find a way.

• MIDImorphosis 1.5 has been released, and should be migrating to the Apple servers now. A bit of a price drop for the release. New in this version is mono pitch bend, a bit better handling of chords, and a low CPU mode so that it plays nice with other apps (like, for example, Progression, a tablature app for the iPad). Here's a new video:

I'll put together a video showing how to use the app with GuitarPro on a desktop (the iPad version doesn't really support editing tabs). I'll also post a video showing the off-line processing; you can import audio files, convert them, and then export MIDI.

• The offline processing vid would be useful to see. Thanks, @SecretBaseDesign!

• Ok -- here you go. Converting audio recording into MIDI (I'm using Cubasis, but this should work with most of the DAWs out there....).

• Very helpful video tutorial. Thanks.

• FYI -- we released version 1.7 this morning, with a minor update -- when there's a stereo input, analysis is done on the right channel, rather than the left. The FocusRite iTrack Solo has the vocal mic on the left, guitar on the right -- so the old setup wasn't picking up the right channel.

We'll add more robust input selection in an upcoming release, which should happen shortly after we get done with the current project....

• Can the convert to midi deal with piano chords?

• with the current project....

spill it!