Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A cry for help! (Problem with Auria and maybe my iPad in general)

I first raised this in one of the latest Auria threads where Ryan had recorded a video, but I don't want to hijack his thread so I thought I'd make my own.

Here's a video of the issue I'm having:

Basically, when I use Auria in Output and another app in Input with Audiobus, pressing record in the side panel causes playing notes on the input app to lag pretty badly. No one else seems to be suffering from this, and even a clean system restore of my entire iPad did nothing to solve the problem. I'm on the latest iOS, no jailbreak, iPad 3. Doesn't make a different which buffer mode I use with Audiobus, and I've set up the apps correctly (it happens no matter which order the apps are added in). No other apps are running in the background.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what I can do? Rim on the Auria forum is looking into it but I don't think he's come across this before. I thought that my system restore might sort it, and on that install I ONLY downloaded Audiobus, Auria and Thumbjam to make sure it wasn't something to do with a lack of memory, but since it didn't help, it makes me think that maybe there's something wrong with my iPad. But what could that be? The CPU not running properly or something? Has anyone heard of any iPad 3 CPU issues? Do the Geniuses in the Apple store have diagnostic tools that could detect a problem?

I think I'd like to stress test my iPad 3 against someone else who also has one, and I was thinking of running some CPU-intensive Alchemy patches to see where mine "breaks" (ie. notes clip or lag) against other people's, or some combo of Virtual MIDI to see if my iPad is lacking performance compared to how it should run! Now that I come to think of it, before the latest version of Loopy dropped, I was also having the above issue with that app with certain combinations of inputs. Hmmmm.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening here or how to resolve it?

Comments

• Have you tried turning off...

1)wifi

2)multi tasking gesture

3)Bluetooth

??

Just a long shot.

• Even if those were on, this shouldn't be happening, but yes, I have tested it in airplane mode and I have all multitasking gestures off anyway due to Audiobus. :)

• I get the same problem. It's totally random, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I keep thinking that Auria is too processor hungry, even on an iPad 3. Sometimes I can record successfully, and other times I have to ditch the project and start over in MTDaw.

• I am also on iPad 3. Been having a similar issue with beat maker 2 on output and for example sunrizer on input.
    Once and a while hitting the keys on my external midi keyboard controlling sunrizer will actually make bm2's clock "drag", for the duration of the key press. Very strange.
    This is why I don't understand certain dev's decisions to continue to add more features instead of fixing core problems like this.

• I had this problem on iPad 3. Guess it's an Auria problem because no other DAW behaves the same. Maybe it's too CPU hungry but why only when the Record button is enabled?

• It is strange, and the weird thing is that after the record gets going, the issue stops. By the time I'm a bar in, all notes are sounding normally again. But obviously it makes recording very frustrating - I suppose the workaround is to start recording "early" in the timeline and use extra tracks for splitting regions, but that's a bit of a faff.

• That's what I do, I start "early" in the timeline.

• I don't have Auria so I can't really help much, but I wanted to chime in here.
    I don't currently have an iPad 3 to really test this theory, but I'm beginning to think there IS something unique going on with the iPad 3 in regards to CPU usage.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that more users on iPad 3 in particular have a lot of issues with audio apps. I first observed this awhile ago with my own app Echo Pad, I've had more users having issues on iPad 3 than any other iPad model. I've also had 2 users in particular on iPad 3 that had bizarre crashes when trying to record that I was never able to resolve because I could never reproduce the problem on any of my devices, and have not had any other reports of this problem.

I've been noticing now on this forum and others other apps having bad audio glitches or bizarre behavior, again it seems more often than not, the user is on iPad 3. Maybe I'm just going nuts though, has anyone else noticed this?

• I don't know. I have iPads v.2 and v.4, everything seems to behave normally in Auria.

• Hi

Tried to replicate this on iPad 2 and iPad mini but had no problem at all, I even left wifi on and some others apps running in the background to try and tax the system a bit but all working fine, just a side note I've also been testing with a Focusrite 18i20 recording 8 trks at a time and again no lag,

• Latency specific to that setup in the video? I would test over a variety of apps because there are little gremlins that can pop up with certain combinations that have nothing to do with your iPad.

• @smeeeth It's every app. I chose Thumbjam for the video to show that I wasn't taxing my iPad - Sonosaurus writes pretty efficient code!

@Patrickmoore Seems like this is an iPad 3 specific problem, then. But not everyone's, because Ryan's is fine!

@FRibeiro @Dubhausdisco @girlsvsworld I'm trying to think of reasons why this would only affect some of us and not others, so I'll throw this out there: are you all in the UK like me?

• In the US here. Sunny Florida!

• I'm in Canada.

Given that the issues I have seem to only happen in Auria, I think it's Auria, and not the iPad itself.

Don't get me started on my dock connector though! :D

• I am facing the same issue...this is more pronounced with Auria, but I have also noticed this with MTDAW. If I connect the iPad (3) to my iRig Keys and start playing with both hands on, say, iGrandPiano, and output through AudioBus into Auria, after 3 - 4 bars, it starts to lag really bad, making it unplayable!! Any resolutions out there???

• This is the kid of thing I have found warrants:

• load Auria and start a new project with no tracks
    • shut down all background apps including Auria
    • reboot the iPad
    • connect the hardware
      ** power up the hub if needed
      ** connect keyboard(s) and control surface(s)
      ** connect the hub to the CCK
      ** connect the CCK to the iPad
    • run AudioBus
    • load input slots (but do not run them yet)
    • load and run Auria
    • re-open Auria and establish the input matrix
    • back to AudioBus and run the synths.

If this results in an overload or unwanted delay line, you need to at least unload everything and start again with fewer or lighter synths.

Changing the audio hardware configuration while software is running, while theoretically handled, actually can cause digital havoc and hurt your eardrums, your speakers, and any audience.

If you accidentally knock the CCK off start from the top, don't frantically plug it back in and hope for the best. To avoid that particular accident I use a 3' Cable Jive extension cable between the CCK and the iPad. It's worth the extra $$. I tried several cheaper extensions and they all had problems with USB audio + MIDI comms active.